A few G500 questions

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
1) Does it operate at a 500+ Hz polling rate straight out of the box with no driver tweaks or SetPoint installed?
2) How do the DPI buttons function without SetPoint? Are there preset DPI levels that they select, and if so, what are the values?
3) Is the main gray face textured or smooth like the MX510?

Thanks.

I have the G500. It's a great mouse. The surface is smooth and not textured. You can select your DPI values and without setpoint they have preset values.

1) Does it operate at a 500+ Hz polling rate straight out of the box with no driver tweaks or SetPoint installed?
2) How do the DPI buttons function without SetPoint? Are there preset DPI levels that they select, and if so, what are the values?

Thanks.

1) Default is 500. With Setpoint, you can select up to 1000.
2) There are a total of 5 dpi settings you can have. You set can set them manually in increments of 100 between 200 and 5700 dpi (Setpoint is required for this). Otherwise, the default 3 settings (400, 800, 1600).
3) Main face is smooth. Sides are textured.

how's the scroll wheel> is it mushy? I love the MX518 scroll wheel overall feel. Can someone who has tried both comment please.

I have an MX518 right next to me (in the trash can, actually) and a brand new G500 sitting next to me. With the clickiness on, the wheels feel virtually identical - my MX518 has slightly more friction, but it's about 4 years old so that could be that. With the clickiness off, it's much faster and smoother than the 518 and great for web browsing or reading.

The G500 is a hell of a mouse and I highly recommend it.

how's the scroll wheel> is it mushy? I love the MX518 scroll wheel overall feel. Can someone who has tried both comment please.

The scroll wheel on the G500 has a noticeable amount more play in it side to side. This is probably due to the scroll wheel on the G500 having left and right axis and the detent/free scroll modes. It is also much flatter and is made of metal with a textured rubber strip instead of being rounded and all rubber like the MX518.

Mushy is hard to use as a word but compared to the MX, it is mushy I guess.

Just bought the G500 and so far I'm quite satisfied. The wheel isn't as flimsy as I was afraid it might be, it jumped straight to 500 Hz, and the DPI settings work just like nsx241 said. About the only thing that feels like it will take some getting used to is the location of the sensor, being very much at the top of the mouse versus at the center.

About the only thing that feels like it will take some getting used to is the location of the sensor, being very much at the top of the mouse versus at the center.

And used to it you will get. I play a good session with the G500 and then test a new mouse like the Habu and it just messes up my world having the sensor under my palm again. It took me about a week and I was good to go.

Noted. Also, it feels like the default highest DPI setting is 2000, not 1600, as I found my scaled sensitivity values feeling too high assuming it was 1600. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

out of the box without installing setpoint the USB polling defaults at 500 Mhz. The default DPI levels will be 1)400 2)800 3)1600 4)3200

Back