A Few New Processors

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
I hope many of you did not think "good ole" Evil would be laying low for too long ...

After all, I do have a Brand New Server Room to play with ....

Six Brand New Intel Xeon E5530 Processors arrived yesterday - all for dedicated F@H boxen.
t_6xE5530.jpg

High Rez Version - http://www.evilalchemist.com/images/FoldingFarm/CPUBoxen/E5530/6xE5530.jpg

Sadly, my Dual X5550 system is down at the moment until I get my RMA back from SuperMicro (Fixing the Turbo Mode Issue described in the Multi-Processor Area)

t_X5550RMATime.jpg

Hope to have it back online by early next week if UPS will get it here.

MMMmmmmm, nice Geek pr0n you got there Evil...:cool:

Damn, youre gonna see some nice pernts once the bonus kicks in
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Nice d00d

I just got my 5530's this week too!
And with K ramping up.

EVGA better watch out, good ole [H] aint going down without a fight.

note to self: get farm running so I can make witty comments lol

seriously tho, glad to see so many heavy hitters stepping up in these times, way to go guys!!

and nitro, youll get my vote for DC'er until you win, you deserve it man

Awesome!! :eek:

This reminds me what made this team so [H]ard in days of ole!! :cool:

This reminds me what made this team so [H]ard in days of ole!! :cool:

Trying my hardest for Team #33.

It sucks it will be another 30 days before I can get them up and running.
Supermicro told me I should have my motherboard back (for my main system) later this week.

I am waiting for the "K" man's next move ..... Cause I think he has something up his sleeve

Big WU's here EA comes...

These are for upcoming SMP2 :)

mmmmmmm yummy.

Three words for you Evil though..... it aint enough....

NEED MOAR D!!!!!!!

Evil if you need another board I have an extra MBD-X8DAL-i-O sitting here id sell ya cheap.

Evil if you need another board I have an extra MBD-X8DAL-i-O sitting here id sell ya cheap.

I might take you up on that.
Kinda worried about the reviews on newegg about the that lower heatsink not working well.

I finally got my main system back online and folding.

Now I get to start finding parts for these three systems.

Very nice Evil. :) Keep us posted on your build. I might consider building a dual socket build in the coming months. I had my eye on the Xeon 5520s on newegg the other day.

Does the 8 MB L3 help the Xeon 5520 versus the Xeon 5506 for folding? I put together a system on newegg and the cost/CPU speed for the entire system is very slightly higher on the 5520 versus the 5506. Bonus calculations might sway it a little bit if you can get a higher tiered bonus with the faster rig.

I also looked at the cost of the 60W CPUs versus the 80W. At my power costs it would take more than 10 years to recoup the CPU cost in power use.

Does the 8 MB L3 help the Xeon 5520 versus the Xeon 5506 for folding?

Xeon E5506 = 2.13 Ghz - 4MB Cache No Hyper-Threading - No Turbo Mode

Xeon E5520 = 2.26Ghz - 8MB Cahce - Hyper-Threading - Turbo Mode

Yes, the Extra Cache will help in folding.

As for the 80W vs 60W, that is up to you.
I would go for the 80W. The 60Ws are mostly for Blade/Dense Clusters.

Update: Parts have been orderd for my get my first system online.

• 2 x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail Item #: N82E16820231223
  • 2 x MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fan - Retail Item #: N82E16835150007
  • SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTL-i-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor 5500 sequence (Nehalem-EP processor) ... - Retail Item #: N82E16813182189
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Item #: N82E16822148451
  • LOGISYS AD202 12V Molex to 8pin P8 Adapter - Retail
  • Item #: N82E16812887002
  • SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail Item #: N82E16817151074
  • 2 x Intel Thermal Solution BXSTS100C LGA1366 Xeon Cooler
  • NORCO RPC-450 4U Rackmount Server Case 3 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Retail Item#: N82E16811219019

Had the cases for a few month, and the coolers & PSU came in last week.
The rest should around around Jan 4 so will post pics of the build as I go.

Any idea on how loud those coolers are? I need a couple for x5570's but would like to try and keep the noise down. I was really hoping I could get H50's to fit ($50/ea. from Fry's!) but there was just too much stuff around the socket for that to happen. :(

edit: I need to check the spacing between the sockets but I might be able to fit V8's on there, but if these are fairly quiet I'd rather save the money for more important parts of the system.

Any idea on how loud those coolers are? I need a couple for x5570's .

