• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9800 Pro 256 cuaght fire

Dithium

Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2000
Messages
602
Well a couple of weeks ago my 9800 Pro caught on fire right by the molex connector. The whole system shut down and the lovely smell of burnt semiconductors came over me. I looked at the case and smoke was coming out. I ripped the power cord out and the case door open. A flame was visible right by the molex connector to the video card. I immediately called ATI and they were pretty good about the whole thing, but it apparently fried my whole system (sucks). I contacted ATI and they sent Fedex to come and pickup the video card the next work day for analysis to see if the power supply or the card caused the problem. I still have power to the system fans, but no boot screen. It appears either the processor, memory, or the motherboard is fried. I can't find any burn marks anywhere else on the system components, but it sure sounds dead to me. I wonder if ATI will replace my system? Doubt it, but that's what I"m shooting for. Hell, the components weren't to cheap either:

Memory: Corsair 1 gig CAS 2 Pro XMS (512x2)
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-7VT600
Processor: AMD 3200XP

Who knows the status of my sound card and NIC? Those are cheap enought to replace, but the other components are going to cost me if I have to replace them. I contacted ATI and left a VM in the RMA department.

Has anyone ever had components other then the faulty video card replaced due to a faulty card? If so, what came out of it?
 
I can't help answer your question, but will say that you should definitely press them to replace components that were fried. Best thing to do would be to isolate the components that are busted in another computer - that way you know what parts to demand be replaced. They'll never give you a whole new computer...

But then again, if the fault lies with your PS you can pretty much guarantee that you'll get nothing in return (propably not even a new VC).

This is pretty nuts. Post back with updates.
 
Take a look at your homeowner's policy - you may find coverage there to replace the damaged components.
 
Mister E said:
PICTURES!!! :D

agreed!

but condolences too it does suck :(

i wonder if it could have caused any real damage if your pc was left unattended when the fire started, or if the fire would have died out before getting dangerous. pretty scary. my pc is on 24x7 and unattended about 70% of that time.
 
Nothing overclocked at all. As a matter of fact I just finish putting a hole on the side case panel to let some cool air in. I did take the panel off when I cut the hole and it was properly cleaned. I don't have any pics. The gf had the camera and she was out of town when it happened. I couldn't believe they picked it up so fast though. However, I'm still questioning if they will replace the damaged parts.

As for checking out the components that are broke. Well, put it this way if I put a shorted out piece in a working PC it is not possible that I could fry that PC as well. That is my major concern. I don't want to have two broke dick PCs around. My gaming PC is bad enough.

I just finished building the system and everything was working just fine. My flight sims never looked so good with all the bells and whistles on. IL2 was incredible as was Combat Flight Sim 3. I was in mid flight when I crashed...bad pun.

As for leaving my PC on...well sometimes it's on sometimes it's not. I don't even run with VM enabled. Just load everything to RAM. The performance increases you get from doing that are pretty noticable. A lot of people forget to do that when they have enough memory. Unless your doing some intense desktop publishing I highly recommend it.
 
I have about the same components as you do..

whats the brand of PSU?

it might be the card, im running a 5900 Ultra... but my first guess is the PSU.
 
Dithium said:
As for leaving my PC on...well sometimes it's on sometimes it's not. I don't even run with VM enabled. Just load everything to RAM. The performance increases you get from doing that are pretty noticable. A lot of people forget to do that when they have enough memory. Unless your doing some intense desktop publishing I highly recommend it.

how much ram have you got? i do a lot of photoshopping and video work and would love to disable the page file but ive heard you need at least 4gb to do that due to how programs operate and memory space :-Z

keep us updated on the replacement, i hope the rest of your system works, i think its unlikely the card toasted anything else in your system, although without knowing what caused the fire we are all just guessing :)
 
Back
Top