9ghz rendiathon@bit-tech

Depends, he could be doing some beowulf type cluster, he could be using third party render software that interfaces with the program he's using, or he could be using software that supports network rendering.

Some ways are more complicated than others.

He is using a clustering software. Mental ray has netrender which can use different platforms and different architectures and different speeds to render together. Its quite common.

Mental Ray built into Maya can be used for network rendering? I have a dual p3, Tell me how to make it work. The dualie has xp pro sp2 on it. Teach me.

Doesn't Adobe After Effects have network node rendering built in as well?

Look up Chromium, it does distributed OpenGL (though you need high speed networking Infiniband/Myrinet to make it work nice).

Distributing a predefined load like that is not only "easy", it's been done for quite a while. Most high end 3d applications have these components built in. Now doing real time distributed rendering across multiple screens, that is where its at :D

how does one go about networking/setting everything up for something similar to this, If someone has a link or something that explains how to set up the shared processing etc. that would be darn cool.

Thanks
Tyson

You need a network rendering que server for 3DS Max, and I imagine Maya as well. The que server does little more than simply dish out jobs to the systems.

I've set them up for 3ds Max. Its not that hard really. Don't know about the others.

Well if there is anyone in the Albuquerque area that would be up for showing me sometime, I would be interested.

Tyson

we had things like that @ work from silicon graphices theres 18pc in one unit each pc had 1gig of mem and 4 1ghz cpus

how much did this thing cost him. he says £400 but it had 2 be more for all the hardware

These systems are really common. When I visited Pixar a few years ago they had a room full of very high end Sun machines that were always doing distributed rendering. That was back when they were still doing work on Monsters Inc. and ramping up for Finding Nemo. I"m betting that the costs involved the networking hardware/cabling and the design of the case. The article is really only interesting since he built his own case to facilitate the hardware for distributed rendering.

Some simple googling will reveal how to do it, and I'm sure that documentation would be included with any program that supports it.

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/rendering/maxnet/

Back