A-DATA 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC SSD Retail (Intel X25-M G2) $229 FS @Newegg

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
From http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1860635...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211412
Newegg has the A-DATA branded version of the X25-M for $229 with free shipping. This is apparently 100% Intel with A-DATA stickers, even using the Intel firmware (as opposed to having an A-DATA version of the firmware and having to hack the Intel version on). On the bottom of the drive, you can clearly see the model number SSDSA2M080G2GN and firmware 02HA along with the A-DATA stickers.

Considering the scarcity and gouging on the X25-M currently, this is a pretty good deal. A few months ago, I got my X25-M for this price after BCB and MIR.

I was just looking at this. Anyone have any experience with them to compare them to the Intel version? I've never owned anything by A-DATA so I'm just a little skeptical.

hopefully this is an indicator pricing will begin to fall. I'm sure adata got them from Intel for about 100-125 per unit in bulk.

Man I am so tempted. I need to get off Win7 RC..... But I want to get an SSD to install the full version first.... Hmm I have until March.... I am just not sure if the prices will drop at all between now and then.

Damn I am in a pickle!

Last edited:
This is a good deal, I'd pick it up if I hadn't already bought the ST 64gb a couple of weeks ago.

Man I am so tempted. I need to get off Win7 RC..... But I want to get an SSD to install the full version first.... Hmm I have until March.... I am just not sure if the prices will drop at all between now and then.

Damn I am in a pickle!
Most of the hardware sites are predicting that somewhere around Summer/Fall we'll see this type of pricing become the norm. We shouuld be seeing 100-120 GB drives using the better controllers a la Indilinx/Sandforce/Intel selling close to, if not below, $200. For those who don't need the space or can't wait, this 80 GB and some of the other ssd deals popping up lately are darn good from a price/GB ratio.

... On the bottom of the drive, you can clearly see the model number SSDSA2M080G2GN and firmware 02HA along with the A-DATA stickers...

I only wonder why the firmware is 02HA and not the latest 02HD.
Not a big deal if these will in fact flash with the Intel firmware, just wondering with after all the X25-M firmware
whoop-dee-doo and with 02HD being out since 12/08, why wouldn't these be flashed with the latest?

Man I am so tempted. I need to get off Win7 RC.....
But I want to get an SSD to install the full version first.... Hmm I have until March....
I am just not sure if the prices will drop at all between now and then...

One of the keys for X25-M price deduction (when it occurs) was that the 160GB Gen 2 only has
NAND populating one side of its circuit board. A few months ago, before all the firmware "fiascos",
several sources said that the part number for the 320GB X25-M version was already on several European
sites. At that time they predicted that all Intel would have to do is "flip a switch" on the assembly line, populate
both sides of the circuit board with NAND, and voila...the 320GB X25-M would be produced, which would theoretically
reduce the price of the 160GB and the 80GB models more quickly. However, the firmware issues and overall NAND
shortages have put this on hold. It could happen tomorrow or a year from now, we don't know, but it will happen.

Last edited:
hopefully this is an indicator pricing will begin to fall. I'm sure adata got them from Intel for about 100-125 per unit in bulk.

I doubt it.... their margins are certainly tangible, but 100% markup for a rebadge on sale seems like a little much, even for high end hardware.

Decent price though, it's a great SSD.

year their 25nm fab was cool looking.... I want to get all my PCs off spindle drives for OS....

it helps that I have a 9TB WHS for storage....

I have a 160gb x25-m G1 in my notebook and it is a much better experience than my Gaming PC which i just added a X4 945 AM3 CPU which is Priming stable now at 3.6ghz as I type... with 8gb of DDR2 800....

SSDs make such a HUGE difference!

Wow, this A-Data version is at least a lot more interesting than my "genuine" Intel X-25 M G2 ... I'm assuming it will also support TRIM? This is a good indication of a trend I hope we see continue. Do you think you could RAID this drive with the Intel branded equivalent?

Just curious.

Back