9900k workstation build input.

mhaskell

[H]ard|Gawd
I am upgrading my Solidworks workstation and would like feedback if there are any places to improve performance. Solidworks tends to like high clock speed and fast storage, with seems to be optimized for intel CPUs at this time.

This machine is dedicated to CAD work only; all simulations are done on a separate thread ripper workstation.

This is in my home office, and noise reduction is a big priority. Does anyone make a water block for the Radeon Pro card? I was unable to find any specific blocks, might try out a universal block if needed.

· Radeon Pro WX 8200

· ASUS Intel ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE Z390

· G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200

· Intel Optane SSD 905P Series M.2 22110 380GB (mounted in vertical DIMM.2 slot?)

· Corsair HX1200i (oversized to run in fanless mode most of the time)

· EK CPU block

· Remote Koolance EXC-800 chiller

I am upgrading my Solidworks workstation and would like feedback if there are any places to improve performance. Solidworks tends to like high clock speed and fast storage, with seems to be optimized for intel CPUs at this time.

This machine is dedicated to CAD work only; all simulations are done on a separate thread ripper workstation.

This is in my home office, and noise reduction is a big priority. Does anyone make a water block for the Radeon Pro card? I was unable to find any specific blocks, might try out a universal block if needed.

· Radeon Pro WX 8200

· ASUS Intel ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE Z390

· G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200

· Intel Optane SSD 905P Series M.2 22110 380GB (mounted in vertical DIMM.2 slot?)

· Corsair HX1200i (oversized to run in fanless mode most of the time)

· EK CPU block

· Remote Koolance EXC-800 chiller

Looks fine. Not sure what you want in terms of advice. I can tell you however that the Optane you've selected goes into an M.2 slot. And also, I wouldn't use it, and instead would recommend buying an NVME drive. A Samsung 970 EVO 500GB can be had for $140 or less. Optane at this time is only good at speeding up mechanical drives. If you're running SSD's, then they're basically pointless.

Generally I'd stay away from Asus in terms of Z390 because of generally poorer VRM phases. However the Maximus XI Gene is the best mATX option.
For more on that, watch this:

I'm not sure there are any WC solutions for your card either. There are some AIO's for reference Vega 56 and 64 cards, but I'm not sure without Googling if the boards are the same between those and the WX series.

Last edited:
Back