9800p > 9800xt voltage

Bodega

Gawd
does flashing from a 9800pro to 9800xt bios (on the r360 core) increase the voltage to what the 9800xt requires? 1.7v to 1.8v I think

No. Voltages are controlled by voltage regulators on the card. Look around for voltage mods, they are out there. Get the soldering iron out.

i was jsut hoping there was some way to not do a vmod.. sorta hoped it was like a mobo bios that would adjust voltages

actually im pretty sure flashing the BIOS to an XT primarily is done to change the voltage.

how else would cards be able to hit core and mem speeds that it couldnt on the old bios?

volt mods are tipically done to get extreme speeds with high temps im pretty sure

No, ATI's implementation of their BIOS has absolutely zero way to impact voltage sent to the components of the card; voltages are entirely handled by the onboard regulation circutry. Unless you modify that circuitry, you have no way to modify the voltages sent to the GPU, the DRAM or any other component on that card.

What allows some BIOSes to overclock further is the timings built into the BIOS. Just like your system ram isn't stable at 2-2-2-5 at ALL speeds, such is the story on your video card ram as well. A BIOS with different timings can allow you to overclock components on your card further, sometimes with lesser performance.

I wouldn't say all BIOS'es do not allow for voltage tweaking.

All of ATi's mobile chips have dynamically variable voltages (the chip will actually decrease Mhz and voltage when idling) You can actually force the notebook to power saving mode lower voltages and clockspeeds when on batteries.

And the mobile chips are not all that different than the desktop, its just added as a feature.

Let's try this one more time:

ABSOLUTELY ZERO OF ATI'S CURRENT RADEON DESKTOP LINE IS VOLTAGE-REGULATED BY THE ONBOARD VIDEO BIOS.

Did I leave any room for interpretation in THAT sentence?

Good.

Back