9800 PRO 128Mb

I just received this video card, what I can do with it as far as overclocking goes with the stock cooling? Can I flash to a 9800 XT, is there any advantages to this? Is it going to shorten the life of my card? Thanks

1- check the other threads, every card varies but a few people have posted their overclocks in this forum, just to give you a basis of comparison. Try the "what's your 9800 pro overclock", for one.

2- no. XT != pro, there are enough changes you can't flash back and forth. /edit: maybe I'm wrong here, looking at some other threads...not sure...

3- overclocking may shorten the life of your card if you do serious volt mods and run it hot, but a modest overclock, modest overvolt, and good cooling will keep your card running for years and years and years.

Yep, check other threads.

Overclockability varies from card to card. On stock cooling, it's reasonable to expect clocks equivalent to a stock XT card (412/365) or better. With improved cooling you can get more. Core usually maxxes out around 440-460 depending, memory usually 365-385. Check out reviews using google, search of overclocking a 9800 Pro.

A flash to XT is probably not the best idea, there are some issues when doing that with a 128 MB Pro (since XT is 256 MB), it really only effects the clocks. Overclocking does effect the lifespan of your card but if you don't press the overclock to snow/artifacting/etc. and don't do any voltmods, the card should last well past its useability as an acceptable gaming card. There are always exceptions but if you want the best guarantee, considering improving the stock cooling.

Back