• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A 15mhz overclock doesnt make it "Extreme"

AndroidVageta

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
469
Case in point:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447 - XFX standard 5770

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150463 - XFX TOTALLY EXTREME 1337 VERS1ON!

Really? Since when does a 15mhz overclock really warrant a $10 price jack up and the "Extreme" tag. I can just look at my card and it overclocks 15mhz...I mean, honestly, in real world performance a 15mhz increase increases your FPS by what, .01%?

What happened to the days when manufacturers really put out true "Extreme" versions where the overclock was actually worth something?

The stardard 5770 from XFX above could 100% stable push that 15mhz overclock of its "Extreme" brethren and not even go up in temps 1 degree...its just insulting!
 
Maybe its just the usual gimmick with 'EXTREME FTW' edition on cards that have just been pre pverclocked slightly and stock heatsink?
 
Welcome to the world of marketing. It's their job to lie to you so you buy their product. Sad but true.
 
What moron in their marketing department thought it was a good idea to call it Xtreme? I thought we left that stupid term in the 90s.
 
Case in point:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447 - XFX standard 5770

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150463 - XFX TOTALLY EXTREME 1337 VERS1ON!

Really? Since when does a 15mhz overclock really warrant a $10 price jack up and the "Extreme" tag. I can just look at my card and it overclocks 15mhz...I mean, honestly, in real world performance a 15mhz increase increases your FPS by what, .01%?

What happened to the days when manufacturers really put out true "Extreme" versions where the overclock was actually worth something?

The stardard 5770 from XFX above could 100% stable push that 15mhz overclock of its "Extreme" brethren and not even go up in temps 1 degree...its just insulting!

Can I ask you a question? XFX says it is "Extreme". The FTC requires accurate advertising. So why the hell do you have to be a noob hater? It probably has something you don't know about, like unicorns can usually fly but they only have 1 horn. Figure that :rolleyes:




jokes
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well from my past experience, The one time I purchased a XXX edition card from XFX was the 8600gt. While my friend got the evga version, there might be many variables that could factor in the results but my card ended up overclocking a tad more than his.

In the end even more with todays easy overclocking of video cards its more of a user thing from what I see it. I have a few friends who wouldn't even overclock their old p3 machines in the closet and prefer paying a bit extra for it coming that way without them touching anything.
 
XFX seems to be about selling the sizzle but I can totally understand from a manufacturing/marketing perspective. Sometimes a big shiny sticker on the box is enough to convince a noob one product is better than another, lol.
 
Marketing are there to spread product awareness, make it stand out from the competition and thereby improve sales - it is their job to prey on ignorance and dazzle the uninformed with catchy slogans, pretty graphics and big numbers. I'm with Bill Hicks on what the majority of them should go do with themselves ;)
 
It's a load of marketing rubbish.

There is only a handful of cards built which truly have overclocking in mind, if the cards were reliable at higher overclocking speeds for the most part, then they'd just be sold with higher stock clocks.

It's funny though that we say things like "only 15Mhz", 15Mhz of course being 15,000,000 more clock cycles per second across a lot of parallel cores, still in modern games it doesn't make a noticeable difference, it's just nice to see how far we've come.
 
It's a load of marketing rubbish.

There is only a handful of cards built which truly have overclocking in mind, if the cards were reliable at higher overclocking speeds for the most part, then they'd just be sold with higher stock clocks.

It's funny though that we say things like "only 15Mhz", 15Mhz of course being 15,000,000 more clock cycles per second across a lot of parallel cores, still in modern games it doesn't make a noticeable difference, it's just nice to see how far we've come.

Exactly. XFX is being humble about all of this. They should call it XFX "Revelations" and petition to add it to the Bible. Imagine what you can do with 1 clock. Now multiply that by 15. Now multiply THAT by A MILLION. It blew up my mind. I'm trying to find my hippocampus. What? What? ....k.k..k..
 
Had one of those Palits. The fans were HORRIBLE, one ran at full speed constantly and was too loud, and the other one made squeeling noises. Plus, the card died in a few weeks time after I'd installed a 3rd party cooler on it because the original cooler was unacceptable. Bad memories.
 
The ironic part of all this is that people can actually spot these obvious marketing attempts to dress up products as better than they actually are but are stupid enough to buy products based on older generation chips that were simply renamed.
 
The ironic part of all this is that people can actually spot these obvious marketing attempts to dress up products as better than they actually are but are stupid enough to buy products based on older generation chips that were simply renamed.

LMAO! My thoughts exactly...

Lets see here...which do I want...the 9800GTX or the GTS 250...CANT DECIDE!!!
 
LMAO! My thoughts exactly...

Lets see here...which do I want...the 9800GTX or the GTS 250...CANT DECIDE!!!

GTS 250 was 9800GTX+ (not 9800GTX) so if we're talking the same price the GTS 250 hands down. There is a difference. I mean, its a tiny bit more energy efficient and its got a tiny bump in clocks, but its still a difference (its also more overclockable because its 55nm instead of 65nm, less heat). I thought ppl that were all 'PWN N0OBS' had all the info?

I've gotta agree with the original point of the post, though, there's nothing extreme about 15MhZ on the core and 50MhZ on the RAM. It's using the same cooler and everything, too, but I can guarantee they'll sell out. Kudos to companies like ASUS that make their "special edition" type cards have better cooling in addition to the clock bumps (of which are always higher than a lame 15MhZ).
 
GTS 250 was 9800GTX+ (not 9800GTX) so if we're talking the same price the GTS 250 hands down. There is a difference. I mean, its a tiny bit more energy efficient and its got a tiny bump in clocks, but its still a difference (its also more overclockable because its 55nm instead of 65nm, less heat). I thought ppl that were all 'PWN N0OBS' had all the info?

I've gotta agree with the original point of the post, though, there's nothing extreme about 15MhZ on the core and 50MhZ on the RAM. It's using the same cooler and everything, too, but I can guarantee they'll sell out. Kudos to companies like ASUS that make their "special edition" type cards have better cooling in addition to the clock bumps (of which are always higher than a lame 15MhZ).

some of the gts 250 512mb were overclocked 9800gtx(non +), cough Galaxy.
 
Weren't the new video cards supposed to have Turbo buttons again?
I remember seeing it in a preview last year. I guess it was just a special edition of a particular card.

edit;
Here it is:
http://www.bit-tech.net/custompc/news/604692/palit-puts-turbo-button-on-radeon-4870-card.html

I remember the review said something like "The card runs fine with the turbo button enabled 24/7, so why does it even exist?"

I have that card, the turbo switch is only good because it means you have a backup BIOS if you flash the crap out of it will come in handy. As for overclocking i cant get more than 815/4200 out of it and even then the driver restarts during MW2... (probably a MW2 issue as its fine in other games).
 
Back
Top