A few F@H setup questions

TED

Gawd
Hi, Ive just come back to F@H recently. I have some older hardware that I am not really sure on how to setup my clients on for best results.

I have a couple older AMD based computers - durons - in the 1.3-1.6ghz range.
I know these are not worth much PPD but it all counts right?
Should these be running smalls instead of normals or is there something else I do not know about?

Also have a Dual Xeon running at 3ghz each, 2gb ram.
I have attempted to run the SMP client on it yet I get an error while running the Install.bat file.
I am logged in as administrator so I don't think it is a permissions thing.
Should I have hyper threading enabled on these?
I am currently running 2 clients on it. It only gets about 128ppd per client currently,
I thought that would be a little higher.

For a laugh I am running the client on my print server computer which is an old 300mhz Pentium chip.
It gets 8ppd.

Thanks, and its good to be back.

TED.

It would not be feasable to run A3 or anything like that for your Duron's, however I would suggest a BOINC client for sure on those.

On your Xeon's, yes enable hyper threading.

What kind of error are you getting on the install.bat?

You may be logged in as admin, but are you also running CMD as admin?

FrEaKy- the error is "The system cannot execute the specified program." x3
I googled BOINC I will have to look into it more, but whats the difference between it and running the native F@H client?

arentol- I checked it is running as admin, and also tried anyway manually running cmd.exe as admin, same error.

I am going to reboot it and enable HT, maybe that will help.
Thanks
TED

Edit, I may have found my install.bat program problem, ill get back to you.
Edit2 Yep I forgot to install .NET ... :facepalm: Its all working now.

Edit 3
FrEaKy- looks like BOINC does not support F@H, I dont really want to spread my cycles around. I would like to stick with F@H for all of my boxes.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
With the single core systems, the unit size won't matter. I don't believe there is a time limit on them. It sounds like you have them set up correctly.

It will be interesting to see what the old dually will do with smp units. It sounds like it should make the time limit on them with HT on.

BOINC is a completely different project that Folding@Home, as I believe you found out.

And, welcome back!

With the single core systems, the unit size won't matter. I don't believe there is a time limit on them. It sounds like you have them set up correctly.

It will be interesting to see what the old dually will do with smp units. It sounds like it should make the time limit on them with HT on.

BOINC is a completely different project that Folding@Home, as I believe you found out.

And, welcome back!

There is a time limit, but it is usually 2 - 3 weeks from what I noticed when I was using the classic uniprocessor client on my laptop.

WU.PNG

Quick screenshot of what ive got going before work.

Its kinda odd, I have seen the ppd as low as ~6k and as high as a little over 10k.
It seems the fluctuation is mainly in my QUAD and 8800gt.
For instance, my quad has just started on a 6050, and its ppd is rated at 890.
The 8800gt's ppd is 4190 currently.

I will probably hit the 100k milestone tonight or tomorrow it looks like.

Its kinda odd, I have seen the ppd as low as ~6k and as high as a little over 10k.
It seems the fluctuation is mainly in my QUAD and 8800gt.
For instance, my quad has just started on a 6050, and its ppd is rated at 890.
The 8800gt's ppd is 4190 currently.

I will probably hit the 100k milestone tonight or tomorrow it looks like.

yeah the 8800GT will flucuate a lot.. you will get use to it after awhile.. my smp client does as well depending on what im doing the TPF will go from 5:30 if im doing absolutely nothing and not touching my computer to 6:30 if im watching a movie or flash movie.. but usually hovers between 5:50-6:09 while im browsing the web and shit..

Back