A fair trade?

Forealz

Limp Gawd
ere's the deal. I recently put together a system for my gf to play age of conan on. Her old system couldn't cut it at all, though it was a fine WOW system lol. Anyway, for the system I gave her an old Enermax 465w ps to power it all, 4 years old (it was in my old system). Her new components are
E8400
8800GT
4gb
She likes the performance :) On a side note, I think these three components together represent an immensely attractive bargain.

Although it is mostly stable, she has encountered a random crash here or there. Nothing serious like a reboot, rather her game locks up and she has to close it. I'm worried that the power supply is responsible. Instead of buying her a new PS or something like that, I'm considering proposing a trade.

I'll trade her my Corsair 520w for her PS which should help the stability. Then I'd ask for her 8800GT for my 8800gts 320MB. She games at 1280 and I game at 1680. I figured it would be a good upgrade for me and she wouldn't notice a difference at her resolution. Then she would have a power supply that would last a lot longer than a 4 year old PS that I had used quite frequently. What do you guys think, is this a fair trade? Would she notice a difference? She is very happy with her performance atm and I wouldn't want to downgrade her, but I figured at that resolution there would be no difference for her.

Get her a new PS and grab yourself new gpu after june 18.

In otherwords bad trade.

If this trade doesn't happen I'm going to end up giving her my current PS then buying a new PS with a new n260 or amd equivalent. That was the plan anyway.

But I'm probably just going to be playing Age of Conan for awhile. I already beat Crysis, so it doesn't matter to me, although if I did get a new card I'd definitely play through again on the highest settings :p

But I'd probably be fine with a 8800GT for AOC. I tested on my monitor and it plays very nicely at that res. I'd save some money going this route and may be just fine. Then I could wait longer for the inevitable refresh or ultra performance/price ration card that always comes out later in the life cycle.Thats my other thought, I suppose.

I even think my 8800GTS will regulate heat in her system better. The fan on it is impressive. My own comp has a more robust fan system that could better cool off the 8800GT.

I'm wondering if a 8800GTS 320MB would be a noticable difference from a 8800GT at 1280 res.

I have more than enough power to run AoC and still get lockups every now and then. I think it has more to do with the game than the power supply.

Back