A few questions about the Viewsonic P95F+

prime2515102

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had this 19" monitor for quite a few years now (it's got the first 19" monitor tube released [Hitatchi]) and I think it's time to upgrade.

Not too long ago a family member purchased a Samsung 900DF. I must say, compared to mine the picture is crystal clear (mine is abnormally out of focus I think and there's no controls for focus). However, I notice 3 things I don't like about it: 1) It's not nearly as bright as mine, 2) The color isn't nearly as vivid as mine and 3) on my monitor, black is black, on the Samsung it's grey - even with the brightness turned all the way down. I don't like that at all (I think it's why the colors don't look as vivid).

Anyway, I was eyeing the P95F+ because it seems to be a pretty popular 19" but was wondering about the black level. Does it get totally black (like it looks like it's off) or is it grey like the Samsung? Basically what I'm looking for is to be able to keep the picture really bright, but still have the blacks be pure black.

Does it have inividual color controls (like on mine in the color temperature section there's 'user define' and it's RGB levels)? I notice on Viewsonic's site that it has "ViewMatch® color" controls, is that what that is?

Also, I noticed that the P95F+ doesn't have a focus control either. Have any of you that own it miss that feature or isn't it really needed? The clarity is pretty important to me too because I'm pretty sure using this monitor is screwing my eyes up from being slightly blurry. Do you think a focus control would come in handy after the monitor has aged (like say, in 3 or 4 years)?

Now, you might be thinking "Why don't you just go to the store and look at one?" Well, the reason is because for some reason, there's a huge shortage of 19" CRTs around here. Out of 4 stores I went to I saw like 5 models and they were all very low end (I saw 1 Veiwsonic at Best Buy but it was a A90F). Everyone seems to be moving to LCD I guess (paying about 325% more for the same screen size doesn't interest me in the least).

Thanks,

Prime

P95+ I've seen and it exhibits some focus problems at high resolutions. Some people say theirs doesn't have the same problem. It looks pretty nice at lower resolutions.

I don't know about individual color controls though.

However, I use an NEC FP912SB (Mitsubishi DP930SB)) and it is quality through and through with great color and individual color controls. Even better control with the Naviset software.

Also, you won't find the P95 in many stores; the A90 and A70 from Viewsonic are the ones that most retail stores carry; but for the higher end stuff, you'll have to look into Microcenter or online.

Thanks for the info :)

I was also looking into the NEC/Mits... How is the black level with that one? Can you get it pure black while still keeping the colors bright?

Thanks,

Prime

On mine I can get pure black, and the colors are rich and sharp. If you can, try to get a close look at one. But my opinion is that it rocks.

Above 1280x1024, my P95f+ does get blurry. Compared to the average Samsung, black is black, far brighter, and color reproduction is excellent. Viewsonic appears to have skimped on the dot pitch, as that is the primary specification difference between it and the NEC mentioned. Personally, if you wish to run your screen above 1280x1024, I would look into that NEC, otherwise the P95f+ will do fine.

Well, I decided to probably go with the Mitsubishi. I was thinking it was like $50 more but it was only about $10 more, plus it might be cheaper by the time I buy it (it'll be another 2 months or so). I thought the refresh rate was lower at 16x12 also but it was up to 88Hz so that's good.

I'm going to keep looking around locally and see if I can find one to look at, if not, I hope I like it and won't have to ship it back - that would probably push it into the 21" price range lol

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it :)

Prime

Back