9950X and 9950X3D is going to be terrific.

So, are we still expecting the announcement of 9xxx chips in June, but not actually go on sale until August?
Whenever the announcement is: I expect them to be on sale right then, or not very long after.
That's how AMD has done it, since at least Zen 2.

AMD normally announces new CPUs during Computex, which is first week of June.

And? Neither Zen 4 nor Zen 3 came out in June. I'm not sure where this idea that Zen 5 is coming out in June came from since that hasn't been the trend for 2 generations already.

Neither Zen 4 nor Zen 3 came out in June. I'm not sure where this idea that Zen 5 is coming out in June came from since that hasn't been the trend for 2 generations already.

so does that mean Zen 5 cannot come out in June?...Zen 3 and Zen 4 were their own separate thing...it doesn't mean that AMD cannot choose a different release date...rumors are that Lisa Su will officially announce it on June 3 with availability in July (or maybe sooner)

so does that mean Zen 5 cannot come out in June?...Zen 3 and Zen 4 were their own separate thing...it doesn't mean that AMD cannot choose a different release date...rumors are that Lisa Su will officially announce it on June 3 with availability in July (or maybe sooner)

Sure it can but my original question is who said it will? I haven't seen any indication that it's coming out in June so feel free to link sources. I googled it and the first 3 results all say the same thing, that it will be REVEALED at computex, but not released until later. So if you got something different then by all means share it.

1716750474030.png

Last edited:
Whenever the announcement is: I expect them to be on sale right then, or not very long after.
That's how AMD has done it, since at least Zen 2.
Wait what? No? Last I checked AMD usually demos chips without SKU names MONTHS before announcing specific SKUs, then when they DO announce SKUs its usually 1-2 months until release.

AMD have not even DEMO'd Zen 5 in ES form. No "here's it running cinebench" no "here's it running a game we sponsored" no "here's it running in a OEM system"... They discussed and demo'd Zen, Zen2, Zen3 and Zen4 months before any SKUs were announced.

My guess, for what it is worth lol, is that AMD will release (CPU) when Radeon 3+/4 (aka "the new RX580") is ready to go.
I think there will be a lot of cross promotion and bundle deals to be had. With that said it would be a late summer or early fall release, possibly later, as they have to finish off 7000 series stock and work down AM4.

AMD’s Next-Gen Ryzen “Zen 5” CPUs Might Be Launching as Early as August

Mini PC manufacturer, AOOSTAR revealed that the next-gen Ryzen CPUs based on the Zen 5-core architecture are expected to arrive in August...the Mini PC manufacturer is likely referring to the AMD Strix Zen 5 APUs as they make Mini PCs based on mobile chips and not desktop SKUs...with that said, we can expect the next-gen Ryzen Desktop CPUs featuring Zen 5 core architecture to arrive on AM5 socket platforms around the same time...

https://wccftech.com/amd-next-gen-ryzen-zen-5-cpus-might-be-launching-as-early-as-august/

Here's my question: how will it be possible for the X870E specifically to run DDR5 at faster speeds than X670E? Will this mean EXPO profiles specifically for one chipset or the other? Does this really mean X670E motherboards won't be able to run DDR5 as fast as X870E with the same CPU and same DDR5 kit?

Last edited:
I'm not touching X3D until they can get it working on both CCDs and don't need to slow the clock and voltage way down to accommodate for it

I don't need it to work on both CCDs because I only intend to buy the 9800X3D so only 1 CCD. As for slowing the clocks "way" down, a 400Mhz decrease isn't even that huge, well worth the performance gain that I get in games.

All this means to me is there going to be some insane deals on a 7800 X3D during black friday. Might actually upgrade. If the 9900X is close to the same price and similar gaming performance I might go that route.

There are already insane deals on the 7800X3D right now if you live near a Microcenter. 7800X3D + B650 + 32GB 6000Mhz ram for $480. But I understand not everyone lives near one.

Here's my question: how will it be possible for the X870E specifically to run DDR5 at faster speeds than X670E? Will this mean EXPO profiles specifically for one chipset or the other? Does this really mean X670E motherboards won't be able to run DDR5 as fast as X870E with the same CPU and same DDR5 kit?
Same way it was possible for X570 / X470 / X370 to have different memory clocking abilities with the same CPUs and DDR4- improvements to the mobo firmware and physical architecture. EXPO profiles will likely be the same since that's supposed to be generic.