Not sure yet. According to the reviews of the "A" version, the fans are pretty quiet (Newegg)
(Per the review, they can be loud is not installed correctly which accounds for some negative reviews there)

The "C" Version should be the same.I will make sure I post those details when I work on the build

For 4u you need 92mm fans.
Best coolers I know for a 4u case are the Thermalright Ultra 90's/HR01 4u's, if you can find a pair.
Just get the 1366 adapter for it.
Also if possible get an extra set of fan brackets, that way you can set up push/pull cooling.
Your second cpu will run a little hotter as the size of the heatsinks means that they will probably have to be set up with one blowing onto the next.
But with good enough 92 mm fans, read large CMF, that should not be a problem.

I use Ultra 90's in push/pull to keep my i7's cool @3.9Ghz.
My hottest cpu is just hitting 80c.

Luck .......... :D

Thanks for the parts list. I am keeping it mind after our talk. Hopefully if things pan out over the next few weeks/months, I may be able to pick up a couple of these systems to stave off the 3 on my threatlist and go after the remainder of the top 10.

With these newer 5 series Xeons are there any dual proc mobos that support overclocking? Or is it possible to do those pin-blocking OCs?

With these newer 5 series Xeons are there any dual proc mobos that support overclocking? Or is it possible to do those pin-blocking OCs?

Interesting question. I know on S775, a pencil mod is available for OC'ing on a board that doesn't support it, but I've not read anything like this for i5 or i7.

Here is some news on the Builds.

Got my first motherboard in last week.

During Testing, i kept getting "Checking NVRAM" after BIOS post.
I could not get past that point to do anything with the system.
Thinking it was a defective board, i rma'ed the board and ordered another.

When the second one arrived, i got the exact same thing. At this point, i was really worried.
After about 1 hour with supermicro tech support, we determine it was a firmware issue.
(CPU & RAM worked great in my exisiting 5520 chipset board but not with the 5500 chipset in these new boards)

I tried about 4 different processors and even an ES processor to try and narrow down this issue.

The solution to the "Clearing NVRAM" was to use the original bios for the board
(Newest was 1.1 Default was 1.0C - downgraded to 1.0)

Supermicro tech believe newer code to support westmere may have caused issue with the earlier 55xx series of processors.

Systems are now working great and i am building out the other systems.

And yes, I have some pics coming!!!!

Last edited:
Here is some news on the Builds.

Got my first motherboard in last week.

During Testing, i kept getting "Checking NVRAM" after BIOS post.
I could not get past that point to do anything with the system.
Thinking it was a defective board, i rma'ed the board and ordered another.

When the second one arrived, i got the exact same thing. At this point, i was really worried.
After about 1 hour with supermicro tech support, we determine it was a firmware issue.
(CPU & RAM worked great in my exisiting 5520 chipset board but not with the 5500 chipset in these new boards)

I tried about 4 different processors and even an ES processor to try and narrow down this issue.

The solution to the "Clearing NVRAM" was to use the original bios for the board
(Newest was 1.1 Default was 1.0C - downgraded to 1.0)

Supermicro tech believe newer code to support westmere may have caused issue with the earlier 55xx series of processors.

Systems are now working great and i am building out the other systems.

And yes, I have some pics coming!!!!

Good, I was gonna say...... MOAR PICS!

First System Online - Second is being built out over the next few days.
Third will be completed next week.

t_E5530Cases1.jpg

t_E5530Cases2.jpg

t_E5530Cases3.jpg

t_E5530FrontFans.jpg

t_E5530Drives.jpg

t_E5530Heatsink.jpg

t_E5530Complete.jpg

Me thinks you will see a slight rise in your ppd.

A slight one .. maybe ...good for at least 200 PPD

Airflow in the Norco 4U cases is very good.

2 x 120mm fans with filters and 2 x 80mm exhaust fans.
Case makes wire management very easy and motherboard fan headers made a big difference.

The Intel heatsinks will scare the crap out of you on first boot.
The default speed was 8000 RPM and i honestly thought it was going to lift off the table.

Once i set the fan speed (in the bios) from server to workstation, fans went down to 1500 RPM.

A slight one .. maybe ...good for at least 200 PPD

Airflow in the Norco 4U cases is very good.

2 x 120mm fans with filters and 2 x 80mm exhaust fans.
Case makes wire management very easy and motherboard fan headers made a big difference.

The Intel heatsinks will scare the crap out of you on first boot.
The default speed was 8000 RPM and i honestly thought it was going to lift off the table.

Once i set the fan speed (in the bios) from server to workstation, fans went down to 1500 RPM.

8000RPM:eek:

if you set the case on its end it might lift off the table

Back