9800 Pro impressions

Well, i made the switch to give ATI a chance, went from a Ti4200 to a 9800 Pro. Here's some impressions:

2D quality was better on the Nvidia, I can see lines in colors on my wallpaper now that wasn't apparant with the nvidia card. Also, color is very washed out now on my second monitor while it was much more rich and vibrant with the Nvidia.

3d performance is through the roof. 1600x1200 on UT2k4 with everything turned on, runs flawlessly. That being said, I really don't see that much difference in quality between that and the Ti4200. I really think AA and AF is overrated. Everyone kept raving about ATI's quality, I just don't see a real difference difference.

Anyway, I'm happy, it's a solid card so far, things are working that should be working. And games play great, for 220 bucks, it'll hold me over until the next batch of cards :)

i also just made the switch from a ti4200 to a 9800pro.
major difference in preformance, but i dont see how the image quality is any different or worse.

How old are your monitors?

I've got a few rigs here.

Nvidia is over saturated un natural color, 3d image is NOT as sharp.

Originally posted by ZigZagZeppelin
How old are your monitors?

I've got a few rigs here.

Nvidia is over saturated un natural color, 3d image is NOT as sharp.

totally disagree.. i wish i could have nvidia color quality with the ati image quality. ati colors are so washed out its pathetic. thats the only thing that keeps me from even thinking about ever going back to nvidia

I really think AA and AF is overrated.
No way. I won't play a game without them anymore. Play with them on for about a month and then turn them off. Disgusting. Well, with the resolution I am running anyway.

What kind of monitors do you own as you card can be the best on planet earth and still look shit with a bad monitor?

And turn up your resolution to 1600x1200 with 8xAA 16xAA then have a looksee or if you still own the TI4200 try this on that card then you will have your answer plain and simple;)

I have a Dell 2001FP, and the second monitor is a Viewsonic VG171b. The colors look a lot better on the Dell via DVI, but not so good on the Viewsonic. I play at 1600x1200 with all the bells and whistles on UT2k4, it looks good. Yes, AA and AF make a little difference, but I really don't think that much, especially at that res. Halo looks good, still not playable at 1600x1200, but at 1280x1024 with everything on it looks better than the TI4200 (i think mostly cuz it's running in DX9 mode).

I agree with Nexx, I loved NVidia's colors, very rich and vibrant.

Anyway, I'm definatly happy with performance, it totaly rocks in everything I've thrown at it so far.

Originally posted by ZigZagZeppelin

Nvidia is over saturated un natural color

Originally posted by Nexx
ati colors are so washed out its pathetic.
it sounds to me like you guys just are too used to how your personal video card company looks;)

why don't you just play around with the Color tab in the control panel...turn gamma and brightness down, and contrast up.

Originally posted by jagec
it sounds to me like you guys just are too used to how your personal video card company looks;)

why don't you just play around with the Color tab in the control panel...turn gamma and brightness down, and contrast up.

No, it's the digital vibrance option from NVidia I liked. I put that on the lowest setting, i upped the saturation just right, I guess i'm just spoiled from that. I'm not saying the ATI's look bad in 2d, just....different. I prefer the Nvidia saturation.

I just got my 9800pro today, it replaced a ti4400. 3dm03 went from 1586 to 6177, aquamark 18956 to 38096. BF1942 plays silky smooth now with all the goodies. I am quite happy so far and have only tried the new 4.2's

i just bought the sapphire off newegg the other day ($215.. they finally hooked me...), which will be replacing a gf3 classic.. People are mentioning "washed out colors" and i was just wondering if the ATI catalyst drivers have any features equivalent to nvidia's "Digital Vibrance" control which allows you to more or less increase the intensity of displayed colors. i always keep/kept it on medium, because i think it looks alot better than with it off.

Just Curious did you recalibrate the monitor? Using something along the lines of displaymate etc. Some monitors have a feature...color return which might help as well.

Might be worthwhile to reset the monitor to factor setting and starting from there.

I chuckle hearing the complaints about color quality. On calibrated monitors I've always received better color quality with ATI than with nVidia. Neither can match a Matrox in 2D but the ATI is definitely better.

so let me get this straight, on the same monitor, no adjustments made to it inbetween the card switch, I think the NVidia looks better than the ATI, and you blame it on the monitor?

The monitor is constant, so I would have to adjust my monitor to make ATI look better? I see...that's just stupid.

I did tweak around with the monitor using the monitors direct calibration tool. The NVidia still looks better, like i said before, it's the digital vibrance, it makes a big difference. It kicks it up just enough to make everything a little bit more richer.

Originally posted by badasspenguin
so let me get this straight, on the same monitor, no adjustments made to it inbetween the card switch, I think the NVidia looks better than the ATI, and you blame it on the monitor?

The monitor is constant, so I would have to adjust my monitor to make ATI look better? I see...that's just stupid.

I did tweak around with the monitor using the monitors direct calibration tool. The NVidia still looks better, like i said before, it's the digital vibrance, it makes a big difference. It kicks it up just enough to make everything a little bit more richer.

