A baffling internet problem

U-238

Limp Gawd
I have a customers laptop, freshly reloaded (corrupt partition) that's giving me some real problems connecting to the internet.

It refuses to connect to all routers and modems except for a single Ethernet hub that I use here. When trying anything else it tries to connect and seems to for a split second before it tells me "A Network Cable is Unplugged". It does this non-stop. I've tried several different routers and internet modems and it does the same thing with all of them except this little hub I've got. (connects through it just fine) I've swapped cables, disabled firewalls/anti-viruses, tried different drivers, reloaded the laptop twice, all to no avail.

The only thing left that I can think of would be a bad Ethernet jack but it seems perfectly sturdy. It connected just fine before the customer brought it in for a reload. And it still connects fine off the hub. Just not anything else.

Can anyone here offer any insight? I'm completely stumped right now.

It kinda sounds like a speed/duplex issue.

You said you've tried new drivers, so I'm guessing that the nic is set to auto-connect. Try forcing it to 10/half, 10/full, 100/half, 100/full (can be done in the nic driver properties, advanced tab), and see if any of them work.

Failing the above, try a PCI ethernet card if you have access to one.
Also reboot all the hubs/routers etc in case they have crashed.

jobl37pam said:
It kinda sounds like a speed/duplex issue.

You said you've tried new drivers, so I'm guessing that the nic is set to auto-connect. Try forcing it to 10/half, 10/full, 100/half, 100/full (can be done in the nic driver properties, advanced tab), and see if any of them work.

Hey that worked! I set it to 10-half/full (auto) and it worked like a charm!

Thanks a ton.

Failing the above, try a PCI ethernet card if you have access to one.
Also reboot all the hubs/routers etc in case they have crashed.

Now to go find the PCI slot on my Laptop. Though I have seen full-size DIMM slots on a laptop before. who knows.

Glad you fixed it u-238. But I'd still look into it more 10mbps is quite slow for a lan connection.

Back