I'm not touching X3D until they can get it working on both CCDs and don't need to slow the clock and voltage way down to accommodate for it
You'll be waiting a long time then. Improving the voltage tolerance of the stacked cache could happen sooner than later (speculation) but it's extremely unlikely AMD will do stacked cache on both CCD for consumer parts. It makes little sense for gaming which is the main use for the X3D parts. We're more likely to see more mixed CPUs down the line with one X3D CCD and one "C" core dense CCD.
AMD is more than happy however to sell you an Epyc CPU with V-cache on all CCDs- better get your wallet ready though because those don't come cheap.

There are already insane deals on the 7800X3D right now if you live near a Microcenter. 7800X3D + B650 + 32GB 6000Mhz ram for $480. But I understand not everyone lives near one.
Don't remind me, if I can get that in November i'm game. My only reservation is that'd benefit from a higher core count on occasion.
:sleep:

Same way it was possible for X570 / X470 / X370 to have different memory clocking abilities with the same CPUs and DDR4- improvements to the mobo firmware and physical architecture. EXPO profiles will likely be the same since that's supposed to be generic.
A quick google wasn't bringing anything up for me, but didn't those platforms actually have different, generationally improved chipsets? X570 introduced PCIe Gen 4 while X470 was on Gen 3, for instance.

X670E and X870E chipsets are identical. Prom 21 x2. Only difference is the requirement of a USB4 controller in X870E.

Last edited:

A quick google wasn't bringing anything up for me, but didn't those platforms actually have different, generationally improved chipsets? X570 introduced PCIe Gen 4 while X470 was on Gen 3, for instance.

X670E and X870E chipsets are identical. Prom 21 x2. Only difference is the requirement of a USB4 controller in X870E.

Better memory topology in the build of the mobos. You can see it already with Z690/B660 VS. Z790/B760. Many 600 series boards (which debuted with 12th gen) won't go above DDR5 6800, even with 13th/14th gen CPUs installed.

Last edited:
Hmm been Intel HEDT the past 10 years but maybe a 9900X might be a nice change...

A 9700X would do but I like to run my machines for 8 years at a time now.

If they come out in July I'll wait till November-December for some bug fixing to take place. Plus I like to get a later yield chip if possible.

We expecting higher temps than 7*** series?
Same TDP and same node (TSMC N4P), though I read it could be using N4X which has an efficiency bump over N4P. The clock speeds are higher, though, so I'd still expect thermals to be similar.
Did they mention the x3d parts at all? That's what I'll be interested in.
No. I'd expect them in around 6 months.

You'll be waiting a long time then. Improving the voltage tolerance of the stacked cache could happen sooner than later (speculation) but it's extremely unlikely AMD will do stacked cache on both CCD for consumer parts. It makes little sense for gaming which is the main use for the X3D parts. We're more likely to see more mixed CPUs down the line with one X3D CCD and one "C" core dense CCD.
AMD is more than happy however to sell you an Epyc CPU with V-cache on all CCDs- better get your wallet ready though because those don't come cheap.
Because companies always do what makes sense for gamers and not what would bring in the most profits

Because companies always do what makes sense for gamers and not what would bring in the most profits
Hmm, maybe you misunderstood my point? Of course companies do what's best for their profits, that's what I was getting at.

Putting VCache on both CCDs would be a huge boon for a very small number of users, but would cost AMD more to produce and wouldn't sell as well since it would be more of niche product. Therefore they won't do it, because it would not be lucrative for them to productize. That's coming from the horses mouth so to speak, direct from high-up AMD people who discussed VCache product decisions with GN when they did a tour of AMDs labs.

Hmm, maybe you misunderstood my point? Of course companies do what's best for their profits, that's what I was getting at.

Putting VCache on both CCDs would be a huge boon for a very small number of users, but would cost AMD more to produce and wouldn't sell as well since it would be more of niche product. Therefore they won't do it, because it would not be lucrative for them to productize. That's coming from the horses mouth so to speak, direct from high-up AMD people who discussed VCache product decisions with GN when they did a tour of AMDs labs.
To add to this, there are fixed costs with having an additional SKU that is physically different from the others, an additional assembly line being the main one, and then logistical costs associated with storing, marketing, and distribution of that SKU. There very likely isn't enough of a market for a dual v-cache CCD to generate a profit.