Hardly. However did you every try creating a profile and applying a LUT to match the video card to the monitor and maximize the image quality? If no then you can't justify your statement. If out of the box one looks better then that's great. However if you don't calibrate, or even just tweak the color settings in the driver or reset the monitor to give everything a chance to settle you're not ever going to know.

I really think AA and AF is overrated

I seriously doubt you mean this comment. Every time somebody makes a post like this they ALWAYS say this same comment over and over again.

Originally posted by SnakEyez187
I seriously doubt you mean this comment. Every time somebody makes a post like this they ALWAYS say this same comment over and over again.

We're so used to looking at aliasing in games that we think it's part of the detail, so when it's first gone it's almost as if we have to untrain our eyes. But regardless it's not like we go around in real life looking at the world through glasses that create aliasing.

I have had nvidia since geforce 2 and I liked it alot I recently had a fx5900 and compared it to the 9800. The 9800 was much better in picture quality. When I played nfs underground the headlights were so bright It blurred the image and there were quite a few blurred images even without lights the nvidia felt a little faster but the picture to me was unacceptable

When I played nfs underground the headlights were so bright It blurred the image and there were quite a few blurred images even without lights the nvidia felt a little faster but the picture to me was unacceptable

That's more of a rendering issue than an output quality issue per se :)

The NVidia still looks better, like i said before, it's the digital vibrance, it makes a big difference.

If you like DVC (not I) then you should stick to nvidia cards.
Just don't claim it's a more accurate representation of the signal (since you're modifying it), okay?

In the past ATi's output quality was pretty obviously better (probably because the board makers scrimped on DACs), but I havent noticed much of a difference since the GeForce3 generation.

edited for clarity

Just don't claim it's a more accurate representation of the signal (since you're modifying it), okay?

Wow, you people need to take an f'n pill. I just said I thought the NVidia 2d quality looked better. I didn't claim color accuracy, I said it was richer looking on the Nvidia card. Through all the tweaking and whatnot, I can't get the ATI too look as good on my desktop as I did with the NVidia...it's not the end of the fucking world.

I have been through 2 ti4200's and 1 ti4400, none of them came close to a r300 core in anything, at all. I have a 9500pro, 9700pro, and a 9800pro.

I just said I thought the NVidia 2d quality looked better. I didn't claim color accuracy, I said it was richer looking on the Nvidia card. Through all the tweaking and whatnot, I can't get the ATI too look as good on my desktop as I did with the NVidia...it's not the end of the fucking world.

Calm down Tex, no ones questioning your sisters honor here.

DVC is not stock and not more accurate.
If you like it better, that's fine by me since that's personal preference. Don't let anyone tell you different.

No one came anywhere close to saying this is "the end of the fscking world", I think you need to lay off the caffeine pills.

That statement came off to me as, cocky and just shut the fuck up. Anyway, yeah, I don't care about accuracy like you said, as long as it looks good :)

I agree with many of you that the NVidia feature "digital vibrance" was an excellent feature. I moved to a 9800 Pro from a G4 ti-4200 and like the quality of the ATI but it does appear washed out even after tweaking.

Someone needs to make a program to adjust the "vibrance".

:D

I'll be going from my GF4 MX420 64MB to a 9800 pro soon, i wonder how much of a difference i'll see. :D

i just got a 9800 pro too... from a gf4 4200... got a new mobo/proc to go along with it... 3d peformance is very nice, games play the way they were meant by the designers... i like it...

2d quality, looks the same, side by side... i can't see a difference

3d quality... yea, ati pwnz0rz... but it is a full generation ahead, not really fair comparing the two i don't guess

driver quality.. not had a problem yet, but i really haven't played too many games in the 5 days i've had it

i give it a 5 out of 5... i'm poor, and was thinking about going with a diff card, i'm so glad i didn't, it was worth every penny

The guy already acknowleged the R9800 blows away the TI4200 in 3D. His complaint is a lack of nV's Digital Vibrance enhancement. RTFT.

I've used the vibrance before. Always looked too intense for my taste.

My laptop has it too. Never use it.

Aha! I just made the Ti4200 --> Radeon 9800 Pro upgrade myself. I must admit, I did find the 2D colors just a tad more vibrant on the ol' ti4200. I also noticed the image bing a bit more 'crisp' on the Radeon (I guess that's good). I had an Abit OTES ti4200 and it sounded like a turbine engine. The Radeon is much more quiet But the ti4200 was a freaking fantastic card for the $75 i paid for it on ebay!

Oh, and thank y'all for the tips on callibrating / adjusting colors & contrast. I had completely forgot you could do that. :p

I didn't install and won't install 3dMark. I do have a 9800 Pro, i'm not trashing the card in anyway. In fact, I can say...I LOVE the card.

I can't believe some people are so hardcore about defending "their" card I need to prove something like that.

Anyway, like lopoetve said, everything was on good terms. Now back to UT2k4 at 1600x1200 :)

digital vibrance is in the eye of the beholder get used of it :rolleyes: To me it looks plain fuckin awful it looks almost like cartoon colors:p
If you want it on ATI then just play around with the damed gamma settings and bingo you have digital vibrance,The only diffrence is it doesnt have nvidia in its name and you have to set it your self;)

Back