A few questions about the BX5a monitors

SolidFeather

Limp Gawd
So I had written this long topic but then Firefox decided to shut down :mad:

So lets just skip to the questions;

The BX5a would be a decent upgrade from the Logitech Z680 wouldnt you say?

Should I rather look into speakers+amp instead of these monitors? I listened to the BX5a at a speaker store and I thought they sounded great.

Do you need an amp for them, even tho they have a built in one? Would you benefit from it? I'd hook them straight up to my X-Fi.

they are studio monitors so if your looking for Good 2.0 stereo sound go for it
you can hook up an active subwoofer if you want too.

If you want surround sound 5.1 go with a receiver and speakers

So I had written this long topic but then Firefox decided to shut down :mad:

So lets just skip to the questions;

The BX5a would be a decent upgrade from the Logitech Z680 wouldnt you say?

Should I rather look into speakers+amp instead of these monitors? I listened to the BX5a at a speaker store and I thought they sounded great.

Do you need an amp for them, even tho they have a built in one? Would you benefit from it? I'd hook them straight up to my X-Fi.

No, you don't need an amp, and you can damage those speakers if you try and use one with them.

Also, If you like the sound, go for it! They're a great 2.0 setup compared to what you've got now.

i have the bx5as and i love em, the only thing i find lacking is the bass. there is bass there but its definitely not enough for me. keep in mind that the volume and power switches are on the back of each speaker so its not as convenient as normal computer speakers.

While I have not heard the BX5a's, they look like a solid choice. If you have the space, I'd highly recommend receiver & passive speakers. A decent used home theater receiver (pre-hdmi) may be purchased for ~$100. After looking at all the options for passive speakers, I chose the Dayton BR-1 kit from parts-express and soldered the crossover and built the speakers myself. They are wonderful.

I have listened to the KRK Rokit 8's and a pair of JBL monitors, both of which sounded great. It all depends on whether you want the added flexibility or have the extra space.

Back