The 9900X is very tempting. I love how it's a 120W and not 170W part, too. I might hold out until the end of that generation though before upgrading because in all honesty I really don't need to upgrade my platform/CPU yet. More frames in Oxygen Not Included would be nice (a game that craves IPC because Unity multithreading sucks) but it's not a need. Not like it was when I was still on Broadwell-E/X99.

I'm curious what the actual power consumption of these new parts will be like. The lower TDPs of 9900X / 9700x / 9600X vs 7900X / 7700X / 7600X are interesting, but don't tell us a whole lot without knowing PPT.

There's also the question of how power-limited these things will be at default settings which plays into what all-core boosts will be, and how interesting Ryzen 9000 will be for tuners.

Many questions burning in my mind ahead of the review embargo next month.

from memory 7900x in eco 105watt TDP mode was really close to the stock 200w version, they were pushing them quite past the point of diminishing return:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-9-7900x-cpu-review/all/1/

Which led at the time a bit of an overraction about their power usage-temps, etc... those that many core CPU can of course use a lot of watt would you want for them too (and able to cool them-power them), it is not really the best question.

My point is the moment AMD thinks the can increase margins be having 3D cache on both CCDs they’ll do it regardless of how much it may or may not benefit games and gamers

From a quick read, people yet to update, depending on how iron out the memory controller and the little quirk (like slow post if you OC the ram) could be happy to have waited, but the x870 does not seem enough to be worth the update trouble if you do not have major issue with your current x670 kit for most people (if it allow 4x32, 4x48 to run well or 2x kit at 8000mhz maybe it will to some).

Which is part a bit of a deception but also kind of nice, that what make jumping into a new AMD platform an easy choice, faith you will not "need" (or more so want) to upgrade that board.

ryzen9000vs14900k.jpg

If we compare with TPU result of the 7950x vs the 14900k, at 720p 4090RTX (i imagine they are using a 7900xtx and different setting-drivers-game version..., so really gross comp)

7950x ->9950x performance relative to the 14900k

Boderlands3 : -23% ->.+4% (+35% boost)
Cyberpunk...: .+6% ->+13% (+20% boost)
CinebenchR24:-1.6% ->+21% (+23% boost)

Those seem good, +20/25% performance boost (+15% IPC, 7-8% higher boost)

Last edited:
My point is the moment AMD thinks the can increase margins be having 3D cache on both CCDs they’ll do it regardless of how much it may or may not benefit games and gamers
You're both saying the same thing but with different perspectives. You're looking at the potential demand side while the other is looking at it from a business operations standpoint.

From a quick read, people yet to update, depending on how iron out the memory controller and the little quirk (like slow post if you OC the ram) could be happy to have waited, but the x870 does not seem enough to be worth the update trouble if you do not have major issue with your current x670 kit for most people (if it allow 4x32, 4x48 to run well or 2x kit at 8000mhz maybe it will to some).

Which is part a bit of a deception but also kind of nice, that what make jumping into a new AMD platform an easy choice, faith you will not "need" (or more so want) to upgrade that board.

If we compare with TPU result of the 7950x vs the 14900k, at 720p 4090RTX (i imagine they are using a 7900xtx and different setting-drivers-game version..., so really gross comp)

7950x ->9950x performance relative to the 14900k

Boderlands3 : -23% -> +4% (+35% boost)
Cyberpunk...: +6% ->+13% (+20% boost)
CinebenchR24:-1.6% ->+21% (+23% boost)

Those seem good, +20/25% performance boost (+15% IPC, 7-8% higher boost)
X870 looks like an easy pass for X670E owners. If the vendors decide to offer a bunch of features and PCIe slots under $300 I could see people being annoyed. I doubt that will happen though.

X870 looks like an easy pass for X670E owners. If the vendors decide to offer a bunch of features and PCIe slots under $300 I could see people being annoyed. I doubt that will happen though.
I'd guess x870 is most appealing to those who don't currently have AM5 boards and can buy something knowing it'll work with the new CPU's and not have to worry about how to perform a bios flashback

I'd guess x870 is most appealing to those who don't currently have AM5 boards and can buy something knowing it'll work with the new CPU's and not have to worry about how to perform a bios flashback
Exactly, it doesn't offer much new, just a small iteration but anyone jumping on AM5 should go right to it vs. the older 600's.

Back