A Brief History of Computing

#38... is about the playstation yet shows a guy playing super nintendo...

Sony's offering became the first home video game console to sell over 100 million units (among its charms: it can play audio CDs); Microsoft and Nintendo would respond with the Xbox and Wii.

Kind of mixing our generations, aren't we? Sega responded with the Saturn and Nintendo responded with the N64. The Xbox and Wii were some 6 years apart, and the PS1 and Xbox were about 7 years apart... who writes this junk?

Anyone else notice they left out the creation of the 64bit processor? Not a doctor but wasnt that a huge leap in the pc world when amd made the 64bit x86 processor?

Anyone else notice they left out the creation of the 64bit processor? Not a doctor but wasnt that a huge leap in the pc world when amd made the 64bit x86 processor?

The whole thing was dumbed down and consumerist. GTA4? The iPad?

How about programmable GPUs, ARM's rise, multi-core processors, heterogenous multicore (Fusion/Clarksdale/Sandy Bridge), SSDs, DDR memory, on-die memory controllers, broadband, stereoscopic/multimonitor gaming, fuck, any meat at all!

The whole thing was dumbed down and consumerist. GTA4? The iPad?

How about programmable GPUs, ARM's rise, multi-core processors, heterogenous multicore (Fusion/Clarksdale/Sandy Bridge), SSDs, DDR memory, on-die memory controllers, broadband, stereoscopic/multimonitor gaming, fuck, any meat at all!

Agree with you on this one, started out nicely but ended in a weird way. Seems like that guy needed to get something published fast to keep his job :D

This look at computing history was not for us, it is for all the people who pay us to fix their broken crap.

Maybe the "article" was put together by Life's fashion editor or something ? lol Fact checking for the win.

This look at computing history was not for us, it is for all the people who pay us to fix their broken crap.

That pretty much sums it up.

The early part of the "history" was pretty accurate and worthwhile. There were many gaps in there and after about"1970" it all went to crap.

The early part of the "history" was pretty accurate and worthwhile. There were many gaps in there and after about"1970" it all went to crap.

So the article entitled "A Brief History of Computing" is crap when it comes to the past 40 years of computing? In that case, why waste time viewing it? Just based on the comments here, there are some laughable inconsistencies about particular advancements in technology. I mean, I dont expect every Tom, Dick, and Harry to know the launch dates of every console but from a journalistic standpoint at least know the generations.

-Cool-

Tried to view the slides, but nothing showed up. I think my Untangle is saying "Not worth your time looking at this crap!"

Seems it should have been titled "A Brief And Inaccurate History of Computing".

Nothing about the Commodore 64 or Amiga (in particular, the A500). They made have faded out of existence now, but once played a huge role.

Back