9900k @5ghz - 98c

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
9900k @ 5GHz with AVX 0 offset, default Vcore on an EVGA Dark MB, custom loop. Windows 10 Firefox etc it hovers around 30c, Red Dead 2 about 37-40c, but Cinebench it shot up to 98c. Normal temps? Pump is maybe running at 75% during CB r20.

Need to push everything to the max fans, pumps, etc, those mofos run super hot.
Mine is at 5.0 with a 2AVX and it gets to 85c with CB20 with a GTX 110i 280mm AIO and I consider myself to have gotten a good chip.
That said it also doesn't get above about 65c for daily use even for hard hitting games and encoding so I'm fine where its at personally.

What kind of custom loop? rad size? pump type/speed etc?
If you really need it cooler during that kind of workload deliding and putting a copper top on it has shown significant temp drops 8-10c+.
Cecil can attest to the improvements and offers the delidding service for about $60 (or at least he did previously)

EK Copper Block, EK X-Res 140 Res/Pump, EK 360PE Rad.... typing this now it's at 29c, just got done playing some Doom Eternal and it was around 35c, it's pretty much only CB R20 that pushed the temps to 98c, haven't really thrown any more stress testing apps at this system. Just wasn't expecting 98c on a custom loop though...

Mine with EK hardware also hits high 90s in davinci resolve etc when exporting an mp4. It's just the poor heat transfer from the heatspreader w/the 9900k. My 2080 Ti on the same loop never goes above 50C at 2100 MHz to give you an example.

Yep 360mm is just barely enough (in terms of cooling area its only about 10% more than my 280mm), like I said the 9900k is a heat monster.
You might try cranking up the fans and/or adding push/pull config to help the rad but it wont be siginificant.

I had mine at a 0 AVX and it got to about 95c stressed (75-80c in high general load), was way too hot for my liking so I bumped it down.

When you aren't using an AVX offset and running Prime95 or Cinebench R20, that's par for the course on an overclocked 9900K @ 5.0GHz all core. Some chips do a bit better, but this isn't uncommon. Mine's only slightly better than that. You can play with the voltage a bit and see if you can drop a few degrees, but the 9900K gets extremely hot when pushed to 5.0GHz or higher, even on custom water cooling.

I hadn't tried the 9900K on my current cooling configuration, but these 14nm Intel chips are no joke when it comes to heat. Or they are a joke depending on how you look at it. But, using a 360 radiator and a few different water blocks I've seen temps anywhere from the low 90's to the high 90's when I wasn't using an AVX offset. If you do use an AVX offset of -2, then your temps will drop considerably.

When you aren't using an AVX offset and running Prime95 or Cinebench R20, that's par for the course on an overclocked 9900K @ 5.0GHz all core. Some chips do a bit better, but this isn't uncommon. Mine's only slightly better than that. You can play with the voltage a bit and see if you can drop a few degrees, but the 9900K gets extremely hot when pushed to 5.0GHz or higher, even on custom water cooling.

I hadn't tried the 9900K on my current cooling configuration, but these 14nm Intel chips are no joke when it comes to heat. Or they are a joke depending on how you look at it. But, using a 360 radiator and a few different water blocks I've seen temps anywhere from the low 90's to the high 90's when I wasn't using an AVX offset. If you do use an AVX offset of -2, then your temps will drop considerably.

yeah i went straight for 5GHz, 0 offset, and default Vcore, just didnt expect these temps. I knew the 9900K is a heat monster, but damn even on wc its still punishing. Mind you thats only in r20...gaming it stays around 35c max, although when steam was unpacking the Doom Eternal files while installing temps reached 65c. I havent tried a lower AVX offset, not really bother to either, my goal was 5ghz with 0 offset, and anyways its primarily for gaming so its not as if I need to worry about it running at 98c much, if any of the time.

yeah i went straight for 5GHz, 0 offset, and default Vcore, just didnt expect these temps. I knew the 9900K is a heat monster, but damn even on wc its still punishing. Mind you thats only in r20...gaming it stays around 35c max, although when steam was unpacking the Doom Eternal files while installing temps reached 65c. I havent tried a lower AVX offset, not really bother to either, my goal was 5ghz with 0 offset, and anyways its primarily for gaming so its not as if I need to worry about it running at 98c much, if any of the time.

