• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

9800 Pro vs. 6600 GT

CrimsonKain

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 7, 2003
Messages
122
Not thinking of upgrading or anything like that but I'm just trying to get a feel for things. I've seen several reviews of the 6600 GT but I've never seen one compared to a 9800 Pro before. So I was wondering if anyone knows how the two cards compare or know of a link to a good review that does compare them? Doesn't have to be very specific. Ballparking is good enough.

Thanks in advance.
 
It's faster than even the 9800 XT, cept when it hits a memory limitation(128MB vs 256 for the pro) and possibly bandwidth starves.
But I don't think upgrading from a high end card to a main stream card is wise..
Upgrade to atleast a 6800 vanilla.
 
from all the reviews i've seen if your like me and already have a 9800 pro its definately nowhere near worth spending the money to get a 6600GT. However if your looking for a new card and not just upgrading from a 9800 pro or equivilent card i'd say the 6600GT its amazing.
 
liquidtrance123 said:
from all the reviews i've seen if your like me and already have a 9800 pro its definately nowhere near worth spending the money to get a 6600GT. However if your looking for a new card and not just upgrading from a 9800 pro or equivilent card i'd say the 6600GT its amazing.

I agree with this, I would only think you'd see a huge performance improvement going from a 9800PRO to a 6800GT, not worth it to upgrade to the 6600GT. However if you need one for another computer, the 6600GT is by far the better pick out of the two.
 
tranCendenZ said:
That page showed them virtually tied.. infact, besides doom3 the 6600GT is only a bit faster, thought in UT2004, it's 10fps faster at 1600x1200 4AA 8AF.
That review seems odd.. based on that review you're better off with what ya got.
Looking at a techreport review, appears to be 10fps faster than the XT in far cry.. at 1024, because both of them are too slow to run it at 1280 or 1600.
I say atleast get a 6800 vanilla like I said,, it's a good deal faster the 6600GT in doom3, tied in VST at 1024, but at 1280 the 6800 vanilla is a good 10fps ahead.
 
Back
Top