A few questions before purchasing a better wifi adapter

element72

n00b
I have seen directional adapters, wide coverage adapters, multiple antennas, long antennas.

What is the difference and purpose between adapters with multiple antennas vs one long antenna. Is it always better to have an antenna on a wifi adapter? Are there any benefits to high gain adapters with no antenna?

What wifi adapter specification should I be aware of to prevent possible interference?

What is the longest distance for wifi PC gaming before experiencing obvious slowdowns?

First off, what is it you are looking to achieve??

Longer antennas are usually higher gain, that is they can do something useful with a lower received signal. i.e. a longer antenna adapter may give you '2 bars' where a shorter one might only give you '1 bar'.

Be aware that those 'bars' don't mean shit, they are not a measurement, they just give you 'an idea'.

Directional antennas are just that, they work, more so, in one direction, you would install this pointing towards the signal you wish to receive (your router in this case).

Multiple antennas are usually dual band adapters...you'll have one or more per band, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

What is the problem you are trying to overcome?

Is there categorically no way you could run a cable?

Back