• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800Pro vs. x800 Non-Pro

mdma-

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
156
I may be moving to PCIe and need a video card. My budget is ~$200

Problem: I have a 9800 Pro (AGP) and need a comparable or better card in PCIe form. The x800 seems to fit best in the price range. However, all the reviews I've seen don't compare it to my card. GPU review hints that it should be faster: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=48&card2=31

Where can I find an FPS comparison in HL2, UT2k3, D3, etc.

Solutions: It seems the x800 on sale at newegg is a great deal at ~$170. My other option may be going over budget and getting an x800 XL.
 
yes, the x800 is a way better car :) the mhz is higher, and there's 12 pipes compared to ur 9800pro's 8... but if ya getting the x800XL... definetely worth the extra money.. it will be twice as fast as your 9800pro ..the regular x800 would only be like 20-30% faster.
 
X800 via NewEgg for $164

X800XL via Monarch Computer for $249

What should I get? I'm leaning toward the X800, as it's $85 more. Most likely, I will mostly just play Quake3 and CSS. Also a tad of UT2k3, Doom 3, and HL2 -- but not for more than 1-2 hours a month combined...
 
mdma- said:
X800 via NewEgg for $164

X800XL via Monarch Computer for $249

What should I get? I'm leaning toward the X800, as it's $85 more. Most likely, I will mostly just play Quake3 and CSS. Also a tad of UT2k3, Doom 3, and HL2 -- but not for more than 1-2 hours a month combined...

Well depends, if you're not a super hardcore gamer than I think you should simply pocket the change and get the X800. It'll be a nice boost over your 9800 Pro and if you feel you dont need the power of the X800XL then I dont believe it'd be worth it to me to spend the extra cash.
 
The highest I can go with vsync enabled. Usually 1280x1024 on q3, 1024x768 on newer games
 
Go x800 at those resolutions. unless you want AA on and AF on to their max. in which case go XL.
 
why not a 6600gt? Good price and performance...and with PCIE, well you heard all the stories Im sure..:)
 
Pkirk618 said:
why not a 6600gt? Good price and performance...and with PCIE, well you heard all the stories Im sure..:)

Because its slower than an X800 and wouldnt give him a very big performance increase at all.
 
heym can u link me showing me what you're saying. Reviews, I've read show they are comperable enough to be benched against each other to begin with. Both are goof cards but I like the idea of going 6600 wich will give better performance than he's got now and later, he can add another card.
 
I can't add another because my Tyan board doesn't support SLI, not that I would need it. The x800 is on sale so I think I'll get that.
 
Pkirk618 said:
heym can u link me showing me what you're saying. Reviews, I've read show they are comperable enough to be benched against each other to begin with. Both are goof cards but I like the idea of going 6600 wich will give better performance than he's got now and later, he can add another card.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-286-1.htm

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/gigabytex800/

Both sites show a clear lead to the X800. But, they also show that the X800XL offers a huge performance gain. Gathering from these its up to you and how much you want to spend.
 
i have a 9800 pro and it runs great on almost every game ive played
however, i think u shud go for the x800xl....so much better performance..
 
Back
Top