• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800Pro upgrade opinions...

Scubastevie00

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
200
I haven't built me a computer in a bit... But after just getting my new PS for my 64 that has been down I'm contemplating upgrading my sapphire atlantis 9800 pro 128mb. I was looking at newegg and a 6800GT is like 250... I don't want to spend that much.. What do you guys think would be a good upgrade. Considering the computers sole use is gaming.
 
6800NU if you dont want to put up that 250.Im in the same position as you.
 
I'd wait and see what NVIDIA do with their new 7-series card in the next few months before upgrading.
 
I believe the NU they are refering too is the 'vanilla' 6800's with 128mb.

Most if not all the newly made ones can have the extra pipes and vertex shaders unlocked, effecitivly making it a 6800 Ultra core. Once unlocked you will see a noticable difference (a little reduntant I know huh?)

I could be wrong though.
 
I've looked on newegg... where does one obtain said 6800NU


A 6800nu is just a plain 6800..not LE, not U, not GT...it has nothing after it.



I believe the NU they are refering too is the 'vanilla' 6800's with 128mb.

"vanilla" typically stands for the LE version, which they aren't talking about here.
 
Sorry about that. I thought 'vanilla' ment plain 'ole 6800 with no letters after it.

My bad.
 
I was kinda looking for something with 256mb... But that might be a way to go... How hard is it to unlock the pipes ect...
 
Scubastevie00 said:
I was kinda looking for something with 256mb... But that might be a way to go... How hard is it to unlock the pipes ect...

Its easy as pie, in fact, just go to the Nvidia section of the Video forums and there's a sticky on how to do it. Its completely software, doesnt hurt your hardware at all, and helps performance a decent amount.

Now remember, not all of them unlock, but lately there's been really good succeus, and either way its an upgrade over your 9800 Pro.
 
I just wasn't sure what to do.. I don't know what to do with this... I could always just get the GT... Don't want to spend that kinda money but it is 256mb... I could also go with a x800 for a similar price...
 
Since it is a gaming rig, the 256mb is going to help for this year and the coming years more so than the 128mb cards.

I would check the FS/FT forum and see what you can get.

I just did a quick skim and found this:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=923948&highlight=6800gt

Cheapest for a new GT or a new x800Pro on the Egg is 250 and change.

You are taking a chance on the NU not being able to unlock to the GT speeds (though I am sure it is no problem), and you won't get the 256mb in the NU.

I am in your same boat, I have the same card you have now. I was thinking hard about upgrading to the X800, but I decided today that I am going to wait for AOE3 to come out and see what is a good midrange card then. The 9800pro still does decent in today's games.
 
A 6800NU will reach GT core speeds and likely go above (mine does Ultra speeds for the core) but you'll never get the GT's memory speeds, mine goes up to 800Mhz on the memory.

Do not get a X800 Pro, if you want the added memory and memory speed then the 6800GT is your best bet for that price point in the AGP market.
 
Back
Top