a few problems that i would like answered please

[H]otspringtamago

Weaksauce
i'd first like to thank anyone who is reading this and willing to help me with my problems.

first off, the computer i'm dealing with is an hp pavilion xt 878 that has had a tdk 48x burner replace the stock 8x burner, the original pc1600 256mb stick replaced by 2 512mb sticks of pc 2100, tnt2 ultra replaced by a gf4ti4600, and an sb audigy added, with the dial-up modem taken out. it is also running an athlon 1.3ghz, has an 8x dvd-rom, and an 80gb harddrive that i have no knowledge about. the side panel is removed in order to cool it properly because it heats up like mad with the side panel on.

now problems i've been having recently are with blue screens of death. every once in a while when i'm playing cs, the screen will cut out and on the top left it says somethings, chiefly that there is a memory pairty error.

also, my cd burner has been having trouble buring to memorex media. i was wondering if it's the media or just that tdk burners have trouble writing to media made by other companies.

i again thank whoever will help me with my problems. and before you tell me to upgrade, i will be doing so in a few weeks/months because i am working on scraping up the money. :) thank you again!

If you are getting memory errors, there's no better way to get a first look than running Memtest86. The program will create a bootable floppy that autoruns the program. Enable all tests, and let it go all night. In the morning, "No errors" is the rignt answer.

....and, welcome to the forums...:cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

case = open
int x
if case == dirty:
run cleancase.exe
//use a compressed can of air
else:
print "Good job"

if x == 0:
goto: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=710208
//tweak guide, written by your's truly, may help, might not...try doing
//the first 6 (or 7?) things, the ones numbered, those might solve
//instability problems

if x == 1:
print "Good job, you already read the tweak guide."

oh and i do clean the interior constantly so i don't think that's the problem.... but thank you! and i'm getting to the guide^_^

also, even with the side panel off
heat might still be an issue
install MBM and monitor your temperatures so you can eliminate that as a root cause

PS, single errors in unbuffered RAM running memtest86 can often be explained by soft errors,
your looking for a consistent error

Originally posted by Ice Czar
PS, single errors in unbuffered RAM running memtest86 can often be explained by soft errors,
your looking for a consistent error
Ice - no dis, but from your own link:
Chip-level errors are rare because modern memory is so stable that it would take a typical computer with a large memory capacity at least 10 years before the radioactive elements of the chip's materials begin to decay.
...personally, if Memtest86 comes back with bad bits, I RMA the ram. No vendor I've done business with has ever refused to RMA ram that memtest has flagged as questionable when I tell them how I tested the memory. "Random" errors can easily be explained by lack of timing margin in the RAM subsystem due to a combination of MoBo chipset and RAM characteristics. Again, personally, when this happens it's RMA time.

....just my $00.02 - B.B.S.

a soft error will not repeat, and as mentioned they are rare but increasing with the decrease in curcuit density
if you have a single error or even two in a 24 hour period Id attribute it, but if your experiencing both at the same address\register, its a problem

(and I have a slightly higher rate than you B.B.S. as Im a mile higher in altitude :p)

a little more soft error info

http://www.arstechnica.com/news/posts/1071643989.html
"As the article linked above points out, the number of soft errors that the average user is likely to run into increases as component sizes decrease. Most of the articles that I've read on the topic seem to assume that the reason behind this is obvious, but I had to stop and think about it for a moment before it came to me: if the number of stray alpha particles passing through, say, a square centimeter of silicon remains constant, then the odds of one of those particles causing a soft error increases as the number of transistors per square centimeter increases. "

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG19990616S0016
http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/cyp/cyp211.html

Originally posted by [H]otspringtamago
i forgot that i also upgraded from windows me to xp. thank you for help!

Was that really an operating system upgrade or a clean install?

OldMX

yeah it wasn't a clean install. i'm going to do that when i have the time, because right now i'm doing school stuff. so the soonest i'll probably be able to do that is friday. but it will be done! ^_^ i want a clean and fresh system ^_^

Back