980X

ar09

Gawd
what do you guys think about the 980x, good buy? anything better coming soon?
i just got this crazy idea, i never ever bought an extreme class processor before!

I love mine. Not really any faster than my 920 OC'd to 4GHz but some stuff is definately a little smoother.

If you do a lot of video encoding or plan to run some high-end multi-GPU setups this is the CPU for you. I've one other EE CPU, a QX9650. That was pretty much as waste as all it had to offer if was an unlocked multiplier, at least the 980x has 50% more cores and a bigger cache.

If you have the money and are looking at for the purposes I listed above go for it. It's a great CPU. And the only thing that might be coming out that year is a non-EE version hexa-core to match AMD's Thurban offering at a lower price point than the 980x, but that would be about it. the 980x will be king the rest of the year.

If you want to save money, get a i7 920 or 930, and overclock it to 4ghz.

There really isnt 1 game I can not push at this clock speed. The 980x is just the new 6core dog in town, and it overclocks more then an 920/930.

But yea can't go wrong with the 980x :)

i dont oc. is that bad?

The thing is that this chip pretty much is ALL about overclocking, all the i5/i7s are about overclocking. Even with the stock cooler for the 980x you'll hit 4GHz+ with just a simple voltage boost and multiplier and/or BCLK increase. Should literally take you five minutes.

Never was a big overclocker myself until the Core chips came out, they are just drop dead easy to overclock and rock solid to boot.

The only thing on the horizon is the 3.2Ghz Core i7 970 (locked-multi) hex-core with a rumored MSRP of ~$800.

thanks to each one, seriously. :)
do you guys think it's better for me to buy a better more powerful cooler?:)
i am glad to had have ask you guys, $1100 is a lot of money...;)

Not really, the stock cooler for the 980x is pretty good and should get you past 4GHz though I do hear its a bit loud in performance mode, it's VERY different from previous Intel crap coolers:

i7-980x%20Stock%20Cooler-01.jpg

Nice they could finally throw in a decent cooler for a $1k CPU.

I guess finally Intel decided that for 1k the least they could do is give you a nice cooler.

I'm actually impressed with that cooler Intel bundled with that CPU....

However, because the next socket coming is not that far away, i wouldn't drop 1k on this CPU unless you're going to be doing things that will use all 6 cores like encoding etc.

However, because the next socket coming is not that far away, i wouldn't drop 1k on this CPU unless you're going to be doing things that will use all 6 cores like encoding etc.

I wouldn't be hasty and say that the new socket is close. Intel has been pushing the projected date further and further back. They just don't make an announcement of it.

That's about a 1 year away with Sandy Birdge, hardly imminent. One can always play the game.

Back