• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800 Pro or 6600GT?

vortec4800

Gawd
Joined
Sep 19, 2003
Messages
946
Would a 9800 Pro (overclock to 412/365 which are the 9800XT speeds) AGP be a higher or lower performer than a 6600GT, either standard clock speeds or only a slight overclock? I'm building a PCI-E system and currently have the 9800pro, and I'm wondering if a 6600GT will give me about the same performance or a little more for cheap until I upgrade, or if I should just get a 6800GT. I understand the 6800GT will be more performance, but I'd like to get away from spending the extra for now if I can.
 
vortec4800 said:
Would a 9800 Pro (overclock to 412/365 which are the 9800XT speeds) AGP be a higher or lower performer than a 6600GT, either standard clock speeds or only a slight overclock? I'm building a PCI-E system and currently have the 9800pro, and I'm wondering if a 6600GT will give me about the same performance or a little more for cheap until I upgrade, or if I should just get a 6800GT. I understand the 6800GT will be more performance, but I'd like to get away from spending the extra for now if I can.
a 6800gt isnt that expensive anymore
 
True, but neither is a 6600GT. I could save $100 - $150 by going with the 6600GT over the 6800GT.
 
Well if you just look at benchmarks from ORB you will see that the highest 9800 Pro score on 3DMark05 is just under 4500 and the average is closer to 3100

For the 6600GT there are scores in the 8000 range near the 7800GT with an average on an overclocked Athlon64 around 7000. That score alone should show that it is a faster card than a 980XT or 9800 Pro.

For referece (top scores only

9800 Pro
3DMark05 4455
3DMark03 8372
3DMark01 SE 35003

6600GT

3DMark05 8811
3DMark03 18349
3DMark01 SE 37045

OK so all that says is that the 6600GT should be capable of hanging with an overclocked 9800Pro in any game. That's it. The 9800 Pro is not a Directx 9 part so of course the later games and tests will look better on the 6600GT. Good Choice on the cheap.
 
For the 6600GT there are scores in the 8000 range


1 6600GT does not score 8000s in 3dmark05. Those are SLId 6600GTs.


Anyway, the 6600GT stock will be slightly faster than a 9800 pro OCd.
 
Treyshadow said:
Well if you just look at benchmarks from ORB you will see that the highest 9800 Pro score on 3DMark05 is just under 4500 and the average is closer to 3100

For the 6600GT there are scores in the 8000 range near the 7800GT with an average on an overclocked Athlon64 around 7000. That score alone should show that it is a faster card than a 980XT or 9800 Pro.

For referece (top scores only

9800 Pro
3DMark05 4455
3DMark03 8372
3DMark01 SE 35003

6600GT

3DMark05 8811
3DMark03 18349
3DMark01 SE 37045

OK so all that says is that the 6600GT should be capable of hanging with an overclocked 9800Pro in any game. That's it. The 9800 Pro is not a Directx 9 part so of course the later games and tests will look better on the 6600GT. Good Choice on the cheap.

This guys 6600Gt numbers are VERY wrong. I was getting 6400 3dmark05 with 6600GT Sli. Put the pipe down bro ;)
 
That's it. The 9800 Pro is not a Directx 9 part so of course the later games and tests will look better on the 6600GT. Good Choice on the cheap.


whoa, didn't even notice he said that...the 9800 pro is definitely dx9.
 
qbackin said:
This guys 6600Gt numbers are VERY wrong. I was getting 6400 3dmark05 with 6600GT Sli. Put the pipe down bro ;)

QFT! The 6600GT should be able to keep up with the 9800xt in all the games, and beat it in games based on the doom3 engine. The comp in my sig with a stock 6600GT scored 7900 in 3dmark 03 and 3200 in 05. The 9800pro is definitely a dx9 part too. I was gonna ask what he was smoking too and if he would send me some. Oh and if you absolutely can't upgrade to something like a 6800GT I'd wait a couple weeks till you save up the money for one. I just can't see the relevance of changing platforms but not getting much more performance out of a new component.
 
6600 GT is faster in Far Cry by a good margain Prolly 30% faster???!!!??? than the 9800 pro...whereas the 6800 GT is like 50% faster.

Not sure if you play it much but it's a great game...though I'm with the rest of the crowd, hold out for a 6800 GT

I bought mine about 4 months ago on ebay for 190 shipped...you might find one now for 170-180 shipped.
 
A) the 9800 pro won't work in the PCI-E slot
B) the 6600Gt will be slightly faster. You may notice a difference in some games, but nothing to write home over. On the other hand a 6800 GT will make you a very happy person.
 
here's my take on it. i have a 9800pro flashed to xt so I might be a bit biased. Anyways...the 6600gt is a utilizes a 128bit memory architecture and the 9800 uses a 256bit memory architecture. they both perform around the same and the 6600gt beats the 9800pro in most benchmarks and hl2 benchmarks at 1024X768. But the 9800 beats the 6600gt once you get up to the higher resolutions like 1680X1050 with Aa and Af on. I have the the Dell 2005fpw widescreen 20inch and I'm glad that I'm using the 9800 instead of the 6600gt. the 6600gt is definitely a fast card and it is great too, i highly recommend it if you're going to use 1024X768 or maybe even 1280.

