9800Pro - no AGP Texture Acceleration?

Legend

n00b
I just bought a new video card (ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256-256) and decided to re-install a few games to see the difference...

When installing May Payne 2, I got a message that AGP Texture Acceleration was disabled and I would get something like a 50% increase in performance with it enabled.

I checked my dxdiag DirectX Features and...it's grayed out?

I've never owned an ATI card before, so I'd like to know...Is this fine with ATI cards or a problem? If a problem, anyone know of a fix?

Did you install the ATi drivers? Sounds like something might have been corrupt in the driver pack that didn't allow it to install correct.

I looked in the display settings (GART, etc) and did not see anywhere to enable AGP Texture Acceleration. Also, nothing in the BIOS is out-of-the-ordinary. =/

I installed my motherboard chipset drivers...I have an nforce 2 board (Chaintech Zenith 7NJS)...and the ATI drivers from the cd and then from their website.

This is a fresh install of Win XP Pro, so no residual drivers are left from my previous video card.

I guess I'll try re-installing the catalyst drivers again and make sure my antivirus is off competely, but I doubt this is my problem.

Anything else?

lol...and I was warned about using an ATI card on an nVidia board! ;X

After you installed windows, did you install the nVidia drivers from the MOBO software??? If you did, nVidia's software is screwing with your ATI video card. You will need to do a reformat, and when you install the MOBO drivers, do not install anything that says nVidia.

yep as soon as you have a little problem..instead of fixing it, just reformat and reinstall everything :rolleyes:

No, there is a little glitch i've noticed with some of the newer nvidia drivers. Sometimes the texture acceleration doesn't install right and fucks up. I installed my drivers directly over the others with a newer set. I'd advise the same. Just install them right now with the latest from nvidias site. It might not exactly be your problem, but it happened many times and I was able to reproduce this (even happened after a clean format). Reinstall them right now, restart, then check your DirectX Diagnostic program. It could fix it.

Pagan Wizard said:
After you installed windows, did you install the nVidia drivers from the MOBO software??? If you did, nVidia's software is screwing with your ATI video card. You will need to do a reformat, and when you install the MOBO drivers, do not install anything that says nVidia.
That's ignorant, there is an uninstall utility for nVidia chipset drivers in Add/Remove Programs. If you do go the reformat road install like this....
Windows
NIC drivers
Chipset drivers
Windows Updates
DirectX 9.0C
ATi drivers
Sound drivers
etc....

Major_A said:
That's ignorant, there is an uninstall utility for nVidia chipset drivers in Add/Remove Programs. If you do go the reformat road install like this....
Windows
NIC drivers
Chipset drivers
Windows Updates
DirectX 9.0C
ATi drivers
Sound drivers
etc....

I'd rather do it right, than to just sweep the dirt under the carpet. A format and clean install should take less than 2 hours. With my rig, I can have it done in less than one hour.

I'm not sure which one of these worked since I tried everything on here...AGAIN...except the complete reformat (which I still may be doing soon since I'm probably buying a new system this Friday...payday, w00t!)...but the problem is now fixed!

I'd totally throw in an offer for cyber with my girlfriend if I could figure out which one of you guys helped me out with this, but...sorry, no girlfriend and besides I don't know which idea worked. ;D

haha...thanks!

Back