A 2.5 Gigabit Fiber Connection

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
How many users would a 2.5 Gigabit Fiber Connection support (bandwidth wise) if all the people were doing was surfing the net, downloads and etc....

I really don't think you've got a 2.5 gigabit connection to the internet.

Point to point, maybe, a trunk line, maybe, but not to the internet.

Let me put it this way - I work for a small ISP (perhaps 9,000 data customers in all), and at peak times, we just about peak our OC3, which gives us about 148 megabits per second after overhead.

Doliviss said:
I really don't think you've got a 2.5 gigabit connection to the internet.

Point to point, maybe, a trunk line, maybe, but not to the internet.

Let me put it this way - I work for a small ISP (perhaps 9,000 data customers in all), and at peak times, we just about peak our OC3, which gives us about 148 megabits per second after overhead.

I do have a 2.5 gigabit fiber connection. St. Olaf College and my company are using each others services, the trade off we, my company has access to their fiber.

So user wise, I'm looking about 18K - 25K in terms of users you'd think?

Yeah, I think that 2.5 Gbps probably is more of a point to point situation, but whatever.

That kind of bandwidth, with 'normal' internet activity I would say it would be more like anywhere from a quarter to a full on million.

2.5 gigs is ridiculously huge. I've never heard of an wan connection with that much power, I don't think it's even possible. Point to point, yeah, but not to the internet.

Doliviss said:
Yeah, I think that 2.5 Gbps probably is more of a point to point situation, but whatever.

That kind of bandwidth, with 'normal' internet activity I would say it would be more like anywhere from a quarter to a full on million.

2.5 gigs is ridiculously huge. I've never heard of an wan connection with that much power, I don't think it's even possible. Point to point, yeah, but not to the internet.

My understanding of it's route is from Northfield, MN to Minneapolis back down. I guess I'm not sure what that would be considered; all I know is that it's damn fast.

Doliviss said:

2.5gbps is an OC-48 connection (4x OC-12's)

it wouldent suprise me for a college to have that kind of net connection...

and the internet is nothing but lots of point-to-point connections, most backbone providers use huge pipes like OC-192's which are 9.6gbits

heck you can buy an OC-192 from level3 and a few other providers, assuming you got the cash to blow :p

"If you're gonna dream, dream BIG!!!"

2.5Gbps... good lord, that's... /me whips out the mental scratch paper...

Roughly 400MB/s give or take a few megs...

A full blown DVD5 ISO in 15-20 seconds...

"I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!!!" to quote Stimpy. :D

Wow, that's just... fast man. I'm envious in the extremes...

So what everyone is telling me is that I could have one hell of a lan party. :)

Question. If one had to pay for a connection like this, what would it cost?

I think it's almost needless to say a lot. I think the phrase I have heard is "if you need to ask you can't afford it"

Xipher said:
I think it's almost needless to say a lot. I think the phrase I have heard is "if you need to ask you can't afford it"

I ask only becuase I'm getting it for free. So curiosity is sparked and I'd be curious to know what it would cost if I had to pay for it.

Xipher said:

That old saying would definatley hold true in this type of situation. OC-48 speed internet isnt just something you "get" for free. Seeing how much a T1 and T3 line costs around here.. I.... This just doesnt make any sense. Something that costs that much (just think of the cost in hardware required)...

Im not sure how to put this kindly... I really have a hard time beleving someone would actually have 2.5Gbps internet and not know anything about it as far as costs or number of users.

It wouldnt be a single person wanting a oc-48, sure its possible to have that kind of pipeline in. (rough cost of a full oc48 is 70-100k, a month) So its hard to think anyone could afford that without it being a buisness.

The line exists, and it has a purpose.

Nacho said:
The line exists, and it has a purpose.

pr0n.....i mean, mission critical servers *cough*

;)

But seriously, that makes my ADSL2+ (24000Kbps,1000Kbps) connection look crap - especially when I only get a maximum BURST speed (download) of like 800KB\Sec... :mad:

bob said:
That old saying would definatley hold true in this type of situation. OC-48 speed internet isnt just something you "get" for free. Seeing how much a T1 and T3 line costs around here.. I.... This just doesnt make any sense. Something that costs that much (just think of the cost in hardware required)...

