• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800XT runs DOOM3 undesireable

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
1,285
Hi All,
My Ati 9800XT runs DOOM3 at 38.8 (Fraps), but in realy game play, it normally fluctuates between 25~40 fps. I am running the game at 1024x768, no AA, and HIGH textures. (Vsyn OFF)

I even tried Humus' "DoomPerformanceTweak" file and get only 1~2 extra fps.

My system:
P4 2.4b
1GB RAM
9800XT
Cat 4.9 Beta

The strange thing is that when I lower the resolution, 800x600, it get the EXACT same fps, so as when lower the texture quality to MEDIUM.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.
 
Cannibal Corpse said:
Hi All,
My system:
P4 2.4b
1GB RAM
9800XT
Cat 4.9 Beta

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

That may be your bottle neck..
 
True, when I had a 6800 GT OC in this very system, I got higher fps: The game overall felt "faster"...Hmmm.
 
The strange thing is that when I lower the resolution, 800x600, it get the EXACT same fps, so as when lower the texture quality to MEDIUM.

That means you are CPU limited.

Your CPU is your bottle-neck.

Consider a 3.06GHz.
 
Well, according to the [H] review, a 9800 Pro paired with a similar CPU to yours gets 21-60 FPS with an average of 49.8 when run at 1024x768, MEDIUM in-game settings, no AA and no Aniso.

So, I'd say you're actually above average with your system. It's a little bit faster than a 5700 Ultra in the same system, after all - same graphics settings, and that card gets a min of 16, max or 60 and average of only 35.9. Which is about how ATI cards stack up in Doom3.
True, when I had a 6800 GT OC in this very system, I got higher fps: The game overall felt "faster"...Hmmm

Ummm....huh? The 6800GT would feel faster because it IS faster. MUCH faster. Heck, a 6800nu is faster than a 9800XT! What kind of observation is that?
 
did you exit and restart doom when changing setting, it´s because w/o restart nothing changes. but 38,8 really looks a little low, my 9700@360/350 get there something around 34 FPS.

edit:
sorry 34 was with setting Ultra. 42 is wiht high settings.
 
Cannibal Corpse said:
Hi All,
My Ati 9800XT runs DOOM3 at 38.8 (Fraps), but in realy game play, it normally fluctuates between 25~40 fps. I am running the game at 1024x768, no AA, and HIGH textures. (Vsyn OFF)

I even tried Humus' "DoomPerformanceTweak" file and get only 1~2 extra fps.

My system:
P4 2.4b
1GB RAM
9800XT
Cat 4.9 Beta

The strange thing is that when I lower the resolution, 800x600, it get the EXACT same fps, so as when lower the texture quality to MEDIUM.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Strange, I played on a friends rig...9800XT, 2600XP, 1Gb ddr 400, he had it running at 1024x768 at high detail with 2xaa and 16xaf and it never dipped below 30fps......the Cat 4.8's are oyt now, give them a twirl....
 
Tigerblade said:
Strange, I played on a friends rig...9800XT, 2600XP, 1Gb ddr 400, he had it running at 1024x768 at high detail with 2xaa and 16xaf and it never dipped below 30fps......the Cat 4.8's are oyt now, give them a twirl....

yes ... 'cause an Athlon is much faster in Games (overall ?) as an intel-system ....
 
vsyncer said:
yes ... 'cause an Athlon is much faster in Games (overall ?) as an intel-system ....

Dunno if that was a sarcastic comment.......but I'm just telling the poster thaton similar hardware, the game is very playable.
 
sorry 34 was with setting Ultra. 42 is wiht high settings.


Strange. Please note that this is a fresh install of Win XP Pro, fresh Doom3 install (reformat and everything) on a secondary Hdd. (no nVIDIA and ATi driver conflict)


Ummm....huh? The 6800GT would feel faster because it IS faster. MUCH faster. Heck, a 6800nu is faster than a 9800XT! What kind of observation is that?

I know, but I am saying that I didn't know with a super fast video card my CPU becomes the bottleneck. I thought 9800XT is also superfast.
 
Cannibal Corpse said:
True, when I had a 6800 GT OC in this very system, I got higher fps: The game overall felt "faster"...Hmmm.

Well of course a 6800 GT OC is gonna be a better performer over a 9800xt...
 
Cannibal Corpse said:
Hi All,
My Ati 9800XT runs DOOM3 at 38.8 (Fraps), but in realy game play, it normally fluctuates between 25~40 fps. I am running the game at 1024x768, no AA, and HIGH textures. (Vsyn OFF)

I even tried Humus' "DoomPerformanceTweak" file and get only 1~2 extra fps.

My system:
P4 2.4b
1GB RAM
9800XT
Cat 4.9 Beta

The strange thing is that when I lower the resolution, 800x600, it get the EXACT same fps, so as when lower the texture quality to MEDIUM.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.


overclock the card and cpu my oc'd 1.6 northwood and a 9800 pro run better than your system is...
 
I have similar system see my sig...except I have
a 3.0 ghz and using the 9800PRO one notch below
yours. After upgrading to the 4.8 drivers, vSync on
I'm getting a great 55 fps up from 45 fps under 4.7
drivers. Running HQ at 1024 x 768 no AA Timedemo
Demo 1.

