9x multipler or 8x multipler? Q6600

matrix563

Fully [H]
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
19,136
This damn 680i evga sli mobo and Q6600 are pissing me off.

It ran small fft prime 95 stable for 48 hours and 5 minutes before I was satisfied with the stability.

When I run seti though it locks up. I tried adjusting everything in the bios. I even scaled back to 9x333 for 3ghz and it still locked up.

I am trying it at 437fsb x 8 multipler. I am playing a 1080p video clip and so far it seems fine. (i'll know its not if it locks up ;) :p)

The bios is totally up to date as well. Is there anything else I can do?


ah damnit it just locked up :mad:

temps were about 70c with real temp when running small fft's with prime95, which was what ihad 48+ hours stable with. running seti gets me temps of 55-58c max. idle temps are 38-40c. cooler is zalman 9700nt
 
Blow a big fan inside the PC and see if it helps.
If so you know something is getting too hot.
 
Blow a big fan inside the PC and see if it helps.
If so you know something is getting too hot.
i have about 15 case fans that is not the problem. seeing as it was prime stable for 48+ hours, with temps that i would not be having for 24/7 use, i know my temps are not the issue.
 
1.37v BIOS or CPUZ? You may just be needing more volts for 3.5GHz, and given the Prime temps on the current cooler, I wouldn't risk it.

There's just not enough info, various BIOS volts settings (ram/cpu/mch/etc; auto or manual set?), hardware used (ie: 4GB OCZ - model # etc? - is it 2x2GB or 4x1GB setup?)... "adjusted everything" doesn't mean much..

You of course may very well have a "crappy" quad. While 3.5-3.6 seems very common, you might be one of the unlucky ones.

[edit] And personally, I'd just stay @ 9x multi if possible... A higher FSB @ 8x may very well lead to less overall overclock... And I wouldn't bother unless you can get *very* close to stock multi speeds, or use a program that's heavily FSB dependent. I'd rather have raw clocks over top end FSB anyday.

ps I don't think 9TB is enough space ;).
 
You of course may very well have a "crappy" quad. While 3.5-3.6 seems very common, you might be one of the unlucky ones.
i doubt its crappy when it passes prime95 for 48+ hours with no errors.

my issue is that the computer locks up while running seti.

this is the ram i am using
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227195
putting 1.8v in the bios into it, which is what its designed for. i run it unlinked and linked, same difference.

as far as adjusting all the voltages, i have tried changing the mcp, the spp, even the HT frequency. i've had the mcp at 1.55v, the spp at 1.4v, vtt at 1.4v, and all the settings at auto. i've even tried giving the cpu more voltage to no avail. so yes i have 'adjusted' everything. still have not found that winning combo.

the bios voltage is 1.475v, when loading prime95 it drops to 1.37v. (cpuz)


i'm trying to figure out what caues my computer to lock up doing anything BUT prime95. since it was prime stable for 48+ hours, it has to be something else.

yes i have run memtest and it was fine.



maybe its just what my friend said, 680i mobo's suck? i may have to get a x38 or p35 :(
 
the final thing i just tried was to switch the ram to the other slots for dual channel. i dunno if it will make a difference but hey why not? ;)
 
Well personally, I say screw Seti, but to each his own. Maybe try dual F@H SMP - some swear by it for stress testing too, saying it's more stressful than even Prime.

I don't quite get it either... It's fine w/ Prime, but ALL other programs result in a crash (or only Seti, you seem to say 2 diff things there)? Memtest TBH isn't all that useful, in this case at least. All you know by using it is that the memory is stable @ that speed. 1.475 should be more than enough to get stable @ 3.6 for most (let alone 3.5 or less), my 2 abit boards have taken 1.465 and 1.475 (BIOS) respectively w/ my quad...

I never much liked 680i's myself. The NF2/NF4 chipsets seemed a lot more stable overall.. Too many issues w/ 6x0i IIRC, at least compared to the Intel counterparts. Not ever owning a 6x0i board, I can't really say, but I seem to recall people saying they're very fussy trying to overclock quads. And re: the memory, I was just asking since 4x1GB's would be much more stressful on the board, but obviously that's not in play here.

re: The slots, you never know. I got slightly higher clocks on my old NF4/Opteron 165 rig by switching banks.
 
i dunno about f@h. small fft's on prime loaded my cores to 70c, while seti did 58c max ;)

i'm guessing f@h would match the small fft's.

ps why does your sig say abit IP35 Pro v1.1, ripV1.0? lol?

i'lll try fora bit more tweaking, but if no luck i'll run it at stock and wait till i can get another board and unload this 680i for cheap. heh ;)
 
well i tried the ram in the other slots (2x2gb kit) and its been running seti now for 7 1/2 hours. i dunno if the other ram slots were bad (as it was running memtest fine) but i hope this stability continues! wasn't gonna put 8gb on this board anyways, since i'm doing xp 32bit ;)
 
Back
Top