• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800 Pro or 6800 GT?

TheSpoon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
431
Is the price difference justified? I'm upgrading from a Ti4200, so I keep my hardware around for a while... The new vid card will be paired up with an A64 3400. I'm not gonna play Doom3 or HL2 because I'm not into those types of games, but I will play Tribes Vengeance and whatever else happens to come out that interests me (space/flight sims, RTSs, racers). Right now I'm playing IL-2: FB and it runs at about 10fps at parts, which is annoying...
 
the 6800GT will last you a lot longer...and is almost twice as fast as the 9800...
 
definitely go for the 6800GT hands down, itll own in tribes vegnence which uses the unreal engine.
 
wrong answers all of you!

get the 9800 pro for now, wait for the 512 cards to come out, then get those.
the 9800 pro will last you until the 512 cards come out, and you 'll want them so you'll be able to play doom at ultra settings.
when even higher tech cards are about to come out, you dont want to be stuck with the card below the newest generation
 
purerealm said:
wrong answers all of you!

get the 9800 pro for now, wait for the 512 cards to come out, then get those.
the 9800 pro will last you until the 512 cards come out, and you 'll want them so you'll be able to play doom at ultra settings.
when even higher tech cards are about to come out, you dont want to be stuck with the card below the newest generation

First off theres been no indication of 512 video cards coming anytime soon. Neither nVidia or ATI have shown a thing about 512 video cards being on any road maps. So its kinda hard to "wait" for something that you dont even know when its coming out...hell you cant even speculate on when its coming out untill its made completely official.

Secondly he said..
TheSpoon said:
I'm not gonna play Doom3 or HL2 because I'm not into those types of games

So why would you tell him to get a peice of hardware for something that he doesnt even have any use for? Thats like you telling me you only want to buy an American car and then I tell you that you should buy a Honda Civic cause its a good high quaility car. lol

I love getting laughs out of these forums. But all fun a side you should get a 6800GT as everyone else gave very accurate reasons for that purchase.
 
thanks for all your replies....
MemoryInAGarden: money's not THAT big an issue, but you know, always nice to save a few hundred dollars.

purerealm: I have no interest in Doom3 really, so I'm not sure that applies.
 
purerealm said:
wrong answers all of you!

get the 9800 pro for now, wait for the 512 cards to come out, then get those.
the 9800 pro will last you until the 512 cards come out, and you 'll want them so you'll be able to play doom at ultra settings.
when even higher tech cards are about to come out, you dont want to be stuck with the card below the newest generation


1. 512 cards won't yield any increase in performance in any game besides Doom 3 right now.

2. Today's cards can run the game in ":Ultra" mode.

3. The 9800 ain't going to last much past the end of the year.
 
TheSpoon said:
thanks for all your replies....
MemoryInAGarden: money's not THAT big an issue, but you know, always nice to save a few hundred dollars.

purerealm: I have no interest in Doom3 really, so I'm not sure that applies.
Well, after hearing people saying that D3 is pretty enjoyable with a 9700/9800 level vid card or a NV equivalent, I think i'm gonna wait until revisions of current gen vid cards come out. I've been doing when it comes to vid card purchasing anyway.
 
The guy said he doesn't play FPS. So a 9800pro will suit your needs fine buddy.

Don't you guys even read his post?
 
DemonDiablo said:
First off theres been no indication of 512 video cards coming anytime soon. Neither nVidia or ATI have shown a thing about 512 video cards being on any road maps. So its kinda hard to "wait" for something that you dont even know when its coming out...hell you cant even speculate on when its coming out untill its made completely official.

Secondly he said..


So why would you tell him to get a peice of hardware for something that he doesnt even have any use for? Thats like you telling me you only want to buy an American car and then I tell you that you should buy a Honda Civic cause its a good high quaility car. lol

I love getting laughs out of these forums. But all fun a side you should get a 6800GT as everyone else gave very accurate reasons for that purchase.

6800GT for sure; there's no reason to get a last-generation card unless it's not a gaming system. Oh and a Civic IS a high quality car. If it wasn't, Honda would be out of the 4-wheel industry. It's definitely not a fast car by any means though.
 
lol I wasnt knocking on Honda by any means I was just trying to make a point...I think you understand what I was trying to get at though :)
 
DemonDiablo said:
lol I wasnt knocking on Honda by any means I was just trying to make a point...I think you understand what I was trying to get at though :)

I sure did, I'm just a Honda enthusiast is all. :D
 
I would go with the 9800 Pro. Its a very nice card. Keep with that until the 512mb cards begin to appear on the market and who knows when. Then by that time you can get one of those and continue to stay ahead in the graphics card department. This is true since you have no need to play extremly demanding games such as DOOM or Half Life 2. Just one mans opinion though.
 
tranCendenZ said:
Isn't that sort of like being an FX5200 enthusiast?

J/K :p

Hey no amount of money can make a FX5200 fast enough to be decent. :p
 
I say get the 6800GT if you want cutting edge, but you dont like FPS so I think you'll be able to get away with a 9800Pro, but then you gotta live with a last generation card. Seeing how you held onto your old card for a while, your used to that (as am I).


So in conclusion..... 9800Pro and a Subaru.
 
heatsinker said:
Hey no amount of money can make a FX5200 fast enough to be decent. :p

Ok... I'm failing to see where my analogy is faulty ;)

heh now i really asked for it :eek:
 
I can't wait to get my hands on a 6800GT... And a 2100LB Civic.

Both are very good deals. :D
 
my videocard:

6800gt.jpg


my car (not my pics, but same model/yr/color, my wheels are the ones in the 2nd pic):

bluebird.jpg


bluebird2.jpg


goddamn i pwn ;)
 
u might regret buying the 9800pro in a few months. but their no way u will regret buy the GT. besides if you have the money dont settle for less. i just bought a 9800pro its great i waited sooooo long though. Now im drooling over the new cards. just my 2 cents ;)
 
:p Touche. Seriously, I can't wait to join the 10K 3DMark03 club. I just need somebody to buy this stinking laptop first!
 
I would just like to apoligize to TheSpoon for hi-jacking your thread and turning it into a my car is better than yours thread. In all honesty I didnt mean for this to happen :(

On another note im not exactly a huge fan of Civic/Honda but id take one of those cars over a thunderbird any day of the week! I mean seriously were u drunk and high when you bought that ugly car? Thing looks like a turd on wheels! I dont understand why people waste their money on ugly cars like they cant find something better to blow 20,30, or 40g's on?
 
DemonDiablo said:
I would just like to apoligize to TheSpoon for hi-jacking your thread and turning it into a my car is better than yours thread. In all honesty I didnt mean for this to happen :(

On another note im not exactly a huge fan of Civic/Honda but id take one of those cars over a thunderbird any day of the week! I mean seriously were u drunk and high when you bought that ugly car? Thing looks like a turd on wheels! I dont understand why people waste their money on ugly cars like they cant find something better to blow 20,30, or 40g's on?

Hey, at least it's lighthearted. Bring this discussion over to the Cars forum and flames will start to fly when you mention the word Civic.
 
DemonDiablo said:
I would just like to apoligize to TheSpoon for hi-jacking your thread and turning it into a my car is better than yours thread. In all honesty I didnt mean for this to happen :(

Ah it's all good...

Anyway, I'll probably go with a GT. Flight sims are generally pretty demanding (couldn't even run LO-MAC at decent frame rate at all), and I do plan to keep it around for a while so...
 
Back
Top