• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800PRO Upgrade needed

coffee33

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
1,088
I have a Kv8 SE Deluxe asus agp board with a 3200+ and a 9800pro along side a gig of ram. My question is...what would be a great video card upgrade for this system that would be $200.00 and lower?

I'm building a new pciE machine but my old will be used by my daughter for playing WOW, fable, BF2, and the such.

Ty in advanced!

P.S.
I only shop at newegg.com
TY
 
I dont think a 6600GT is considered an "upgrade" over a 9800pro, you may skip it and jump to a 6800GT, then youll notice an increase in performance :D

oldmx
 
A 6800GS would probably be just right. Good bang for the buck. Good upgrade boost....

and the the 7800GS carries a premium better appplied to a pci-e system you are building anyways. Practically the price of a pcie 7900GT.
 
I agree with the poster above.

The 6800GS is the best AGP option. You can get them for around $170-180 at newegg. It's a revamped version of the 6800GT and is the best choice out there for an AGP upgrade as the 7800GS is way overpriced for its crippled performance.
 
Oh sorry about that suggestion then, I just noticed that the card wasnt much more powerful than the 9800Pro. You could go with the 6800 GS of course, I forgot that was AGP :p
 
X800 GTO - 175.00

over your 9800, double the amount of memory, double the memory interface, four more pixel pipelines than your current eight, with a faster core and memory clock, and GDDR3.
 
Mister E said:
I'd grab an x850xtpe in agp form but that's just me.

I have yet to find an X850XTPE under $200 buck in AGP flavor. However, you can get X850XT PCI-E's for under $200 at Newegg, but he needs AGP.

BTW - 6600GT is more powerful than a 9800Pro, but not by leaps and bounds. I know this because I baought one for a friends computer, and I tried it out to see what she could do.

A 6800GS is a great card, but AGP a shade over $200 though.
 
Get this one, it's clocked higher by default than other AGP 6800GS's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130264

Core clock: 400MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Memory Clock: 1100MHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 1.5
PixelPipelines: 12
TV-Out: S-Video Out
VIVO: No

Model #: 256-A8-N397-TX
Item #: N82E16814130264 <----- Just copy and paste number into search box at Newegg
In Stock
$4.69 Three Day Shipping

[62 reviews]
Move To Wish List
$225.00
 
Hey by the way, sorry about linking to a PCI-E version of the 6800GS above. :rolleyes: I wasn't paying attention... I'd still probably go with eVGA, the one Agent_N linked to. It's a bit more but still my favorite choice.
 
Ty, and no problem cause I know AGP=dead but I wanted to sqeeze out a year more gaming goodness out of this puppy :) Well 6months.
 
coffee33 said:
Ty, and no problem cause I know AGP=dead but I wanted to sqeeze out a year more gaming goodness out of this puppy :) Well 6months.


You will do fine for 6 months.. I am still running AGP and im very happy with it. I have played on a similiar rig with a 7800gt on it and I wasnt THAT impressed with the step up. With a new card coming out every 5 months, im just going ot wait till it levels off and wait to see who the real champs are with PCIE...
 
What would be a better card is I had $300.00 to spend? I ask this cause I might be able to break my budget ;)
Ty all!
 
My Freind,
Please do not say AGP = DEAD
I would prefer you say AGP = Mature (Over 50% of systems out there still have AGP).
My 478 socket Northwood on the 875 chipset and AGP BFG 7800 GS OC handles everything I throw at it very, very nicely: BF2, HL2, Doom3..etc.

I assume this AGP system you are buying the video card for is going to be used by your daughter?

I think if your daughter doesn't care about playing games on maxed out settings at high screen resolutions (above 1024 x 768) then I think that 6800 GS is perfect for that Mature AGP system. That way you could save some monies towards your 7900 GTX for the PCI-Express rig. :cool: The 6800 GS OC will provide her with a great gaming experience all around for around $50.00 cheaper then the 7800 GS OC.

If you wanted to bust the budget you should get the BFG or EVGA 7800 GS OC. This a major performance boost vs your 9800 pro (I should know i went from a 9700 pro the the 7800 GS OC)..Plays games as smooth as babies butts. You could probably snag a new one on Ebay from a reliable seller for around $275..



Regards,
Dan.
 
Back
Top