9800XT Suddenly Crap

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
I left this for 6 hours in the 4.3's thread but no response, damn OCP'ers getting rusty in their old age.

I upgraded to the 4.3's on the 11th and now seem to be getting a few problems but don't know if it is related.

First and foremost my computer seems to be more unstable, it seems to be linked to Rivatuner (14.3). Whenever Rivatuner is running I get random crashes to the desktop which never happened before. Turning it off solves it.

I am now also getting the white spots on textures that I used to only get when I oc'd a tad too far. I'm running 440/800 but it was always fine before.

X2 is running really slowly now I used to run 1600*1200 2xAA no worries but now it can't do 1280*1024 2xAA without crawling on SETA. Bit odd.

Do you reckon it's the drivers or just a random bork. I'm not sure as it just seems like odd symptoms to have for a driver problem.

Main Components are;
P4 3.0 oc'd to 3525
IC7-Max 3
1GB Corsair Ram
Asus 9800XT @ 440/800
SB Audigy XS2 Platinum Pro
2*160GB Maxtors RAID 0
Sony DVD/R

Other shit like Z680's and my USB devices wouldn't really make a difference would they but there is a new IR device I've installed this week as well.

How should I take this forward?

Uninstall and reinstall rivatuner? Maybe when its disabled it does something funny to the clock speeds and then thats why your getting those spots.

Did you use drivercleaner when you replaced the drivers? That could also cause problems (talking from experience, accept with nvidia)

You can mail your 9800XT to me (I'll even pay for shipping) - that'll solve your problem :D

I dont see how you can blame the 9800XT when you admit rivatuner causes it. You overclock your card and you get overclocking artifacts.

Because Rivatuner didn't explain why X2 started running badly. It still ran badly whether Rivatuner was on or not.

Anyway found the problem, heat, it's activating the CPU throttle, don't know why everything is suddenly hot but the CPU is suddenly 65 celcius+ when at load and the back of my graphics card is hot. Seriously hot. I thinks that's why I get the artifacts.

All fans are on and working at normal speeds but everything is suddenly scorching. Even my powersupply. WTF.

I did replace my back fan from the coolermaster one at 25cfm to a 22cfm one. Maybe it's that. :p </kidding>

God knows.

Back