Im not sure how to put this kindly... I really have a hard time beleving someone would actually have 2.5Gbps internet and not know anything about it as far as costs or number of users.

Apparently you didn't read the post,

The company he is part of and the nearby college trade services. This also means the company has access to the college's fiber connection.

I currently have a customer with a 2Gbps connection to the Internet. We manage their network infrastructure including Firewalls, Load Balancers, Switch's, etc. They don't even come close to using all of this bandwidth.

2.5 Gbps of bandwidth will easily support 200,000, 300,000, or even 400,000+ clients depending on how much bandwidth each client consumes...

Theoretically, there are not many companies besides ISP's or hosting that have that many clients/connections and can consume that much bandwidth.

Hmmm... thats damn fast :D

But how is your PC connected to that internetlink ? Fiber to the desk :p ??
I want one of those, too...

I would state the situation again, why I'm getting the 2.5gigabit connection for free but you wouldn't read it and then again you'd come back with another smart ass post debunking why it's just not possbile for me to have a 2.5 gigabit fiber connection.

[BB] Rick James;1030437413 said:
I ask only because I'm getting it for free. So curiosity is sparked and I'd be curious to know what it would cost if I had to pay for it.

More money than most can afford.

DS3 is about 8k a month
T3 is about $18k a month
OC-3 is about $45k a month
OC-12 is about $100k a month
OC-48 is a ton more than that, last time I checked it was in the range of 300k+ per month
OC-192 - Sickly expensive
OC-768 - Price is so high that if you ask you can't afford it :D

With an OC-48 (sounds like what you have) you can host tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of users on the line. Only one problem: You mentioned the line was shared with the university, which means you'd need to first start bench-lining their network before you can start using it so you know how much headroom you have to play with. A university can easily have 30,000+ heavy users on their network, also they will be doing a lot of real time stuff, especially in thier imagine and medical labs, and that might saturate large pipes, so be aware of that too.

DS3 is about 8k a month
T3 is about $18k a month
OC-48 is a ton more than that, last time I checked it was in the range of 300k+ per month

With an OC-48 (sounds like what you have) you can host tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of users on the line. Only one problem: You mentioned the line was shared with the university, which means you'd need to first start bench-lining their network before you can start using it so you know how much headroom you have to play with. A university can easily have 30,000+ heavy users on their network, also they will be doing a lot of real time stuff, especially in thier imagine and medical labs, and that might saturate large pipes, so be aware of that too.

Good call. The college has 7K students and not sure what employees would add.

DS3 is about 8k a month
T3 is about $18k a month

Sorry to dig up this thread two weeks later... but those prices are way way to high. For one... a DS3 and a T3 are the same thing just different names. Also a DS3 from Level 3 can be had for around $3500 a month. Everything else is at least a third the price of what you said. Also... as per your estimates of users... maybe you should look at some of the fiber municipalties installations such as lafayette LUS. Some of these installations have mutiple OC-12s and OC-48s to serve a few thousand individuals. Were not in 1990 anymore.

Sorry to dig up this thread two weeks later... but those prices are way way to high. For one... a DS3 and a T3 are the same thing just different names. Also a DS3 from Level 3 can be had for around $3500 a month. Everything else is at least a third the price of what you said. Also... as per your estimates of users... maybe you should look at some of the fiber municipalties installations such as lafayette LUS. Some of these installations have mutiple OC-12s and OC-48s to serve a few thousand individuals. Were not in 1990 anymore.

I know that in the same county you and I live in, A business can obtain Verizon T1 service in two cities for around $500 a month while the last city in the county gets charged $800 a month. Covad only covers two out of the three cities and that is spotty at best in those two cities. Pricing can fluctuate wildly with geographic location and service providers available.

As for the number of users servicable, your nitpicking a generalization whereas no one can definitively say just how many users a certain line can support due to not knowing the specific usage patterns. Some areas can support thousands of users while others only hundreds of users.

Back