A few questions about Intel?

nigerian_businessman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a situation I could use some help resolving. I've been out of the Intel loop for quite a long time, since the 300A days, at least from an enthusiast standpoint. As an AMD guy for years now, I'm pretty unfamiliar with all of intel's offerings. I read the tech sites like everyone else but my first hand experience, aside from the Dimension 2400 I'm typing this on and a few Dell's at work, is very limited. Reading tech sites is one thing, but hearing from the people who actually use a product day in and day out is a bit more helpful.

Anyhow, on with it. The other night, the PSU in my main rig took a dump and didn't go quietly. I don't know what it knocked out but replacing the PSU didn't fix the problem and I don't feel like replacing parts one by one to try and pin down the problem, since my main rig was a 3700+ claw 754 using DDR and AGP. I'm taking it as a sign to at least start moving towards more current tech like PCI-E and DDR2.

I'll preface my questions by saying this much: I rather not spend $250 on just a processor. I do want a dual core processor. I do want DDR2 and I do want PCI-E. I would like my new CPU to at least be comparable to my 3700+, since I was satisfied with it's performance. I'm not a benchmark junkie, and I'm not all about being on the bleeding edge, I just want decent performance at a good price. Right now it's looking like Intel has the budget dual-core crown, since the cheapest dual-core AMD is almost $200 more than the 805D chip.

Oh, and I can't wait for Conroe, so please don't bother suggesting it. I'm using my wife's computer right now and while it's fine for her, it's torture for me. I figure in 6 months or so once the prices drop and I can see the whole playing field, I'll pick up a new motherboard and whichever Conroe is the sweet spot and be on my merry way, but right now I just need something to hold me over.

First question is, can anyone tell me the relative performance difference between and 805D and my old 3700+? Stock for stock and with a moderate overclock? I ran my 3700+ at stock speed, for the record. I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly I will be at on the performance scale with a dual core, 2x1mb cache, dual channel DDR2 P4 in relation to a single core, single channel DDR, 1x1mb cache 3700+. I've yet to see a comparison against a 754 processor. By moderate I mean 3.4 to 3.6ghz. If I can hit 4ghz (and I'll try), great, if not, will I at least be in the ballpark of my old processor?

Second question, are there any recommended motherboards to pair this processor with that don't cost $100+? I dont want SIS or VIA, so please keep that in mind. I've been looking at the Asus P5LD2 ($120+ship@egg) and all signs point to yes, but if I can get 90% of the way there for around $75 I'd much rather take that route. I've been reading about power dipping or something like that? Don't want to be stuck with a board that has this issue.

Third, if I were to get the 805D, what kind of memory would I -NEED- to get to 4ghz? I don't know how intel systems react with dividers, or what kind of impact memory latencies and speeds have on overall performance. Any recommendations? I'd just like to know if I'll be alright with DDR2-667 or if I absolutely need 800 or higher in order to get the performance I want.

Fourth, will my new power supply be adequate to handle an overclocked 805D? I just picked up an Antec Smartpower 400 at Staples cause I didn't feel like waiting for one to be shipped. It has dual 12v rails, 14a on #1 and 15a on #2. The rest of my rig is typical - 2hd's, an optical drive, 2 fans, 2 cold cathodes.

Fifth and final, is the 805D really worth the effort or should I just step up to a 930 Presler? Im wondering if the Presler would be faster clock for clock and if the stock cooler is more effective. It doesn't make much financial sense to buy a chip that's $60 cheaper and older tech if I'm going to have to buy a $40 heatsink just to get the same performance. If I were to go with the 930 preseler, how do they overclock, would I need a more expensive motherboard to overclock, typical newbie intel questions etc etc?

I know I'm asking a lot and I thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

If you have to buy now, want dual-core, and are not willing to spend more than $250, your only choice is to pick up a low end PD.

There aren't too many good socket 775 AGP DDR2 boards out there- I don't think intel makes any, and the only non VIA or SIS chipset on newegg is the radeon xpress200 (which I can't vouch for). If you're bent on sticking with AGP you're going to get better gaming performance with an AMD setup.

If you run at the 400 divider I thnk DDR2 667 can be used to get an 805 to 4ghz.

you will need very good aftermarket cooling on the 805 to reach 4ghz. Otherwise the standard oc is to 3.33ghz. go with the 930.

playrh8r said:
By all means wait for Conroe (Core 2 duo).

Jeff

Oh, and I can't wait for Conroe, so please don't bother suggesting it. I'm using my wife's computer right now and while it's fine for her, it's torture for me. I figure in 6 months or so once the prices drop and I can see the whole playing field, I'll pick up a new motherboard and whichever Conroe is the sweet spot and be on my merry way, but right now I just need something to hold me over.

reading is fun...

Nakamori said:
There aren't too many good socket 775 AGP DDR2 boards out there- I don't think intel makes any, and the only non VIA or SIS chipset on newegg is the radeon xpress200 (which I can't vouch for). If you're bent on sticking with AGP you're going to get better gaming performance with an AMD setup.

If you run at the 400 divider I thnk DDR2 667 can be used to get an 805 to 4ghz.

you will need very good aftermarket cooling on the 805 to reach 4ghz. Otherwise the standard oc is to 3.33ghz. go with the 930.

I'll preface my questions by saying this much: I rather not spend $250 on just a processor. I do want a dual core processor. I do want DDR2 and I do want PCI-E. I would like my new CPU to at least be comparable to my 3700+, since I was satisfied with it's performance. I'm not a benchmark junkie, and I'm not all about being on the bleeding edge, I just want decent performance at a good price. Right now it's looking like Intel has the budget dual-core crown, since the cheapest dual-core AMD is almost $200 more than the 805D chip.

Any idea how a 3.33ghz 805D would compare to my old processor?

visaris said:
If you have to buy now, want dual-core, and are not willing to spend more than $250, your only choice is to pick up a low end PD.

Well, there's the 930D at $179, I just don't know which would be the better buy. AMD has ruined me.

nigerian_businessman said:
Well, there's the 930D at $179, I just don't know which would be the better buy. AMD has ruined me.
After reading around quite a bit, if you like to overclock the 930D seems to be a great overclocker, but I don't have any first hand experience with that perticular chip tbh.

Luck.exe said:
After reading around quite a bit, if you like to overclock the 930D seems to be a great overclocker, but I don't have any first hand experience with that perticular chip tbh.

Yeah, I've heard some mixed signals about it. Some people say it will overclock great, some say it depends on what stepping because some need more voltage just to run stock speed. One thing it has going for it is that its clocked higher (3.0ghz) stock and it's 65nm which means it will run cooler and without putting as much stress on the PS. I just wish I had some idea of how it will perform in comparison to my 3700+.

nigerian_businessman said:
Yeah, I've heard some mixed signals about it. Some people say it will overclock great, some say it depends on what stepping because some need more voltage just to run stock speed. One thing it has going for it is that its clocked higher (3.0ghz) stock and it's 65nm which means it will run cooler and without putting as much stress on the PS. I just wish I had some idea of how it will perform in comparison to my 3700+.
Well when it comes to everyday tasks and multitasking it would probably perform significantly better, you'll most likely notice it when you open say IE and WMP at the same time, or something like that as both cores will take up the different tasks. It may even be night and day for you as well. But for gaming I don't really know if it will be better, it might be a little bit better because you can assign affinities so 1 core handles the games and the other core handles all the windows stuff, so in essense you could have a whole thread just for games.

Back