You can check it out on tom's hardware or check out this thread

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about2258.html
 
The whole Radeon 9series is last gen... Everything is better which is next gen.. like Geforce 6 and 7 series and Radeon X series :p
 
The whole Radeon 9series is last gen... Everything is better which is next gen

Uhh, that's not true. A 6200 and a 6600 are slower than the 9800 pro/xt.
 
Phranq said:
Uhh, that's not true. A 6200 and a 6600 are slower than the 9800 pro/xt.

I think thats pretty easy to spot there... a 9800Pro and XT are alot better than the X300 as well :rolleyes:

What was the high end back then is about midrange today... AKA 6600GT :p
 
OP:

I did what you are doing. I went from socket A/AGP to s939/PCI-e. I had a 9800pro stock, and am currently on a 6600GT PCI-e stock. I am enjoying games better on the 6600GT. Granted I only game at 1024x768, but I still think the 6600GT is doing better. I haven't run any tests, and I just hosed my system this weekend and am still trying to get it back up (lost a ton of data :( ), so I won't be able to either.

But I went from the 9800pro to the 6600GT and I noticed a difference. I have it paired with a s939 3000+. I had the 9800pro paired with a Barton 3000+.

I wanted to move to PCI-e and s939, but not spend a lot.
 
Tiny said:
OP:

I did what you are doing. I went from socket A/AGP to s939/PCI-e. I had a 9800pro stock, and am currently on a 6600GT PCI-e stock. I am enjoying games better on the 6600GT. Granted I only game at 1024x768, but I still think the 6600GT is doing better. I haven't run any tests, and I just hosed my system this weekend and am still trying to get it back up (lost a ton of data :( ), so I won't be able to either.

But I went from the 9800pro to the 6600GT and I noticed a difference. I have it paired with a s939 3000+. I had the 9800pro paired with a Barton 3000+.

I wanted to move to PCI-e and s939, but not spend a lot.
wow you upgraded to new proc and mobo and video card and say thats better then an old school athlonxp rig? wow great opinion........how about use the 9800 pro and the 6600 in same rig to decide.......as you can see from my other post they arent much diffrent from each other.........so really your opinion doesnt matter much here and doesnt help OP at all

soulsaver_8229
 
Treyshadow said:
Well if you just look at benchmarks from ORB you will see that the highest 9800 Pro score on 3DMark05 is just under 4500 and the average is closer to 3100

For the 6600GT there are scores in the 8000 range near the 7800GT with an average on an overclocked Athlon64 around 7000. That score alone should show that it is a faster card than a 980XT or 9800 Pro.

For referece (top scores only

9800 Pro
3DMark05 4455
3DMark03 8372
3DMark01 SE 35003

6600GT

3DMark05 8811
3DMark03 18349
3DMark01 SE 37045

OK so all that says is that the 6600GT should be capable of hanging with an overclocked 9800Pro in any game. That's it. The 9800 Pro is not a Directx 9 part so of course the later games and tests will look better on the 6600GT. Good Choice on the cheap.
your wrong in all of your post.........i would tell you why but i think if you re-read your post youll see why........i hope ;)

soulsaver_8229
 
Obi_Kwiet said:
A) the 9800 pro won't work in the PCI-E slot
B) the 6600Gt will be slightly faster. You may notice a difference in some games, but nothing to write home over. On the other hand a 6800 GT will make you a very happy person.


have you owned both cards and gamed on both? not changing any other spec of your computer?

just because the 6600 is new tech and new core, doesnt mean it beats the hell out of last gen cores.......serriously people do some reasearch please........9800 pro flashed to xt will be as good IF NOT better than a 6600gt

AND, OP said he would have to upgrade to a new mobo and proc i believe......why spend money on a card that can play any game to date today.......settings mean nothing, but it can dam sure pump a game out, hell my 9600 pro 128mb played BF2 for when i played it........yeah it laged and coughed but i played


soulsaver_8229
 
wow this is an easy one. 6600 blows the 9800 out of the water like hurricane Katrina.
 
Kaiga said:
wow this is an easy one. 6600 blows the 9800 out of the water like hurricane Katrina.
this is easier, you know not what you speak of!! whew that was easy )

soulsaver_8229
 
nobrainer said:
I think you need to watch your attitude towards others.

nah not really.........to many fan boi's that need to realize that 2 gen old graphics cards might actualy withstand years of top end gaming.......i know my very old 9600 pro has.......

and for the fact that no one but me and another posted links to compare the 2 cards in question.........shows that everyone is yapping but no hard evidence is coming out.......
thats where the 20 pages flame threads come from, peoples lack of links to show something is better than the other........for what reasons......herd theroy my friend, herd theory..... ;)

soulsaver_8229
 
nobrainer said:
Benches can't be used as hard evidence of how a card performs in games

really now? why bother benching in.......say Halo2, Halflife2, Farcry, Doom3.......i can keep going.........why bother benching those games..........if it doesnt show how well a card can preform?

