A+ Certification Question

Having a degree.... I feel that most of it was..... useless. I don't have any certs either. And there are definitely things I don't know, but then again, what I've noticed isn't particularly had to figure out for the most part.

Makes it seem even more stupid when I hear some of the questions... other people that have taken it mention... and I'm just sitting there... wondering if it's even useful (knowledge-wise) for me.

I want to do computer repair, not networking really.

I hate to burst your bubble, but 1.)There's hardly a market for people who only do computer repair, and 2.)The people who only do computer repair are the lowest paid and least 'job-secured' employees in all of the IT world.

The vast majority of entry-level positions (at least where I am) are all helpdesk tech positions, where they expect not only computer repair skills, but skills with networking and customer interaction, etc. Not only that, but most sensible employees generally don't like the idea of someone who is just barely capable; they'd rather hire someone who slightly more capable than the needs of the job. All of the 'worthwhile' places around here won't even look at you for even a help desk tech job unless you've got at least 1-2 years of previous experience and (at minimum) an associates degree, though if you're expecting to make above $40,000/year around here, you're probably going to need a Bachelor's degree. As far as skills go, computer repair is absolutely basic, and skill in networking, scripting, backups, Linux, Windows configuration (so things like Group Policy and Active Directory) are really needed if you want a decent job in IT. If you want to do strictly computer repair, you're going to be looking at making $8-12 dollars an hour, and most likely working at a computer store or Best Buy, with no benefits and little room for advancement.

In fact, the only places that seem to hire someone without experience around here are colleges/universities. They all seem pretty willing to pay students $9/hour to work on campus in entry level IT, and nearly everybody I've ever worked with in IT (myself included) started out as a college student working part time at their school's IT department. These college jobs generally assume anybody studying in a technical field and attending their university already has some amount of interest and skill in computers, and generally do not require certification of any kind.

But what I'd really like you to get out of this post is that you can make a good living as a help desk technician if you're willing to learn above and beyond 'computer repair', but if you're not willing to learn these things you'll be stuck with a crappy job at a crappy company making crappy pay.

I hate to burst your bubble, but 1.)There's hardly a market for people who only do computer repair, and 2.)The people who only do computer repair are the lowest paid and least 'job-secured' employees in all of the IT world.

The vast majority of entry-level positions (at least where I am) are all helpdesk tech positions, where they expect not only computer repair skills, but skills with networking and customer interaction, etc. Not only that, but most sensible employees generally don't like the idea of someone who is just barely capable; they'd rather hire someone who slightly more capable than the needs of the job. All of the 'worthwhile' places around here won't even look at you for even a help desk tech job unless you've got at least 1-2 years of previous experience and (at minimum) an associates degree, though if you're expecting to make above $40,000/year around here, you're probably going to need a Bachelor's degree. As far as skills go, computer repair is absolutely basic, and skill in networking, scripting, backups, Linux, Windows configuration (so things like Group Policy and Active Directory) are really needed if you want a decent job in IT. If you want to do strictly computer repair, you're going to be looking at making $8-12 dollars an hour, and most likely working at a computer store or Best Buy, with no benefits and little room for advancement.

In fact, the only places that seem to hire someone without experience around here are colleges/universities. They all seem pretty willing to pay students $9/hour to work on campus in entry level IT, and nearly everybody I've ever worked with in IT (myself included) started out as a college student working part time at their school's IT department. These college jobs generally assume anybody studying in a technical field and attending their university already has some amount of interest and skill in computers, and generally do not require certification of any kind.

But what I'd really like you to get out of this post is that you can make a good living as a help desk technician if you're willing to learn above and beyond 'computer repair', but if you're not willing to learn these things you'll be stuck with a crappy job at a crappy company making crappy pay.
I've been a member here for a while (over 10 years) and I rarely respond to a post but this deserves one. One of the best posts iv'e seen here regarding jobs. I have personally worked for my UNI here in Texas as a Network Tech and they pay crap! Right in the range you stated. I am also a CCNP candidate. I have been a CCNA for many years and that's what I was paid....for a short time as I did not stay for an extended period. To add to this post, I have had a A+ since I was in high school (2002).

First off, holy crap this is one hell of a thread bump lol.

Secondly, I've been a member of [H] for almost 10 years? WOW. I remember when I first found this board, I was trying to get help troubleshooting my first PC build. AMD 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+), 1gb of RAM, 60GB hard drive, and a Radeon 9600 Pro. I remember playing Far Cry and thinking HOLY CRAP :eek:

Anyways reading my 2 posts below made me realize how far I've come. I'm working on my CCIE Security, I'm a consultant making well into 6 figures, and I own my own IT consulting company that I'm growing. I came a long way from making $8.98/hr at the city
pachah1.png

when i went for my A+ i had no exp, and very little knowledge (passed in 2002) and it was a really big acheivement for me. i didnt really know the difference between ram and rom at the time, but i was focused and eager to learn. i read mike meyers a+ book and passed the test. truthfully tho, dont think the a+ is gonna mean ull get a job. it'll definately help, but it's no guarantee. do some practice question online (google A+ practice exam) and see how you do. in retrospect, the test is really simple, but when i was takin it it was hard. the fact that you're on hardforum shows you have some sort of knowledge. don't take classes for any tests tho, just grab a book and practice on a spare equipment. the only cert that may need a class is ccie exams, but that'll be a long ways off.

good luck with whatever u do tho.

that's 100% right. i work for the it dept in the city, and they are an embarassment to the craft. im the only cert holder in the dept, and im arguably the most knowledgeable in pc, linux and networking (im also the youngest 2). as far as i can tell in cincinnati, most people that i talk to don't have any certs, or if they do, it's just the a+. go for it, you won't regret it, and it wont hurt u in any way.

Yuck, $2200?

Anyway, if you know your stuff, it should not be that hard, you might have to brush up on things you might have never had to deal with, and stuff like IRQs (I think the newer version is supposed to be more modern, but not sure if they administer the modern version yet).

It's a multiple choice, you take it on a computer (and as such, you can know your school before you leave). It's also split into two tests that you take separately, the Hardware and OS tests.

You might want to look at exam cram books. I can't lend you one, since I read all my books online. Nothing like near complete access to O'Reilly Safari.

Heh. My A+ exam had questions about MFM drives :) It's been a while LOL

G=C800:5 to all !

Yuck, $2200?

Anyway, if you know your stuff, it should not be that hard, you might have to brush up on things you might have never had to deal with, and stuff like IRQs (I think the newer version is supposed to be more modern, but not sure if they administer the modern version yet).

It's a multiple choice, you take it on a computer (and as such, you can know your school before you leave). It's also split into two tests that you take separately, the Hardware and OS tests.

You might want to look at exam cram books. I can't lend you one, since I read all my books online. Nothing like near complete access to O'Reilly Safari.

$2200!!?!?! no way, don't even start spending that much. to the op, like BillLeeLee mentions, a lot of it depends on how much you know already, but DEFINITELY look at free online study guides and videos first. i studied and passed my A+ without out spending a dollar except for the test itself. from the videos and pdf guides i had, i'm confident that even people relatively new to working on computers can pass without dumping money into studying.

$2200!!?!?! no way, don't even start spending that much. to the op, like BillLeeLee mentions, a lot of it depends on how much you know already, but DEFINITELY look at free online study guides and videos first.

You realize that post was made ~7 years ago, right?

Back