A Blind Kid!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think the kid himself is rather admirable, this is just rediculous. He can't use his psuedo sonar in a video game. :/

Interesting. I want one even more now....

I say this because they have it fully ready. Not because he got one.

Cool video.

What made me a bit mad about it was Ellen talking about it. She's like, "I don't know what this is. We got you some new game. Here, take it."

So the show uses its clout to get a not yet released product and doesn't even care enough to even inform the host what it is? Something didn't seem right there...

Yeah, he'd make a freaking fortune if he chucked that up on ebay right now. :)

What were the researchers thinking?. How the hell can he play that. I mean jesus, what they gonna do next? give a top of the line 7.1 surround sound system to a deaf guy? A life times supply of Nike Airs to a quadraplegic?

Jealous though.

This reminds me when somebody (another talk show, maybe regis and kelly?) gave some blind kid tickets to the super bowl, wtf. He's better served to hear it on tv :p

Skirrow said:
What were the researchers thinking?. How the hell can he play that. I mean jesus, what they gonna do next? give a top of the line 7.1 surround sound system to a deaf guy? A life times supply of Nike Airs to a quadraplegic?

Jealous though.

Actually, deaf people like music. I got to RIT, and the have NTID here (nat'l institute for the deaf) and they 'feel' the music. So basically the louder the better for them lol, so that may be a good prize ;)

when i worked at a video store years ago, my biggest customer was an elderly blind man.

he came in with his aide all the time and rented over 10 movies a week.

"what do i need to see the picture for?", he would joke with new employees.

think that little boy can't play wii tennis without knowing when the ball is coming to him and swing
don't be so fucking judgemental because you have the ability to see.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Actually, deaf people like music. I got to RIT, and the have NTID here (nat'l institute for the deaf) and they 'feel' the music. So basically the louder the better for them lol, so that may be a good prize ;)

heh, its not quite the same..

I'm legally blind, when i was 13 they came out with a perma-temp fix. I know a few deaf people.. its the bass they can feel.. sounds are vibrations

Sight works off of light, when your blind its 100% gone.

I think its almost cruel to give him something he cant enjoy... but he might enjoy hearing his family members play and being happy and all that jazz. If i was short on money in his shoes i'd sell it

When their introducing him there's a quick scene that shows him playing some video game, the quality is too low to figure out what it is. He also says he wants to be a game designer, so obviously he's figured out a way to handle video games.

Wow. Well, at least he has a couple of grand if he EBays it.

I remember seeing him on some news bit a couple of days ago. Way to go!

This is a PR home run for Nintendo - this kid will find some way to make the Wii work for him, and that will make the Wii completely unique in the eyes of many.

todlerix said:
heh, its not quite the same..

I'm legally blind, when i was 13 they came out with a perma-temp fix. I know a few deaf people.. its the bass they can feel.. sounds are vibrations

Sight works off of light, when your blind its 100% gone.

I think its almost cruel to give him something he cant enjoy... but he might enjoy hearing his family members play and being happy and all that jazz. If i was short on money in his shoes i'd sell it

I was refering to the sound system as I good prize. I knew about the bass and vibration. There was a concert on campus and they were all right next to the speakers lol. Not really much you can do with the wii tho, maybe wario ware games, maybe, when it comes out.

Some folks are legally blind but can still see, kinda. He may have some vision, just not much.

todlerix said:
Hey genius. Did you not notice him sitting there playing some video game with his friend? How about the part with him playing basketball? How about him rollerskating?

Obviously he's found a way to game and I'm sure he'll figure out how to use the Wii.

... Shit! The kid got Twilight Princess?! ... And a Wii?! :eek:

GreenMonkey said:
Some folks are legally blind but can still see, kinda. He may have some vision, just not much.

I doubt it, seeing as how he doesn't have any eyeballs (they're prosthetic).

Kevlarman said:
I doubt it, seeing as how he doesn't have any eyeballs (they're prosthetic).

:eek:

Didn't watch the video, at work. N/m

CrimandEvil said:
Hey genius. Did you not notice him sitting there playing some video game with his friend? How about the part with him playing basketball? How about him rollerskating?

Obviously he's found a way to game and I'm sure he'll figure out how to use the Wii.

... Shit! The kid got Twilight Princess?! ... And a Wii?! :eek:

There's a blind kid that can play Mortal Kombat. I saw him kicking the hosts' asses on Attack of the Show IIRC

i dont know how someone completely blind can play a game.. it just doesnt make sense

of course there are games where sight doesnt pla a huge role... but yea anyone know someone that is completely blind and plays video games?

todlerix said:
i dont know how someone completely blind can play a game.. it just doesnt make sense

of course there are games where sight doesnt pla a huge role... but yea anyone know someone that is completely blind and plays video games?
I remember reading a story about a blind kid that could kick most people's ass in Soul Caliber. Lemme see if I can dig up a link.

EDIT: Here: http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/art...nebraska/281ce7038493b311862570490010fdce.txt

and here: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/arcade/leet-blind-gamer-kicks-fighter-ass-114220.php

could the video quality be any worse?

he could use the speaker in the controller along with a decent surround sound setup to play tennis on the wii easily. assuming the ball makes a sound as it moves

edit: at the end of the video he says "i saw a thing about nintendo wii on the internet"

someone care to explain how a blind person "sees" something on the internet?

200px-Time_Enough_at_Last.jpg

Henry Bernis approves of Ellen's gift.

/obscure, but funny as hell if you get it.

Torgo said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/34/Time_Enough_at_Last.jpg/200px-Time_Enough_at_Last.jpg

Henry Bernis approves of Ellen's gift.

/obscure, but funny as hell if you get it.
Dude! Thats awesome. :) lol

pandora's box said:
could the video quality be any worse?

he could use the speaker in the controller along with a decent surround sound setup to play tennis on the wii easily. assuming the ball makes a sound as it moves

edit: at the end of the video he says "i saw a thing about nintendo wii on the internet"

someone care to explain how a blind person "sees" something on the internet?
Hence, the reason why the audience laughed.

I'm sure he meant someone helped him "read" the article, wherever it was.

...but yeah, I must agree that the kid is amazing.

GreenMonkey said:

My friends dad is legally blind. He still drives around. But he wont drive around at night.

pandora's box said:
Someone care to explain how a blind person "sees" something on the internet?

Saw is probably the word you have issue with, but you have to remember that there are loads of screen readers for web pages that are used by blind people. As long as the pages haven't been designed by a demented chimp, most blind people should be able to "read" them fine.

i'd jump that kid for it..

he woudn't see me coming... especially there's a lot of noise outside... :eek:

I'm an asshole

however.. i guess it's good to know. .that the Wii is actually in full production...

He's blind!!! WTF

They should give him a seeing eye dog or something and give someone who can actually use it the Nintendo Wii.

"I saw nintendo Wii on the internet" lol...
props to that kid though, thats a pretty amazing talent imo.

Bad_Boy said:
if you're into tripping blind kids, im sure you'll get far in life. ;)

I bet you i will....

i'm doing pretty damn good so far...

I'm crazy.. i'll trip him and take is nintendo wii...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back