9800GT/Ultra Thread

Jaguar Jim1

Limp Gawd
I just received my Asus EN9800GT Ultimate today, and while it's not really a 9800GT (More of a Super Tweaked 8800GTS on Steroids), it has really impressed me. As I use this Computer for the Occasional Lan Party Standby Box, I didn't need to run the best gear out there on it.
If anyone out there has a 9800GT Post your Observations and Impressions, and maybe we can help others set theirs up.

i just got a BFG 9800GT OC+
here's a gpu-z shot:http://www.majorbabu.com/upload/store/gpuz2.png

i'm not quite certain as to how to OC it past its 635mhz core. if some one can help me out with that... that'd be great

edit: also, if any one knows which cooler would be compatible with this card then please let me know. zalman doesn't list 9800GT in their compatibility charts, but i think that's because they haven't updated them in some time.

i'm not quite certain as to how to OC it past its 635mhz core. if some one can help me out with that... that'd be great

edit: also, if any one knows which cooler would be compatible with this card then please let me know. zalman doesn't list 9800GT in their compatibility charts, but i think that's because they haven't updated them in some time.

Best cooler hands down is the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. It doesn't come with a fan though, so you could look into the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo which is the same thing but with fans.

I don't like ATI's drivers, plus the card is running too hot. I am just a Nvidia person.

The Thermalright HR 03 is also another Good one. I'm using the Xygmatek VD964 Battle Axe Direct Heat Pipe on my Gigabyte HD4850 and it's Uber Cool Looking, and I'm very Impressed with the Ease of Intallation, and my Temps are 26C Idle, 44 Load, and that's with an Overclock to boot. The only Drawback to the Xigmatek is their Poor Choice of Ramsink Tape, which really sucks, thereby making another aftermarket Purchase necessary. Also the heatPipes are Freakin Huge, and so Anyone installing it would have to be Creative in Placing their Ramsinks around the HeatPipes, I had to take a Dremel and Grind the Ramsink Fins to get the Ramsinks to fit in around the heatpipes without directly touching them. Took me a couple of days playing around with them, but at least I know my Ram is Cool, and was worth the Trouble to make it Work, and after all that's what Modding is all about.

why get rid of 4850? is the asus a 55nm with improved cooling? cuz if it is, then i'm uber jealous. my bfg is 65nm with basic stock cooling.

As Far as I can Tell the Card Looks Exactly like its Sister(8800GTS), Dual Slot (Great for Cooling) 9" Card with a Single 6 Pin Power lead. I'd have to remove the Heatsink to look at the GPU to see if it's a 65nm or 55.
Anyway I'm please with my Purchase, and that's what matters.

Update: Chip Name: D8P / A2
VGA BIOS: Version 62.92.3A.00.AS07
Unified Shader: 128

As Far as I can Tell the Card Looks Exactly like its Sister(8800GTS), Dual Slot (Great for Cooling) 9" Card with a Single 6 Pin Power lead. I'd have to remove the Heatsink to look at the GPU to see if it's a 65nm or 55.
Anyway I'm please with my Purchase, and that's what matters.

dosent GPU-Z see if its a 65nm or a 55nm?

I just received my Asus EN9800GT Ultra today, and while it's not really a 9800GT (More of a Super Tweaked 8800GTS on Steroids), it has really impressed me. As I use this Computer for the Occasional Lan Party Standby Box, I didn't need to run the best gear out there on it.
If anyone out there has a 9800GT Post your Observations and Impressions, and maybe we can help others set theirs up.
its 9800gt Ultimate not Ultra ;)

I stand Corrected, it does say EN9800GT Ultimate on the Box, Clocked at 725 Core, 2000 Memory, and 1750 shader. The Asus Smart Doctor panel lists it as EN9800GT UL.

i have a question. noob at OCing here.
i'm trying to OC my BFG 9800GT OC+ from 635mhz core. i tried using ati tool, but when i try to find max core speed, it crashes at like ~420mhz. strange.
so i've decided to use riva tuner to do the OCing. i've only upped it 640mhz so far but luckily no crash has occured. ati tool would crash at any adjustment at all, so that's a good start. I'm currently on stock cooling with my fan set on max.

how exactly do i find max core with rivatuner and ati-tool together?
do i set core speed in riva tuner (in small incrementals of course) and then scan for artifacts in ati tool?
that's what i'm doing right now, so am i on the right track?
how long would i have to scan for artifacts?

i have a question. noob at OCing here.
i'm trying to OC my BFG 9800GT OC+ from 635mhz core. i tried using ati tool, but when i try to find max core speed, it crashes at like ~420mhz. strange.
so i've decided to use riva tuner to do the OCing. i've only upped it 640mhz so far but luckily no crash has occured. ati tool would crash at any adjustment at all, so that's a good start. I'm currently on stock cooling with my fan set on max.

how exactly do i find max core with rivatuner and ati-tool together?
do i set core speed in riva tuner (in small incrementals of course) and then scan for artifacts in ati tool?
that's what i'm doing right now, so am i on the right track?
how long would i have to scan for artifacts?

I've been using the Asus Utility Smart Doctor, and it seems to work Great for OC'ing. Cranked up the Sliders to see what they could do, and it hit 800Mhz without any Problems.

What is your fan speed set at? What are your idle temps, and what does it load at?

What is your fan speed set at? What are your idle temps, and what does it load at?

Fan is set to Auto, and is running very Quietly at 60%, the temps are at 46C Idle, though I haven't checked it out at Load. I'll Load Grid and Check out Load Temps in a bit and Post what I find. But so Far it's a really nice Card.

I've been using the Asus Utility Smart Doctor, and it seems to work Great for OC'ing. Cranked up the Sliders to see what they could do, and it hit 800Mhz without any Problems.

Maybe, but the 9800GT Ultimate isn't a true 9800GT; his 9800GT may not hit 800.

I haven't even started OCing my 9800GT UL yet (like others, I got mine in the last couple days, in my case, two days ago), and I'm not sure I will... unless I OC my CPU like heck, it's the weakest link in my rig, and since I don't play FPSs or MMOs (Titans Quest and NWN2 are the big video hogs at the moment, along with SC2 and D3 when they come out), I'm in the sweet spot for my rig with stock clocks, which means I can adjust for cooling/noise/power usage now.

Maybe, but the 9800GT Ultimate isn't a true 9800GT; his 9800GT may not hit 800.

I haven't even started OCing my 9800GT UL yet (like others, I got mine in the last couple days, in my case, two days ago), and I'm not sure I will... unless I OC my CPU like heck, it's the weakest link in my rig, and since I don't play FPSs or MMOs (Titans Quest and NWN2 are the big video hogs at the moment, along with SC2 and D3 when they come out), I'm in the sweet spot for my rig with stock clocks, which means I can adjust for cooling/noise/power usage now.

True the 9800GT UL isn't the same Card, but the OC'ing Capabilities should be Identical to the 8800GT, and those Cards could all hit 800Mhz Core, The Ultimate for whatever reason ASUS Chose, performs like a 9800GTX+ and it's quite a bit Cheaper, which in my Case was worth it, because I didn't need an Uber Expensive Card as it is in a P4 Core Duo
PD925 2.8 Ghz System running 2 Gigs of OCZ DDR2 667 and while it isn't the Top of the Line anything, it's a good little Computer, that should be Chugging along for a long time to come.

Back