9800gtx cooling questions

Quoll

Limp Gawd
I recently got a 9800gtx+ 512(55nm i think, green pny card) and i'm thinking of getting a t-rad for it. I was thinking of replacing the mosfet sinks w/ some of these:

http://www.koolertek.com/computer-parts/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1084

since koolertek is having issues:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=54_197&products_id=23308

Looking at this pic here how many sinks would it need? I think 18 but i'm not sure if i'm seeing all the chips.

Also wondering if anyone knows whether or not the t-rad has enough space underneath for those sinks. Or is the performance gain from swapping out the sinks too minimal to be worth doing?

Last edited:
I'm only seeing 16 MOSFETs in that pic (which happens to be a 65nm part). Does that card look exactly like yours? Some + models have a shorter board with one power connector. Others may have custom PCB's. Does yours look like this?

The height of those ENZO FETsinks is 12mm and the t-rad may not have that much space underneath. If you already have some separate sinks on the card's FET's (as in the link above) then just leave them as is. If they clip on you may consider some new TIM for better heat transfer.

Yep that is the card. I guess i'll use the present fetsink and swap if I run into problems. thanks

Depends on me finding a digital camera. Push comes to shove I might be able to borrow a cell to snap a shot.

Snapped a few pics

4733271963_1deb816aea_b.jpg

4733912372_b8087e1751_b.jpg

4733274415_2510590a2f_b.jpg

4733275657_51e62e40d3_b.jpg

i had that exact same card until tonight when i put in my 5870 = ). I used a zalman VF 1000 LED and RAM heatsinks while leaving the mosfets with its stock cooler and everything went very well. kept temps in the mid 70's during furmark benches.

Look under the heatsink/fan assembly to see if these have thermal pads. I would put a sink on them either way.
pnyhs.jpg

i had that exact same card until tonight when i put in my 5870 = ). I used a zalman VF 1000 LED and RAM heatsinks while leaving the mosfets with its stock cooler and everything went very well. kept temps in the mid 70's during furmark benches.

Nice. Kinda surprised you could fit that thing ramsinks given the size.

Look under the heatsink/fan assembly to see if these have thermal pads. I would put a sink on them either way.

Hm. Do-able if I can fit one of the flat sinks that came w/ the t-rad over them. I've had quite a few issues w/ ramsink clearance and this cooler.

Sanding wouldn't cut the narrow sinks down enough. I doubt I can afford anything that can cut them atm so i'll be leaving that part uncovered.

Back