A decent travel/portable tripod?

maverick212

Limp Gawd
Need a new tripod for my rebel XSI. Seems like the most portable ones are tiny little cheap tripods and all the good sturdy ones are big and bulky and not very travel-friendly. Any good suggestions?

Have you looked at manfrotto's compact tripods? Such as the 718B. Alot depends on the lenses you going to be using and how much you want to spend. Typically smaller tripods can only support a few pounds so you limit what your able to use with it.

I have heard the the Slik tripods are pretty good quality, light and fairly cheap. Looking at B&H they run anywhere from $70 to $350 depending on what materials, features and weight requirements but still not a bad cost. Couple that with a good manfrotto ball-head and you should be good to go! Someone else around either here or one of my other forums recommended the Dolica's from Amazon.

Don't know much about these but they seem light, of decent quality and are dirt cheap. Add something like the 486RC2 and you have a decent setup for less than $200.
I am in the same situation you are as I am currently using a $30, wobbly WalMart special and dont really want to spend a TON on a tripod (would rather get my Sigma 530 DG Super flash and/or BG-E2N grip) but figure I need something as I plan to get out this summer for some landscape shooting.

little Gitzo GT1550T can be had for as little as $700 from B&H. ;) but seriously, how much are you willing to spend? QDren's advice is solid.

little Gitzo GT1550T can be had for as little as $700 from B&H. ;) but seriously, how much are you willing to spend? QDren's advice is solid.

Well, seeing as he has a Rebel XSi, I'm assuming he's not willing to spend more than a fraction of the cost of the camera. That being said, a sturdy (although not entirely top-notch) small and portable tripod can be had for about $80-150.

I agree you don’t need to spend much more than a $100-$150 assuming you’re not using large lenses or pro bodies. Just make sure you get a quality tripod. Accessories like tripods will outlast your cameras if you’re somewhat serious about photography. What are some you’ve looked at so far and haven’t liked?

Back