9dba, 11dba, 14dba, 25dba...so many decisions!!

Compuwiz

Limp Gawd
So I have 5 case fans, 1 heatsink and fan, 1 graphics card fan, and then 2 power supply fans in my computer (9 fans total). My comptuer, isnt SUPER LOUD, but its definatly not soothingly quiet. The side intake fan and the two exhaust as well as the power supply fans came with my computer case (Raidmax cobra).

I got two Kingwin fans from newegg:
here
That is about 50dba right there. I dont know the decibal ratings on the other fans that came with the case.

So I have been thinking of replacing the fans with silent fans:
SilenX 80mm 9dBA Fan - $16
SilenX 80mm 11dBA Fan - $15
SilenX 80mm 14dBA Thermistor Fan -$12

and maybe power supply:
16.2 dB NX-4090 Nexus 400 Watt Quiet Power Supply
Fortron Blue Storm 500 Watt Quiet Power Supply

Obviously there would be a noticable difference in loudness from 50dba more than half the noise, but my question is, what kind of difference would there be between the 9dba fan and the 14dba fan? (greatly noticable, or barely noticable?). Also, I have read some reviews on the NX4090, the only down side to that from what I an read is the lack of lengthy power cables. And on the opposite side, I have an orange/red case, and the only down side to the 500watt blue power supply is that...its blue.

Comments?
Should I replace only the front two intake fans, or replace all my fans and power supply?

Money is not an issue, however I want efficient replacements, obviously want to keep the airflow through my computer nice and cool.

Thanks.

um, actually, dB is a logarythmic scale, meaning that the loudness doubles (halves) for every three dBs you go up (down). (all IIRC of course)

So 9 compared to 50 would be like 1: eleventybillion.

I think that +10db = a doubling of the sound pressure level, but that's also iirc. I'm also not sure how sound 'stacks', such that would 2x 25db fans make 35db (double) or does it work differently.

The 3db might be the amount the spl drops per metre you get further away from the source.

so...without all that greek language of iirc or whatever, you suggest going with the 9dba fans?

Compuwiz said:
so...without all that greek language of iirc or whatever, you suggest going with the 9dba fans?
lol, IIRC isn't a language...

psst.. If I recall correctly

So if my current fans push around 32 CFM, and the 9dba fans only push 19CFM...that wouldnt make a "huge" increase for inside case temp right? Two front intake, one side intake, 2 exhaust + power supply exhaust, that should be fine even with lower airflow? I think so.

Anyone know where to get cheap 9dba SilenX fans...besides their website.

Coming from 50dBa I bet you'll be happy with ~20. My CPU fan runs at 21dBA and I love it. 9 or even 11dBA is overkill. Pick yourself up those 14dBA ones, they're cheaper and move more air too.

Or I'd save even more money and fill your case with Vantec Stealth fans. That's what's on my CPU :)

3db is the magic number in car audio, a gain of 3db requires a doubling of amplification

volume doubles ever 10db

Okay, so I decided Im going to go with the 9dba fans. Now, what about the two power supplies? (Or any other 120mm quiet PS units)? Any suggestions? Quiet, and powerful, 400 or higher for wattage.

silenx lies about their db numbers. Simply put, they make quite fans, not the best but not the worst. They are so overprices. Their db are insanely out of wack. Check www.silentpcreview.com, they have imense knowledge about which fans are great. They dont recommend silenx fans and I wouldnt blame them, for price/noise ratio, they are complete BS

as mentioned above db is a log scale thus 10-50db is not 5X louder that would be a linear scale. also it isnt cummulative ie 2 * 25db fans dont equate to 50db again that would be linear.

Manufacturers play with numbers a lot, its better to read reviews, silentpcreview is a great place, you can read a lot there and get very good opinions.

If you want to reduce your noise my suggestion is look for Enermax Noisetaker series, I own one and its very quiet, not dead silent, but really a very good. I can bearly hear it. Also for case fans check nexus and globe, but they are pretty expensive and dont move so much air, IMO the best fans are Panaflo, they move decent amount of air and arent very noisy, and not as expensive.

SilentPCreview, Review: Enermax NoiseTaker 475 PSU
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page1.html

Yeah, Ive been reading up on that...Ive been having second guesses on SilenX. Im leanin towards Papst right now--9dba fans ($20 expensive), or 12dba fans ($17)?

...still, no one has said anything about the two power supplies I asked at the very top.

Back