• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

[9800 Pro] Random hangs, even after 2 formats.

Lukstr

n00b
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
14
First off, my specs:

Windows XP Pro
P4 2.4 GHz 400 MHz FSB, Overclocked to 3.0 GHz
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
1024 MB Dual Channel OCZ DDR-SDRAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB graphics card
Creative Audigy 2 sound card

I think that's all that's important, anyways.
Now, my problem beings a couple of days ago, when I got Doom3. I had been previously playing a lot of Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War before I installed and played Doom3. Dawn of War ran fine. When I insatlled Doom3, it randomly crashed a couple minutes into the game, so I thought it might be a driver problem, and updated my drivers. At the time I was using Omega drivers, and I updated to the latest, which caused even worse problems, so I rolled back to the previous Omega drivers, and Doom3 was still very bad. Now, when I went to play Dawn of War, which had previously ran fine, it now crashed as well. So, needing to do so anyways, I reformatted my C: drive, and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP. Then, to my surprise, after installing all the default drivers included with the hardware, my computer still crashed. I decided to format again, this time to not install my Radeon drivers, which I suspected to be the problem. So far, no more hangs/crashes. So I decided to install the Radeon drivers again, and then the crashing begins again. So, at the moment, my Radeon card is disabled, no drivers installed. My computer hasn't crashed yet. IF I install the drivers/enable the card, I suspect it will continue to crash. I have no idea why it's doing this, might be a hardware error, but I don't want to send away my video card just yet, especially if it's something I can fix myself. Any ideas?

- Lukstr

Also, I have my BIOS and everything else (audio, chipset) up to date driver wise, so I can only pin it on my Radeon. I did think for a while it could be an IRQ conflict, but I can't find anyway to prove that theory.

[edit] I have a P4 2.4C proc.
 
gfx cards require special configuration in the bios, turn on manual IRQ assigning, disable IRQ 11 ( I think that's right but re-check on google) and then the hanging is gone.

~Adam
 
I'll give that a shot, though everytime I restart my computer, my video card is on a different IRQ. I thought originally the AGP and PCI slot 1 shared an IRQ, but it seems to change every boot. Right now my Radeon is sharing with two USB ports on IRQ 16. Last time it was alone on IRQ 10. :confused:
 
I am starting to think the 9800 pro's just suck. I am on the final straw with mine.
 
Ok, I did what you suggested, and reserved the IRQ slot 11, however, the Radeon and others in that slot just pick another one. After leaving my computer on with the card enabled for 5 hours, I thought I fixed it, and said to my friend "No crashes yet today!" and then it crashed. And crashed a few times after that. Any more suggestions?
 
uhhhh

is your overclock prime95 tested? i can't get my 2.4b past 2880 stable, I highly doubt that you oc is stable
 
yea sounds like a heat problem, but you DO need irq 11 off, or it does crash as well.
 
I'm pretty sure it's stable, especially since I got the crashes even when not overclocked. I also ran the computer overclocked 24/7 since last august. Only problem is now.
 
I ran Dawn of War a moment ago, and it DID run, however the screen had various polygons thrown about and a bunch of artifacts blinking around. My computer crashed a few seconds after that.
 
it seems the radeon has died. I rebooted after another crash, only to find scattered white/black dots in my POST and BIOS screens, and a quite distorted windows loading screen, etc.
 
It really does appear the card has died. I took it to a computer shop, and they said the fan was dead. so I bought a thermal take giant-aluminum mofo and installed it, only to find that the damage had already been done.
 
Back
Top