• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A bit confused about SSD and RAID

  • Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 96510

Guest
First, here is my rig:

AMD FX-8120
Crosshair V
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866
Corsair C300 64GB OS
2x1TB Seagate 7200.11 Raid 0 Programs and Data
2TB WD Caviar Geen Backup
Galaxy GTX460 SLI
Corsair GS800
NZXT Phantom

I moved 3 1TB mechanical disks to an IBM BR10i, so the only drives on the mobo controller are the C300 and the WD 2TB backup drive. In the BIOS I have SATA set to RAID. My understanding is that AHCI functoinality is still present, so that means TRIM should still be in effect. Correct?

Seconds, I have a 2nd C300 to create a RAID 0 boot array. What I have been reading is that having SSDs in RAID negates TRIM functionality except on Intel ICH controllers with newer drivers. Is this correct?

Summation:

Option 1: I leave things as is?

Option 2: Change SATA from RAID to AHCI in BIOS?

Option 3: Install the 2nd SSD and RAID the bitches?
 
Do you expect to gain real world performance with 2 SSDs in RAID0 over a single one? TRIM should still work if the controller is set to RAID mode, but not on drives which are part of an array. Basically you'll gain whatever you gain from striping the SSDs together, minus whatever you gain from TRIM. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a RAID0.
 
That's what I was figuring. My main motivation was to gain the benefit of moving some apps to the SSD array. Right now, only the OS is on the SSD. I am happy with it. I figured if I have the card, I might as well use it. Maybe the other can go in my HTPC
 
Some folks have reported SSDs in RAID0 arrays decrease performance. I assume that it could depend on file size. And as I'm sure you're aware, it would certainly depend on hardware versus software RAID.

TRIM on Intel controllers using RAID won't come till 11.5 is released. I'm not familiar with the AMD hardware these days but assume that would apply to you too.

I would put the OS on one SSD and apps on the other.
 
Back
Top