9900k too hot

beheo2019

Bad Trader
My 9900k at 5ghz 1.31v hit 90 or more in real bench. In multiplay bf5, its between 65-75. I have corsair h150i pro. The temp so high and pc crashes so I turn down to 4.9ghz at 1.27v and temp is at 80. What can I do to lower temp? The vcore doesnt seem high but dont know what wrong.

Is the h150i block secured firmly with no wiggle room? Sometimes even the slightest wiggle means there is air insulating the space between your IHS and pump block.

Are your fans ramping up as temps do? If they arent running at full speed with cpu temps that high you may need to adjust your curve. What kind of case flow are you running? Thats all ive got :(

Not sure but they so quite. I have 2 140mm front intake, the h150i on top as exhaust and 1 140mm rear exhaust

I dont know Im using corsair link and under configure tab, I chose performance. Should I set up the h150i as intake so cool air will be blown into the rad? But that set up will leave only 1 fan at the rear as exhaust

The problem with those Corsair AIO and if you're using the software, the damn pump runs at the lowest speed and somehow it's like you have to set it to run at the highest speed, which is like 3K rpm and it's not enough I think. And copper base block isn't that great for keeping these multi-core CPU cool enough IMO, regardless of the paste in use.
I have a be quiet Dark Rock PRO 4 (has nickel-plated base, not the ultra polished kind) and that thing keeps my i7 7700K 10 degrees cooler than the 280MM AIO I had.

For my i9 9900K I have the Corsair Hydro X, keeps the 5.0GHz at 74c under full load, then again, the price of the loop is 1.5x more than the AIO.

What motherboard do you have? I have an ASUS MAXIMUS XI.

Copper is 6x better at heat transfer than Nickle. It’s not the metal that’s the issue.

I dont know Im using corsair link and under configure tab, I chose performance. Should I set up the h150i as intake so cool air will be blown into the rad? But that set up will leave only 1 fan at the rear as exhaust

I use the AIO as an intake. In my experience the air is still cool enough that everything else runs fine.

Try running a stress test and check your fan and pump speeds while its running. You may have to set them up manually to run at 100% when your cpu temps hit like 70 or 80c. I cant remember how to configure them using corsairs software. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will help.

If you set it for performance it should be around 3k rpm for the pump verify that first.
Second the 9900k is just a hot mofo'ing chip, third, are you using a 0 AVX or what are you using for offset?
I'm stable 5.0 w/2 avx and 1.26v with a H110i 280mm aio, it rarely hits 70c gaming and normal usage, but it gets uncomfortably hot on stress testing 80-85c so ask yourself will you really be taxing the CPU that much that temps are a concern?

I had/have the same issue, though I can get a bit better voltages so I may have gotten a better silicone lottery roll (but that may be evened out by you having a better cooler).
Supposedly the 150i is about 10-15% better cooling than a 480mm.(frankly even the 150i isn't enough cooling to keep it under 80ish for a 5Ghz+ stress test on a 9900k though, a custom loop is required for that).

I personally have my fans set push/pull controlled by my motherboard.
The pull fans are the fractal design 140mm that came with my R5 case, those run silent at full speed so those are 100% all the time.
The push fans are the corsair ones that came with the 110i but they're loud as eff, so they only kick on once the CPU gets over 70c(30%), 75c (50%), then 80c (100%).
When at 100% fan on both, the CPU never got above 85c (usually hovering in the high 70/low 80 during the stress test).

The pump hit close to 3k but all 3 fans max out around 1600rpm. I thought it has max rpm around 2400? I set avx at 0 everything else at default. I just change the core ratio and the voltage. In gaming, my 9900k stays comfortable around 60-70 at 4.9ghz at 1.27v, but if it runs to intensive game or apps , it may crash the pc. Do you guys think if I change 3 fans to a higher static pressure and makes cool air throw into the rad will help the temp?

Last edited:
The pump hit close to 3k but all 3 fans max out around 1600rpm. I thought it has max rpm around 2400? I set avx at 0 everything else at default. I just change the core ratio and the voltage. In gaming, my 9900k stays comfortable around 60-70 at 4.9ghz at 1.27v, but if it runs to intensive game or apps , it may crash the pc.

your oc isn't stable. your pump and fan speeds are right, look at the corsair site. youre at the max it can handle.

your oc isn't stable. your pump and fan speeds are right, look at the corsair site. youre at the max it can handle.
This, if you're running 0 AVX you're gonna need closer to 1.3v to be stable which is going to increase heat.

I remember when I was testing mine i pushed it up to 5.1 w/ 0 avx and it took close to 1.33v to not freeze up and ran like a volcano, I don't remember 100% at 5.0, but it was likely around 1.29-1.3 ~ and I consider the one I got to be a fairly lucky pull.

higher speed fans might help cool it and youre going to need to up voltage if you really want 5.0 for bragging rights.

edit: maybe add more fans for push/pull.

Your options is to drop the OC down some, or the fan stuff as noted above.
One other option would be to delid and add a copper IHS to it (which would void the warranty), they make kits for it, but not something I would recommend doing it yourself for the first time on a $450 chip.
There are services that do it like silicon lottery as well as Cecil here on the forum does it as well for about $60 I think?
It generally sees quite a significant temp drop by doing so according to Cecil's testing (often 10c degrees or more).

Beyond that you'd need to build a custom loop if you want to OC further without decreasing the life of the chip by running it to hot for extended periods.

No another mb wont help decrease temps.
What fans do you have in the front of your case? You may be able to get your temps down by running higher cfm fans in front.
Check the hoses on your aio. if one is really hot to the touch you may have a plugged up tube. One more thing, is your pump connected to the pump header on your mb? If not hook it up to the pump header and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes running the pump off of a fan header causes issues.

