$99 Android based console on Kickstarter

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/99-ouya-wants-to-bust-down-console-gamings-walled-gardens/

saw this today and it peaked my interest. A completely open game console that already has a vast software library. I'd really like to see something like this succeed. If not for anything else than to force the other 3 down a similar path.

I don't see the first few iterations being all that great graphically, but the fact that you can upgrade is a nice touch. I figure for $99.00, you're getting what should be a good media streamer... everything else after that is a bonus.

I don't understand..so they want to make a LARGER version of a phone that is already capable of playing these games? Oh but it has a controller and can be hooked up to a tv. Well that makes it ok then.

Oh they want $1 million? That seems reasonable.

How different is this than Google TV with controller support? Don't the game designers just need to design for the current Google TV boxes and get the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of more options, that is my favorite part of Android, but I just wonder how this will be supported.

How different is this than Google TV with controller support? Don't the game designers just need to design for the current Google TV boxes and get the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of more options, that is my favorite part of Android, but I just wonder how this will be supported.

I'm all for options, but when it's a phone's power connected to a TV, it just makes me question it's uses. I'll probably get flamed for my opinion either way, but I'm just being realistic. I've already had many tablets and consoles, but they all do the same thing as the machine before them, not sure how this is any different.

I can actually see this working, there are ALOT of casual gamers out there and this system doesnt just allow basic players, but it makes it so you can do anything with the system, allowing full upgrade options and a fully hackable enviornment, oh and not to mention the SDK. This isnt a bad idea, AT ALL! $100 for a simple box that could have alot of options, I like it.

Wont take long for someone to make a cable to run to a blu-ray drive (SATA) and make it work with that too, I can see options.

I can actually see this working, there are ALOT of casual gamers out there and this system doesnt just allow basic players, but it makes it so you can do anything with the system, allowing full upgrade options and a fully hackable enviornment, oh and not to mention the SDK. This isnt a bad idea, AT ALL! $100 for a simple box that could have alot of options, I like it.

Wont take long for someone to make a cable to run to a blu-ray drive (SATA) and make it work with that too, I can see options.

I see all the possibilities, but idk, it may be a niche thing, not for everyone.

Does Android have any kind of social gaming network setup like GameCenter on iOS? (besides 3rd party)

I'm sure the hardware is a bit beefier, not to mention a custom OS/UI designed to be used with a gamepad (and the controller itself). They also mention a custom store designed specifically for games and applications designed for these boxes.

If it's enough to attract AAA and Indie Developers, this could be a huge success. It might not be running COD/BF/etc... but it should be more than capible of running games like Braid, Fez, Super Meat Boy, etc

Since it's an open platform, throw XBMC on it and keep it in the living room for Video/Music streaming and light gaming.

I think at this price point, it's really trying to compete with OnLive's gaming console: http://www.onlive.com/game-system/ more than anything else. It'll be a while before it's on equal footing with a dedicated console like the 360 (complete with Kinect accessory) or PS3.

And it's a decent idea, if this is a consistent platform. Android development is a little annoying because of all the different controls that can be present or absent on any Android device: keyboard, trackball, mouse, multi/single-finger gestures, and dedicated controllers.

And you can just port the types of games from XBLA or Wiiware or PlayStation Store. Even less of porting hassles if the person used a cross-platform framework like MonoTouch: http://xamarin.com/monotouch/ which is being used for quite a few games.

This is probably one of the fastest funded Kickstarter at launch I can recall. They raised 250k already :eek:

I don't understand. Isn't it extremely risky? A completely new console that we have no idea how many dev will actually be making games for it.

I guess $99 isn't much to lose to some, but for me its not a bet I'm willing to make.

It will definitely breed a nice community.
I'm not sure if it will be a commercial success outside of this KS effort.

This has to be the craziest Kickstarter I've ever seen I saw it earlier today when it was 296K now it's 606K!!!! I was gonna wait until I get home but the $99 option might be sold out by then.

Too bad all your gonna be to play on that thing is angry birds hd and some blurry onlive games if they even port the app lol

Too bad all your gonna be to play on that thing is angry birds hd and some blurry onlive games if they even port the app lol

Interesting comment. I believe being Android based it opens up new avenues to developers. Android games are getting better in quality and scope all the time. I'm not saying that you're getting BF3 or the next Uncharted but access to the very live and thriving Android community and the fact that they are basically saying that the console is completely hackable it seems like a box like this could have many uses other then games.

Well android "phone" gaming aside...I believe the price point is great for a little hack box that could end up not only being a great streamer of stuff but would be a cool little emulator box.

Since it hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far as I can see I think a lot of people are ignorant of one of the main problems for Developers.

On top of all of the fees involved in putting a game on PSN or XBLA developers are on pay by the Mb? I think, plans.

The average cost of a 1MB patch on Xbla is $50,000 which is an incredible amount of money for a small/young developer. There's other fees on top of that.

I read an article/interview with a developer who moved to Steam/Desura because he literally couldn't afford to patch his games or add Free DLC. You may think that 50k is not a lot but were not talking activision were talking Hidden path and Introversion Software.

