9800 Pro..Upgrade now/soon or wait?!

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hey All,

With all the new cards coming out, should I wait to upgrade or should I upgrade now??

I would be willing to spend upwards of $230 for a new video card, but I am wondering if the introduction of the newer video cards will push the prices on other cards down even lower?

Also, my 9800 pro has been getting a little hot these days since the Summer started. I am thinking about getting an Arctic Cooler for the thing, but I don't want to put one on and end up getting a new video card the next month.

So what do you all think?

-fro

What do you play? What settings do you want to play said games at?

When did you get the 9800 Pro? In its prime that was the top card, nothing could touch it. Cards like that have a long life. You get a ~$250 card, it won't last near as long if you got the 9800 when it was first run.

Does the $230 for a new card include what you would be selling the 9800 for? If not, you might want to entertain that idea, unless you already have a use for it when it gets replaced in the system it's coming out of. $230 unfortunately won't buy a real powerhouse of a video card right now, but tack on another $100 to $200 and you have a whole 'nother world of possibilities.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
What do you play? What settings do you want to play said games at?

When did you get the 9800 Pro? In its prime that was the top card, nothing could touch it. Cards like that have a long life. You get a ~$250 card, it won't last near as long if you got the 9800 when it was first run.

I play CS:S...HL2...Doom3...whatever new game is out at the highest settings I can play them out. I am a really big gamer. I used to play invite in CAL a few years ago, so gaming takes up a lot of my spare time. I got the 9800 pro about a year ago for around $200. I always like to upgrade when the next big jump to a new vid card gets down to around $200 or so.

DejaWiz said:
Does the $230 for a new card include what you would be selling the 9800 for? If not, you might want to entertain that idea, unless you already have a use for it when it gets replaced in the system it's coming out of. $230 unfortunately won't buy a real powerhouse of a video card right now, but tack on another $100 to $200 and you have a whole 'nother world of possibilities.

It does not include the sell of my 9800 pro, although I do plan to sell it when I upgrade. I noticed recently that the x800XL has gotten down to around $240 or so, so that is why I am questioning the opportunity for an upgrade because I think that would be a big enough jump to upgrade from a 9800 pro, but I am not sure and why I am asking.

Also, with the new ATI R520 or whatever to be coming out soon, it might drop the price of the X800xl and other cards even lower, so I don't know if I should stick it for a few more months, but my 9800 pro is getting pretty damn hot and this artic cooling thing has me stuck between getting that OR getting a new vid card..

-fro

Back