9800GX2 is just too bloody loud

Wow, what a jerk! I hope you learned your lesson about building systems for ungrateful people :p
He's giving me a lot of free stuff in return so it compensates :p

I think it is because your current video card happens to be an extremely loud video card to begin with. Some video cards have more of a whooshing sound that is easier to sleep with. That is okay as you can fire up your 2nd GPU on your card and condition yourself to sleep with the extra noise.

If it was just me sleeping in the room I might consider this, but I often have friends and other people over, and sometimes have a friend sleeping in my room as well. They often comment on the hideous noise :)

He's giving me a lot of free stuff in return so it compensates :p

If it was just me sleeping in the room I might consider this, but I often have friends and other people over, and sometimes have a friend sleeping in my room as well. They often comment on the hideous noise :)

If that is the case, I second Apollo's suggestion that you activate the 2nd GPU, and just disable it as needed as circumstances come up.

I still say you run the 2nd GPU full time and just tell your sleepover buddies to deal with it :)

If that is the case, I second Apollo's suggestion that you activate the 2nd GPU, and just disable it as needed as circumstances come up.

I still say you run the 2nd GPU full time and just tell your sleepover buddies to deal with it :)

Last time a friend stayed at my place we already slept in the guest room because she thought it was too noisy. Then again she's a music student, so you know how picky they can be :p

Last time a friend stayed at my place we already slept in the guest room because she thought it was too noisy. Then again she's a music student, so you know how picky they can be :p

Okay, then your friend can stay in the guest bedroom and you can stay in your own bedroom. Or you can move your folding rig to the guest bedroom :)

I would just turn off the second client at night or whenever a quiet environment is needed. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Okay, fine :p

Turned on the second GPU core as well, temperatures somewhat stabilized at 87/83C after a few minutes. No significant increase in the noise level. Not bad :)

Turned on the second GPU core as well, temperatures somewhat stabilized at 87/83C after a few minutes. No significant increase in the noise level. Not bad :)
I really need to 'strip down' my GX2... :eek:

Okay, fine :p

I knew you could do it! We just had to nudge you a bit with this whole thing going on with that "sponsored" team.

At least the worst of the hot weather is behind us now until next year. Of couse you wouldn't know of that in Cincinnati as the local forcasters are forcasting highs 90-93 degrees F for the next couple days.

I really need to 'strip down' my GX2... :eek:
It took me about five seconds after I looked up a video tutorial :)

I knew you could do it! We just had to nudge you a bit with this whole thing going on with that "sponsored" team.

At least the worst of the hot weather is behind us now until next year. Of couse you wouldn't know of that in Cincinnati as the local forcasters are forcasting highs 90-93 degrees F for the next couple days.

It's staying just a tad under 20C around here and will only get colder :) Yay for autumn~

Back