Gabe newell recently announced thered be no Crossplay for PS3/Xbox360/PC because Valve is known for constantly patching games especially after launch, but to keep patches up to date between the 3 systems would cost valve enormous amounts of money.

I'm telling you developers will flock to this. Thats why they're almost at their goal. I'm thinking about reserving one the console options that are still left.

Edit: Looking at the numbers again they are almost at goal with 29 days left. I'm almost positive the majority of the money is coming from developers.

Last edited:
That goal will be reached by today! And you know what they have a user base that has literally invested in the success of the team and the product. Doesn't guarantee success but it's a heck of a way to start.

That goal will be reached by today! And you know what they have a user base that has literally invested in the success of the team and the product. Doesn't guarantee success but it's a heck of a way to start.

They pretty much reached their goal, now it's a matter of stretching out some goals.

Eh, it's going to be blurry shit. Don't see a point in this thing. They aren't going to be able to get many if any devs making games for it exclusively, so you're going to end up with a bunch of upscaled smartphone games. Plus the current generation of phones (HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3) can make a very low latency connection to the TV via MHDL and can use Wii or PS3 controllers with relative ease... meaning I'm already carrying around the equivalent of this thing in my pocket. No thanks.

They pretty much reached their goal, now it's a matter of stretching out some goals.

its good they're taking small steps with this, it'll be good to see this wee beastie gradually get more powerful
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

In for 1. If nothing else, I can use it as a media streaming device; a Tegra3 is plenty to handle 1080p h264. Especially if there's wired ethernet... goodbye, apple TV.

I think you guys are missing the enormous potential of this console. The fact that it raised 1.2million dollars in less then 12 hours is saying something. People really want this. I want this, Im in for one with 2 controllers.

I just hope split screen is going to play a big part in this.

I think you guys are missing the enormous potential of this console. The fact that it raised 1.2million dollars in less then 12 hours is saying something. People really want this. I want this, Im in for one with 2 controllers.

I just hope split screen is going to play a big part in this.

Enormous potential for playing emulated games and copied games, that is for sure.

I backed it. Will be interesting to see what happens. I'm curious what they're going to have available when it starts shipping.

I'm backing them, specifically because they claim to want to be "open". Later today I'm going to ask them a few questions such as if it will be built with upgrades in mind (I don't want to see anything soldered on. Think of how cheap and easy it will be to add more RAM, new 802.11ac cards etc... even whole new CPU/GPU/Motherboards eventually...IF they are truly committed to being open), if rooting/developing will lock you out from "normal" play, can you sideload games/mods etc...

The only thing I don't understand is why Tegra3. Nvidia is not a paradigm of "openness" - we only need to see Optimus and PhysX for proof. AMD has done much more them as of late. I'm going to ask if they can build it on the AMD socketed APU kit instead - the hardware is superior, the whole kit is more "open", and overall its better to be running x86 for an "open' console than some ARM crap more at home in a phone. Before anyone asks, Android 4.0+ is easily x86 compatible.

I just don't get why anyone would want this. Mobile games are horrible compared to console/PC games! No depth, very very shallow on all levels. Mobile games have a long way to go before I want to see them on my TV. I'll stick with my X360 and PC for my gaming needs.

Funny thing is that they say "Minecraft will be on it!" . . . Have you played the Pocket Edition? It sucks! It's many versions behind the PC version and the maps are ridiculously small.

I still just don't get it . . .

I just don't get why anyone would want this. Mobile games are horrible compared to console/PC games! No depth, very very shallow on all levels. Mobile games have a long way to go before I want to see them on my TV. I'll stick with my X360 and PC for my gaming needs.

Funny thing is that they say "Minecraft will be on it!" . . . Have you played the Pocket Edition? It sucks! It's many versions behind the PC version and the maps are ridiculously small.

I still just don't get it . . .

I think a lot of people are looking at it as a "modders box", or something to that extent. It's something that can go into your living room and you can modify it to your hearts content. Plus you can also use the SDK to make your own shit. As far as something to use to play games on, I'll pass, there's better things to do to pass time, IMO anyway. I still may pick one up with a buddy down the road to mess with it, but it's at the VERY bottom of my list.

I think a lot of people are looking at it as a "modders box", or something to that extent. It's something that can go into your living room and you can modify it to your hearts content. Plus you can also use the SDK to make your own shit. As far as something to use to play games on, I'll pass, there's better things to do to pass time, IMO anyway. I still may pick one up with a buddy down the road to mess with it, but it's at the VERY bottom of my list.

I guess that's understandable.

Since it hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far as I can see I think a lot of people are ignorant of one of the main problems for Developers.

On top of all of the fees involved in putting a game on PSN or XBLA developers are on pay by the Mb? I think, plans.

The average cost of a 1MB patch on Xbla is $50,000 which is an incredible amount of money for a small/young developer. There's other fees on top of that.