now, ill agree with you that 3Dmark __ i dont think is a good way to benchmark........but most sites who bench cards, use those games above........in fact most are using BF2 as well........

so......yes benchies can be used, and are used to see how well a card will preform......speicaly against another card.......you think people go on by looks? :p


soulsaver_8229
 
gotkilled said:
here's my take on it. i have a 9800pro flashed to xt so I might be a bit biased. Anyways...the 6600gt is a utilizes a 128bit memory architecture and the 9800 uses a 256bit memory architecture. they both perform around the same and the 6600gt beats the 9800pro in most benchmarks and hl2 benchmarks at 1024X768. But the 9800 beats the 6600gt once you get up to the higher resolutions like 1680X1050 with Aa and Af on. I have the the Dell 2005fpw widescreen 20inch and I'm glad that I'm using the 9800 instead of the 6600gt. the 6600gt is definitely a fast card and it is great too, i highly recommend it if you're going to use 1024X768 or maybe even 1280.

You can check it out on tom's hardware or check out this thread

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about2258.html

At those high resolutions a 9800 pro, as well as the 6600GT, is useless in modern games.
To original poster, get a 6600GT over a 9800pro
 
wow this is an easy one. 6600 blows the 9800 out of the water like hurricane Katrina.


The 6600 GT doesn't blow a 9800 pro at xt speeds out of the water, although it does beat it out. That is one of the most inconsiderate analogies I've heard in a while though, way to make an ass out of yourself.
 
Well if you are going to consider a 6600gt, you are better off considering a 6800, maybe even a 6800LE ($130 on newegg right now).
 
soulsaver_8229 said:
really now? why bother benching in.......say Halo2, Halflife2, Farcry, Doom3.......i can keep going.........why bother benching those games..........if it doesnt show how well a card can preform?

now, ill agree with you that 3Dmark __ i dont think is a good way to benchmark........but most sites who bench cards, use those games above........in fact most are using BF2 as well........

so......yes benchies can be used, and are used to see how well a card will preform......speicaly against another card.......you think people go on by looks? :p


soulsaver_8229

Im not speaking game benches, I'm talking about the 3Dmarks which YOU posted a link to. That, even according to you, is not hard evidence of how well a card performs in games. So before you get carried away with your criticizing and condesending attitude I suggest you back off on other who are trying to help.
 
I'll make this simple. These are some of the best benches which are done every month.

I'm only gonna list a couple that are 1024 res no AA/AF and with AA/AF

Far cry bench without AA 1024 res
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0705/itogi-video-fc2-wxp-1024-agp.html

Far cry bench with AA 1024 res
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0705/itogi-video-fc2-wxp-aaa-1024-agp.html

6600GT easily defeats 9800 pro


Half Life 2 bench without AA 1024
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0705/itogi-video-hl1-wxp-1024-agp.html
(9800 pro actually wins by 3fps but....)

Half Life 2 bench with AA 1024
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0705/itogi-video-hl1-wxp-aaa-1024-agp.html
(...turn on 4xAA/16xAF and boom, 6600GT flys by and wins by ~30fps!!)


Doom 3 bench without AA 1024
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0705/itogi-video-d3-wxp-1024-agp.html
(6600GT destroys 9800pro by ~40fps)

Doom 3 bench with AA 1024
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/0705/itogi-video-d3-wxp-aaa-1024-agp.html
(Again, 6600GT wins by ~19fps)


So basically, probably 9 times out of 10 the 6600GT will be faster, with AA or no AA, lower res, or high res, no matter what.

YES IT EVEN INCLUDES HALF LIFE 2. That a 9800 pro is faster than a 6600GT in HL2 is only falsehood. It only won by 3fps in the no AA/AF at 1024. After that, it gets beat like a red headed stepchild .

:p
 
Kaiga said:
wow this is an easy one. 6600 blows the 9800 out of the water like hurricane Katrina.
no a 9800pro is faster than the 6600 but not the 6600gt
 
nobrainer said:
Im not speaking game benches, I'm talking about the 3Dmarks which YOU posted a link to. That, even according to you, is not hard evidence of how well a card performs in games. So before you get carried away with your criticizing and condesending attitude I suggest you back off on other who are trying to help.
You beat me to it about saying that 3DMarks don't really count for much, its real gameplay framerates that we should be concerned about as that is what they should be used for... we had a blackout late last night just as I was posting, and obviously is not here. I can't remember exactly what I said...

Oh wait, I remember: One key difference is that the 6600GT has DDR3, while the 9800 will have DDR, maybe DDR2. Obviously this increases the bandwidth of the memory, so more textures and info can be moved around the card in a certain period of time. Also, you have to remember that the innovations (including DX 9.0c and improved SM3 support) that the new-gen cards bring are always going to improve performance in every facet. Those sorts of improvements are invaluable.
 
Back
Top