You need to either improve heat transfer (delid and perhaps copper lid), improve airflow (higher airflow fans or another fan on the radiator (will be louder)) or get a better cooler (ie with a larger radiator and a better waterblock).
There is no magic cookie.

The amount of power delivered to the chip creates the heat.
What changes the amount of power for a given chip is voltage and clock speed only.
You will not back down on those so you must improve the cooling.

Last edited:
Just switch the fan to suck cool air from outside to the rad and my 9900k stays under 80c in realbench at 4.9ghz. Its still above 85 a few cores at 5ghz. Which fan should I upgrade to ? I think the noctua industrial 2000rpm or the nf f12. I also bought the noctua nh d15 to test it out.

eeeeehhhhh. WRONG!

Over time, bare copper on a CPU block, such as the AIO's can become tarnished, oxidated, losing its cooling performance, not to mention "cheap" paste and the evaporation of the internal fluid. Reason why copper when NICKEL-PLATED (I am positive you lack reading and comprehension skills) is far superior to just bare copper. I'm also positive you're not familiar with the NH-D15 materials and why it outperforms AIO, being that no AIO has a nickel-plated CPU block.

Using an AIO as an "intake"? Bravo!! Very smart to draw in HOT air generated from the RAD into the case and its components.

If you look at custom loop blocks there’s +/- 1C between materials and a thin layer of nickle isn’t going to some magical difference you are making it out to be. Your whole comparison is flawed to begin with, comparing completely different coolers and your take away is that it’s the nickel. What a joke.

Why wouldn’t you use it as an intake if nothing else comes close to throttling and rids you of CPU throttling? Your mobo VRMs don’t care if it’s 25C or 35C ambient air. That’s been my experience anyways.

eeeeehhhhh. WRONG!

Over time, bare copper on a CPU block, such as the AIO's can become tarnished, oxidated, losing its cooling performance, not to mention "cheap" paste and the evaporation of the internal fluid. Reason why copper when NICKEL-PLATED (I am positive you lack reading and comprehension skills) is far superior to just bare copper. I'm also positive you're not familiar with the NH-D15 materials and why it outperforms AIO, being that no AIO has a nickel-plated CPU block.

Using an AIO as an "intake"? Bravo!! Very smart to draw in HOT air generated from the RAD into the case and its components.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone, but you come off as super salty dude.

I agree with Dayaks, unless you're going for some insane bench (where you probably would even be using a case), for consumer/enthusiast level the CPU is really the only thing needing fresh air cooling.
The mild temp increase from the radiator output is going to have little effect on any of the internal components including the GPU which can take much higher temps (unless you're running super GPU intensive or your GPU just runs hot normally).
There have been quite a few folks that tested and its a negligible difference overall for most users ~ one of the examples: Here

A good well sealed AIO will often last for half a decade or more, while yes the noctua is a solid option and can perform on par or sometimes better in some areas, the AIO also does wonders for aesthetics on top of noise.
As for the copper aspect, thats why many of the AIO either A) have a coating to help protect them B) come with paste preinstalled with no airgap (my corsair one came with a small tube of MX2) C) a decent paste covers and protects the block area in contact with the cpu from oxidation when properly installed.
Regardless oxidation doesn't happen over night, and when its mounted it takes years to really affect it if at all, often the oxidation is just cosmetic, take a look at the custom loop waterblock internals oxidation testings.

Last edited:
Set an AVX offset, AVX increases heat so much more over non-AVX workloads, use 2 or 3 and see how the temps are.

So Im running 4.9ghz at 1.27v now. 5ghz needs 1.315v and the temp is so high in realbench. If I set offset at 1 and 5ghz, do I still need 1.315vcore or 1.27 ?

Last edited:
So Im running 4.9ghz at 1.27v now. 5ghz needs 1.315v and the temp is so high in realbench. If I set offset at 1 and 5ghz, do I still need 1.315vcore or 1.27 ?
Test it and find what voltage makes it stable, nobody can tell you what will work for your setup.
If voltage is still too high, increase the offset.

Dont know why the clock doesnt back down when I chose avx offset 2. It stays at 5ghz.

Because thats how avx works, its at 5.0 until it hits a long period load then it clocks it down by the avx amount (avx of 2=4.8ghz) when a heavy compute is processing to save heat and power.

I think I should stay at 4.9ghz. 5ghz produces too much heat, but I wonder the difference is big in games?

I think I should stay at 4.9ghz. 5ghz produces too much heat, but I wonder the difference is big in games?
Think about it in mathematical/logical terms.
A problem can only occur when CPU limited.
The % difference in speed is 1/50th or 2%, so that will be the maximum drop in minimum framerate.

Adjust fan curve manually, run pump at 100%
I cooled a clocked 7820x fine with an h115i as intake.

Dont know why the clock doesnt back down when I chose avx offset 2. It stays at 5ghz.

Seems there's a lack of understanding of the avx offset. The offset allows the cpu to downclock to whatever minus offset you set when it runs AVX instructions. Thus in everything else it will run at your set cpu clock.

The other thing mentioned is delidding. With these Intel chips and high overclocks delidding is almost vital. I don't know about the 9900K specifically, but on both my old 6700K and 7820x delidding dropped max temps around 20c. And that is will a full loop and a lot of radiators thrown at it.

The other thing mentioned is delidding. With these Intel chips and high overclocks delidding is almost vital. I don't know about the 9900K specifically, but on both my old 6700K and 7820x delidding dropped max temps around 20c. And that is will a full loop and a lot of radiators thrown at it.
Aren't the 9th gen chips soldered?

Yes but the temp required is not so hot that it cannot be undone.
There are people who will do it for a cost, one is a member here.
Soz, cant remember who.
Cecil does, its not true solder but a mix variation, it’s soft enough to force off without damaging the chip.

Back