I'm very pleased. I found for me that settting vSync on
stopped some screen tearing and gave me smoother
gamplay...

I think your CPU speed is the issue maybe ?
 
I was having the exact same problem with my Asus 9800XT, and I KNOW for a fact that I'm not CPU or RAM limmited :) I was getting around 32-36fps in high quality, 1280x1024 and it was 35--39fps in 1024x768. To my surprise the 9800XT doesn't really hang with the big dawgs in Doom3.

You know how I fixed it? I bought a 6800 Ultra. Now I'm running in ultra quality, 1600x1200 averaging 47 FPS. I mostly run High quality though at1600x1200 averaging 55 FPS, as the difference between high and Ultra is negligable and I'd rather have the extra FPS.
 
I think your CPU speed is the issue maybe ?

I don't know.

When I had the 6800 GT OC, I never noticed this problem. (with EXACT same CPU, MoBo and RAM, etc., just swapped the video cards)
 
Humus' performance tweak in reality does very little for performance unless you were using control-panel AF. (It sidesteps ATI's slowdowns using CP-AF in Doom3) Overall, it really does not boost performance significantly, so that aspect of your experience is normal.
 
Cannibal Corpse said:
I don't know.

When I had the 6800 GT OC, I never noticed this problem. (with EXACT same CPU, MoBo and RAM, etc., just swapped the video cards)

why did u even downgrade?
 
I play Doom3 on 1024x768 med on a Radeon 9600 PRO with really crappy PC2100 ram on an old school Gigabyte GA-7VAX (woot leaky capacitors). My video card is overclocked quite a bit and I get a steady 40-60 FPS.

-Nick
 
Tigerblade said:
Dunno if that was a sarcastic comment.......but I'm just telling the poster thaton similar hardware, the game is very playable.

no i only mean that he has an intel and you have an athlon and that this could be the reason for your better performance ....
 
with my 3.65Ghz P4 and components below, i run doom.3 at respectable framerates with 1600x1200 8xAS ULTRA settings. take that benchmarks!
 
grugar said:
did you exit and restart doom when changing setting, it´s because w/o restart nothing changes.

.


that one got me for a while. but finally figured it out.
 
hey i had that problem too aye, i have a:

mobo: Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro2
Gfx: Gigabyte Radeon 9800XT 256MB 8x AGP
Ram: Dual channel 512MB (1GB) 3200 or 3500 Kingston HyperX DDR
CPU: P4 3.02GHz 512K Hyper threading
Monitor: 17" LCD Viewsonic VA720
Fans: dude i have like a billon (Xaser III)

(there the most important things arnt they?

but my probel not only does it run like absolute sh17 but i get heaps of little white flashing dots everywhere :( what do i do :( :(

-hyperx
 
The "flashy white dots" usually happens on OC'ed hardware in Doom3...

Terra...
 
hyperx said:
hey i had that problem too aye, i have a:

mobo: Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro2
Gfx: Gigabyte Radeon 9800XT 256MB 8x AGP
Ram: Dual channel 512MB (1GB) 3200 or 3500 Kingston HyperX DDR
CPU: P4 3.02GHz 512K Hyper threading
Monitor: 17" LCD Viewsonic VA720
Fans: dude i have like a billon (Xaser III)

(there the most important things arnt they?

but my probel not only does it run like absolute sh17 but i get heaps of little white flashing dots everywhere :( what do i do :( :(

-hyperx

Turn off OverDrive. I remember seeing a 9800xt running D3 with OverDrive and it was horrendous. If you haven't got it on, I don't think u can stop it, unless u underclock ur card, and u don't wanna do that.....
 
Well, well...
So, I think I have a real problem....
After seeing all those scores, I can see that my system is probably F#$%&DUP

I have a 9500->9700 Oced to 390/300, that, always, in every game and every Benchmark, have scored near or better than a 9800 Pro card.
But in Doom 3 it is scoring 30 to 34 FPS in 1024 High or even in Medium settings.
My Specs for the whole Rig are:
P4 2.6C @ 3.26
Abit AI7 @ 250FSB
Kingston 3200 512 MB @ dual channel DDR400 2.5,3,3,3,8
120 Samngung 7200 Rpm HD
Catalyst settings:
AA OFF (by application)
AF OFF (by application)
Textures high quality
Mipmap high quality

I can see that for every system like mine here people are getting close to 50s in the 1024 High setup.
Whats my problem then?
I am using the 4.9 Betas Softmodded by w1zzard, could this be the problem?
Are the 4.8 better?
Please help. Not that i liked Doom 3, but I want to play it in the best way possible in my Rig, until HL2 arrives :)
And if it is better probably other games will be better too.
Thanks.
 
mr.fishie said:
you may be poor, but your vidcard is still better than mine :)

Ditto. :(

I almost have enough cash for my 5900XT, though. That should tide me over for a year or so until I do a complete mobo/cpu/vid overhaul.
 
Could it be the 533 FSB Northwood holding you back? Not sure if DOOM3 likes an 800mhz bus that much more or not.
 
Back
Top