A couple wireless Questions

AcidTone

Limp Gawd
Ok im kind of a newb when it comes to wireless, I get the main points of it but im working on something and it has me kinda stumped. In the town that I live in I have two compaies that are offering wireless internet, however they both say that I will not be able to get signal at my house which I have already. What I am looking to do is put a parabolic grid antenna on my house and show them that i can pick up the singnal. Here is where I become kinda stumped I have an idea how to do it but not sure if it is right.

The antenna that I have in mind to buy has an n-type male coax plug, my question is how do i get this to my wired router and switch? What I was thinking run the coax to my basement where i can plug that into a wireless AP like a Linksys wrt54gs but my problem is does that AP have that connection for the antenna. then a patch cable to my other switch.

Give me a wired network and I woulnt have any problems this is just the first that I have really worked with wireless, so any hints tips or suggestions will be much appreciated.

"but my problem is does that AP have that connection for the antenna"

It doesn't? I thought that device had detachable antennas? Are you sure?

Grid with N connector to coaxial cable transmission run to what I'd guess is a SMA or Reverse polarity TNC connector on the WRT.

If only a few feet you can use something like RG-58 for your cable run. If in the neighborhood of 20-40 feet then you'll need LMR400. Pretty expensive just to show someone something. Have your cable made from you from an online company like hyperlink or hdcom. You'll lose db in the run anyway. If you try to crimp it yourself and aren't experienced you could lose anything you might gain by a high powered antenna. If this becomes permanent then you'll need to ground the run as well with lightening arrestors.

It is going to be about a 30 foot run, I am getting a 30 foot telescoping pole that im putting on my house and then the ap is going to sit in my attic, from thereI will run the Wired conntection down to my basement where my switch is installed. Im doing this because I know i can get signal from the one company and it will be a lot better than dial up. They just pissed me of when they came to my house and didnt even pull out any equipment to test if i was able to get signal, they looked and said nope and charged me 30 dollars.

Well after quite a bit of research and talking with one of my collegues this is how Im going to set it up. Im buying a Senao 2611-cb3 bridge (which has PoE), a dlink dwl p200 Poe Injector, and a plastic housing for the bridge. The bridge will sit on the pole with my antenna so that i dont have to spend a lot of money on LMR coax all I will need is the dongle that comes with my antenna. The nice thing about the way that im doing this is when and if I ever move I can take all my equipment with me. The companies around me that offer wireless basicly rent you the equipment. Plus it is giving me a chance to learn a bit about wireless which I might add is pretty fun.

Back