The issue is that these smaller CPU's just don't have enough surface area at the die or the heatspreader to conduct the heat away. That's why you run into two things: 1.) Water cooling loops are marginal over good AIO's. 2.) Why you end up with heat soak. To expand on the latter, when you push AVX workloads over the course of several minutes, you end up overwhelming the cooling system and create throttling conditions. You probably won't be able to run a Prime95 workload with AVX and no AVX offset for days on end without overwhelming most cooling solutions. I've used some pretty good blocks and I've never been able to do so. Direct die cooling does work to help out here but its obviously not without risks.

If you really want better as Dan mentioned direct die is one option, or if you want a less customized cooling delidding with the copper top/liquid mental helps significantly too and you can use standard coolers/blocks still.

Don't use default vcore, set it to 1.3-1.325 (depends on how vdroop works on that board, but you want somewhere around 1.3v under AVX load.

The biggest problem with all of these 9th gen CPUs is the variance in adhesive Intel uses at the factory to attach the IHS. It puts too much gap from the die to heatspreader. That's why some can lower temps as little as 6C with a delid and others can be around 30C for the really bad ones. On average it's around 10-15C under overclocked AVX load.

Don't use default vcore, set it to 1.3-1.325 (depends on how vdroop works on that board, but you want somewhere around 1.3v under AVX load.

Indeed. My 9900K likes 1.325v.

The biggest problem with all of these 9th gen CPUs is the variance in adhesive Intel uses at the factory to attach the IHS. It puts too much gap from the die to heatspreader. That's why some can lower temps as little as 6C with a delid and others can be around 30C for the really bad ones. On average it's around 10-15C under overclocked AVX load.

Indeed. I've always been able to get every 9900K I've run into up to at least 5.0GHz. However, temperatures are all over the place even with the same cooling methods. Some CPU's run just cool enough to leave a 0 AVX offset while most need -2 in order to behave under AVX workloads.

Some games will use AVX instructions so keep an eye on temps when playing. I was recently playing with my OC. I started with 5ghz 2 avx offset and found rocket league was running at 4.8ghz. I havent found a comprehensive list so I cant say how common it is.

Some games will use AVX instructions so keep an eye on temps when playing. I was recently playing with my OC. I started with 5ghz 2 avx offset and found rocket league was running at 4.8ghz. I havent found a comprehensive list so I cant say how common it is.

Good point.

Good point.
tealc-indeed.gif

Is this a K or a KS?
If it's a KS in a Dark, there was a BIOS bug where the LLC was being pushed to a stupidly aggressive level on default, which caused very high load voltages (1.4v) on auto vcore. A BIOS update addressed this.
If you don't have it, set vcore normally to 1.30v fixed and Loadline to -50% reduced vdroop and try that.

I'd like to see optional water cooled heat spreaders on the dies of our cpus from the manufacturers. That we'll probably never see unless proof of concept could be presented by someone industrious enough to convince them it would sell more units.

I'd like to see optional water cooled heat spreaders on the dies of our cpus from the manufacturers. That we'll probably never see unless proof of concept could be presented by someone industrious enough to convince them it would sell more units.
...water cooled heat spreaders? as in the IHS/direct die waterblock? or what are you referring.

I just want an enthusiast cpu that ships without a heatspreader attached.

I mean integrated coolant blocks instead of a metal to die contact. The process would require a couple extra finishing touches during production but it's certainly feasible. The cost could be distributed across the entire run of special order chips. Given the number of people water cooling these days it might be worth it to them.

Back