• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A few questions about lapping

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
362
1. Does AMD care if I lap the processor?
2. If I lap the heatsink and not the processor, will it still be fairly effective?
3. Will bad things happen if stuff gets in the hole in the top of the IHS while I'm wetsanding?
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe said:
1. Does AMD care if I lap the processor?
2. If I lap the heatsink and not the processor, will it still be fairly effective?
3. Will bad things happen if stuff gets in the hole in the top of the IHS while I'm wetsanding?
yes.
yes. 5-8C just doing heat sink in some cases
no
 
Come to think of it, even though I bought retail, overvolting/clocking the 144 will void the warranty anyway. I guess I'll lap both of them after all.
 
lapping a cpu isnt so risky as you think, your prob better off poping the IHS off, too bad you cant pop em off prescotts
 
If I had some nice overclocking RAM id lap my CPU die.

Just to have a "Pimpron" instead of a Sempron.
 
how much water do you use when you wet sand the cpu?

doesn't junk get everywhere?
 
i just put enough water on the sand paper to prevent it from clogging up, you scrub the cpu later
 
ryuji said:
i just put enough water on the sand paper to prevent it from clogging up, you scrub the cpu later

what do you clean the cpu up with afterwards?
 
yeah lapping the IHS sounds pretty lame to me, just remove the heatspreader, it will get you better temps.
 
you cant remove the IHS from late northwoods or prescotts, there soldered/epoxied to the core
 
ryuji said:
you cant remove the IHS from late northwoods or prescotts, there soldered/epoxied to the core

yeah but the original post was talking about lapping his AMD
 
ryuji said:
you cant remove the IHS from late northwoods or prescotts, there soldered/epoxied to the core


check his sig, hes has neither of those chips
 
The Opteron will have the FX IHS, which is better connected on the inside. I'd only loose 1 or 2 degrees by taking it off.
 
Wow what a brave soul....please do post pictures and give us a heads up on performance :)
 
Lapping isn't dangerous at all. It's just sanding the heatspreader. You are correct about the Operon IHS removal being less helpful then removing the IHS on an A64. Probably still worth it though :)

Krayzie135, your sig is too long by 5 lines, max is 10.
 
ryuji said:
you cant remove the IHS from late northwoods or prescotts, there soldered/epoxied to the core
i pulled mine off my 2.4C northwood... after it was dead though :D but i think it would have come off alright when the processor was alive, i just never had the guts to try it.


of course the only reason i ever owned a p4 was because i kept either breaking cores off, or chipping them, because amd didn't have one anymore. as soon as amd adopted the ihs again i went right back to them.
 
Back
Top