A dumb thread containing a dumb question.

Jellylesg

2[H]4U
I have been out of the loop for the past few years so not only am I fuzzy on what's better than what these days, I can't remember what my own hardware's compatible with.

I have: GTX 280, Asus P5N32-E SLi plus, Q6600, and 2x2GB Geil DDR2 PC6400.

My computer is being a lazy slob - running 7 at 1920x1200.

I'm not just a gamer, I do a fair bit of encoding, video/layout editing and all that nonsense.

I can afford either:

A Q9300 which'll consume less power but offer no more performance out of the box, instead leaving more headroom for clocking.

An ATi 5850

or would I be best served getting some new RAM (with no idea whether I'll benefit from any DDR3) and trying to overclock my existing kit, considering I don't have enough disposable to upgrade multiple parts?

I'm leaning towards the RAM because it's cheapest and my PC's only showing 3 gigs in use, but I know the least about RAM so I'd likely end up buying a 4GB dual channel kit to use alongside my existing stuff and throttling myself, or something. See, I don't even know what I'm talking about there, for all I know that wouldn't happen.

UM

Yeah, can anyone tell me what memory I'd benefit from and could - preferably - use in conjunction with my existing stuff, which'd allow me to dial up the Q6600? Or, if it's better, tell me what else to consider instead.

LONG WINDED POST THIS, INNIT

I would check out other peoples experience in the overclocking forum and see if the could get thier Q6600 to 3.4-3.6. Then I'd go from there.

Since you didn't list the hard drive, we can see if thats part of the problem. You might benefit from a ssd.

Otherwise, sell the rig and build a newer unit if you can.

I'm leaning towards the RAM because it's cheapest and my PC's only showing 3 gigs in use, but I know the least about RAM so I'd likely end up buying a 4GB dual channel kit to use alongside my existing stuff and throttling myself, or something. See, I don't even know what I'm talking about there, for all I know that wouldn't happen.

If you have Windows 7 and you only see 3GB ram (out of your 2x2GB), you're not running it in 64-bit mode. Or, alternatively, you're not running on a motherboard with proper 64-bit support, and it's not remapping the I/O space properly. If you are SURE you are running Windows 7 64-bit, check in your BIOS for settings like "memory hole" or "memory remap," and mess with them - they might let you see all 4GB of ram.

If you want to add more ram, you will need a 64-bit OS, and you will need a 64-bit supporting motherboard. We need more information here first.

Second: I run Windows 7 just fine on a Core 2 Duo 2.67, 4GB DDR2, HD 4850, and an OCZ Agility 60GB. I wouldn't think that processing, video or RAM would not be a problem. You can check to see how much ram you are using by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Esc, and selecting the Performance tab. Tell us the number under PF Usage (preferably when you are doing your heaviest work on the system, or when it actually feels sluggish).

You might just need an SSD to make your experience smooth.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, right. I've a Samsung HD501LJ or whatever the first version of their current 500Gb spinpoint drive was. I was wondering if it was starting to wear out recently, actually, as I do see some disk error type stuff every so often, but it seems to be soldiering on and anything important's backed-up on to my externals anyway.

I did install a 64-bit version of 7, and had a 64-bit version of Vista installed before showing all 4 gigs. Unfortunately I can't be ENTIRELY sure that I had 4GB showing in 7 from the first login, but I noticed the slow-downs and 3.3GB shown in control panel (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1489381) since installing a custom visual style which included an explorer.exe file to enable features to work, so I just assumed it was due to that. I can't confirm this right now though as I'm not at my home PC, but I did consider that as a factor/cause for the recent gash performance.

I'm tempted just to play it safe for the time being, it still plays everything I own on high at 1920x1200, I was really just looking to spunk a bit of cash on something to make it a bit quicker at multitasking. Might just get a second HD501LJ, or HD502LJ or whatever it is now.

I'll have a bit of fun with memtest and all that sort of stuff tonight, and come back to you. But yes, it should be a 64-bit CPU in a 64-bit-supporting motherboard running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Upgrading your cpu to the q9300 and upgrading your gpu to the 5850 would not net you that much gain. I would say look into getting a a nice cpu cooling and overclocking to 3.4+ and also look into getting a nice SSD.

As I suspected:

sfaisbvfoasf.png

Anyone know why this might be the case, suddenly?

Anyway, since I'm just as well off overclocking, I think a bit more RAM might be a good idea, and some storage. My HSF's a good one. Is there anything I should keep in mind when looking for some additional RAM to put in, provided I can find out why it's only using 3.25GB?

Back