9800 PRO to x700 or 6600 -> downgrade or upgrade?

Bakku

Limp Gawd
i've seen many reviews about x700 and 6600 floating on the internet, but i cant seem to find a review that puts 9800 pro against the 2 new cards.

any ideas? i guess 9800s are still better/faster than x700/6600, correct me if i am wrong.

No, you are wrong. The 6600GTs are a little more expensive than the 9800P but they are I'd say on average of 25% faster.

but all 6600s (including GT) have only 128-bit memory interface, right?
will 8 pipes + 128-bit memory > 8 pipes + 256-bit memory?

the 9800 pro is slower than the 6600GT reguardless of the features, its just a fact, you cant compare them apples to apples because its two different technologies

Firingsquad included 9800 Pro & 9800XT numbers in their review and from what they get there isn't much reason to upgrade from a 9800 Pro. There are some situations where the newer cards do much better, but there are many others where the 9800 Pro performs on par or even better.

I personally think that an OCed 9800 Pro 128mb 256bit(mine), will be on par with the new mid range cards or better. Mine has a volt mod on it, and core is at 509 and memory is 437x2. I think that mine would beat the new cards, prove me wrong if you think so.

I would hold on to the 9800 pro...

You never know how HL2 will run on nVidia...

The ONLY thing to upgrade to from a 9800Pro is an X800XT-PE if you're gonna stay loyal..

It won't be much of an upgrade except for when playing Doom3. Since most have beaten the game and moved on, it isn't much of a factor.

You also have to consider that you must replace your motherboard, cpu, and RAM just to get one of these cards (only Intel solutions right now). This is unless you are waiting for the VIA or Nvidia PCI-e chipsets on an A64.

Catsonar said:
I personally think that an OCed 9800 Pro 128mb 256bit(mine), will be on par with the new mid range cards or better. Mine has a volt mod on it, and core is at 509 and memory is 437x2. I think that mine would beat the new cards, prove me wrong if you think so.

absolutely SICK overclock on both core and memory. i mean, holy crap. How are you cooling? Particularly the RAM, better have cooling on those beeeyotches. .

btw, what is your 3dmark03 score ~7200?

techreport.com's review of the 6600 GT put it up against a 9800 XT and it beat it nearly every time...

so you can infer that its that much better than a 9800 Pro.

UltimateMan said:
absolutely SICK overclock on both core and memory. i mean, holy crap. How are you cooling? Particularly the RAM, better have cooling on those beeeyotches. .

btw, what is your 3dmark03 score ~7200?

watercooling it, with a dangerden waterblock,not sure which exactly, and the volt mod that I i did on it was done with CPU's magazines last months issue, great how to article. Oh and with the water cooling setup I have a peltier on the res to cool the water, so the radiator removes the heat while then exits into the res and cooled down and then goes to the components. and i have a 3dmark03

Going to a 6600 would be an upgrade for Doom3. In most everything else it would probably be a sideways move with either the x700 or 6600.

Quake 4 maybe next, next year would probably also see a similar speed bump.

If, as many are saying, the only place you would really get a sizeable boost is in
Doom III, I would say to save your money for a bigger upgrade.
D3 itself does not justify spending money. In addition I'd say if you were thinking about buying D3 to save that money and put it towards a big upgrade.

Catsonar said:
watercooling it, with a dangerden waterblock,not sure which exactly, and the volt mod that I i did on it was done with CPU's magazines last months issue, great how to article. Oh and with the water cooling setup I have a peltier on the res to cool the water, so the radiator removes the heat while then exits into the res and cooled down and then goes to the components. and i have a 3dmark03

What cooling do you have on the ram though? Does the water block touch the ram too? That is pretty friggin' sick.. Can you V-mod ram?

~Adam

Back