I read an article/interview with a developer who moved to Steam/Desura because he literally couldn't afford to patch his games or add Free DLC. You may think that 50k is not a lot but were not talking activision were talking Hidden path and Introversion Software.

You raise a very good point. If the medium sized to small indie devs are willing to come over to this new kind of console platform, I think it will be great for gamers. The rise of an open source gaming console ;)

The gaming dev's support is the only thing I am skeptical about. But if these people could raise 5-10 million, I think they might just attract enough attention to start getting the dev support any gaming platform needs.

Hell I'm sure the final figure is going to bother Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, if the current 2 million dollars figure hasn't already caught their attention. :eek:

Huh so I don't know if anyones looking at the numbers but they've already reserved 60,000 units. They keep raising the the limit on them. That's not a pre-order thats paid.

60,000 is not bad at all for any console. Thats actually a better week than some consoles have had in recent memory.

I'm backing them, specifically because they claim to want to be "open". Later today I'm going to ask them a few questions such as if it will be built with upgrades in mind (I don't want to see anything soldered on. Think of how cheap and easy it will be to add more RAM, new 802.11ac cards etc... even whole new CPU/GPU/Motherboards eventually...IF they are truly committed to being open),
Adding connectors is not the same as "open". Integrating everything onto one circuit board makes it cheaper to produce.
if rooting/developing will lock you out from "normal" play, can you sideload games/mods etc...
Even "open" systems want to prevent cheaters.
The only thing I don't understand is why Tegra3. Nvidia is not a paradigm of "openness" - we only need to see Optimus and PhysX for proof. AMD has done much more them as of late. I'm going to ask if they can build it on the AMD socketed APU kit instead - the hardware is superior, the whole kit is more "open", and overall its better to be running x86 for an "open' console than some ARM crap more at home in a phone. Before anyone asks, Android 4.0+ is easily x86 compatible.
What about power consumption? I think the AMD APUs are in the 10W range; Tegra 3 is more like 2W. Not to mention price:
http://www.tegra3.org/tegra-3-set-for-fast-start-as-nvidia-announces-high-profits-for-q3/ said:
Nvidia didn’t disclose its entire pricing policy, but they did suggest Tegra 3 ranges from $15 to $25
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012042701_AMD_cuts_prices_on_A-Series_APUs_and_FX_CPUs.html said:
$55 minimum for AMD APU
So, in short, I think you should build your own console. It sounds great: I really like "open" hardware, AMD's APUs are nice chips, but it's a different market.

Hell I'm sure the final figure is going to bother Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, if the current 2 million dollars figure hasn't already caught their attention. :eek:

Doubt it.
Almost everyone I know that is getting one have no intentions on using it for the Ouya gaming marketplace, opting instead to use it as a Streaming/Emulation box.

Doubt it.
Almost everyone I know that is getting one have no intentions on using it for the Ouya gaming marketplace, opting instead to use it as a Streaming/Emulation box.

will this work? the streaming?

will this work? the streaming?

Apparently, yes. I hear OnLive is actually doing pretty good now, for streaming the games to people.

I almost want Valve to buy OnLive, then merge game ownership. I'd probably buy it.

so 25,000 people are buying this thing so they can write code for it and build mods and accessories? I can't say I really understand the appeal quite yet...maybe once it actually comes out and we see what people can do with it?

The problem that this hardware solves is that it's hard to get indie games onto a console with a controller? Like the 360 or PS3? So if Xbox Live somehow opened up their market to smaller dev's it would solve this problem just as well? Or a Steam box...? Someone mentioned emulation...what systems can this thing handle? PS2 and lesser?

The problem that it solves (IMO) is that it gives consumers an option to have a dedicated gaming platform that's not locked down & on a consumer wide level (not just tech geeks like us with PC and HTPC's). No jailbreaks or mod-chips required (and possibly getting banned) because you want to load an emulator or XBMC onto it. It also has the potential to keep the hardware advancing faster than you'd see traditional consoles from Nintendo, Sony and MS since the hardware release cycle will probably be much shorter.

For developers its got to be even more attractive. Many that already have decent titles avalible on Android and iOS (Rockstar, EA, SquareEnix, etc) would only likely require a simple update to add controller support and native 1080/720 output. It also gives developers (especially indie) the benefit of having a cheap platform to build for. Traditional consoles command rediculous license fees and such that prohibited most from the console market.

We probably wont see any crazy AAA games on it right away (call of duty, battlefield, etc, etc) but I can see this as a decent 'Xbox live arcade" type of machine upon release.

Sweet lord $3,480,264 of only the required was $950,000 GOAL is already pledged. This will be one to watch. Very interesting.

Apparently, yes. I hear OnLive is actually doing pretty good now, for streaming the games to people.

I almost want Valve to buy OnLive, then merge game ownership. I'd probably buy it.

Except Onlive is doomed unless ISP's chill on the caps. Which won't happen because content providers are insane and think we should all pay a hundred bucks to watch a 5 minute trailer since we're all retarded monkeys with pockets full of disposable cash.

Back