980 ti $650

Fair price.

Going to wait for some reviews before I consider replacing my 980s.......:cool:

Now where is that thread I read this afternoon that said the "official" price was 799? LoL.

$549 is a fair price. $650 is too expensive.
980 should be lowered to $449.

Good...Good...

I will wait on AMD to see how the market sorts itself out and then make my purchase...

Well at least I don't have to read that it was going to be 3,000 cores and faster than the TiX anymore. I couldn't help but respond how that didn't really make sense. 2800 cores is more than I expected though, I guessed 25xx.

$650 is a steal compared to the 780ti that had a price tag of $100 IIRC...
You might want to review your comment...

And the whole world is right at your fingertips so "IIRC" makes no sense when something can be looked up in a matter of seconds.

Well at least I don't have to read that it was going to be 3,000 cores and faster than the TiX anymore. I couldn't help but respond how that didn't really make sense. 2800 cores is more than I expected though, I guessed 25xx.

Some benchmarks have it faster. But the difference between the two cards is negligible.

At least you guys living in the US are lucky, it costs like $1K here in Australia though I knew it, but I thought if it was like $650 US it would be like $800 or something here.

When do Newegg/Amazon/EVGA throw these up on their site? I think I might just pick one of these up instead.

please amazon!!!

11312628_10153866580387388_855119741145590645_o.jpg

Last edited:
Already selling out everywhere.
EVGA went out of stock on Newegg in an hour or two.

These will sell even better than the TX, obviously. And those have been in short supply.

Waiting for the asus strix/matrix or evga classified version this time around. I have no idea when they're available.

Hmmm, I can understand the MSRP, but I would think that a $550 street price would be more realistic.
Why? The 780 Ti launched at the same price ($649 US), so this makes sense. If they lower the 980 to $499 then the product line will be exactly like 700-series Kepler.

Is witcher 3 a part of the bundle or just batman from what it looks?

It's a good deal because Nvidia knows they're about to get #rekt by Fiji.

While I would love to see this happen (competition is good, etc, yada yada), with the increased amount of g sync and freesync monitors coming out I believe this is more about an investment in the future. Once you buy into to one of these two monitor technologies you are more likely to stay with that brand. Many people change out their computers or parts of them (especially video cards) fairly often... but people who change monitors often are much rarer. There are definitely people (especially on this forum) who change their monitors yearly or even more, but compared to the people who are upgrading video cards, not even close. And high end gaming is where the market is for both g sync and freesync. Get people to invest in one or the other and you have a lock on many GPU upgrades.

I really hope AMD brings the hammer down but I have my doubts. I don't think thats the motivation for nVidia bringing the gtx 980 Ti in at an effective 400 dollar gap with the Titan X (which have been running at least $1050) right now. We are now at a time were 1080p is on its way out for the enthusiast crowd (which the 980 Ti is firmly positioned in) and higher resolutions like 1440p, ultra wide, and 4k are becoming the next big upgrade. CPU, memory, harddrive/SSD, all have performance upgrades available over the last year(s), but performance increases aren't that big compared to the GPU market. Monitor resolution and gpu performance are some of the only significant performance upgrades you can make right now for the high end user.

Once you are using that g sync monitor and gtx 980 Ti, how much harder is it going to be to jump on AMD's next GPU that has a similar performance and similar enough price? Are you willing to trade out your monitor every time the performance crown seesaws back and forth? I'm sure not and right now I am planning a summer upgrade to either 1440p or 3440x1440 ultra wide along with a new GPU to replace my 670's in SLI. I have no idea at this point if I will be going g sync, freesync, or typical standard refresh monitor along with my new GPU. Its all going to come down to price/performance and nVidia has a good chance of keeping me on green team with the 980 Ti.

While I would love to see this happen (competition is good, etc, yada yada), with the increased amount of g sync and freesync monitors coming out I believe this is more about an investment in the future. Once you buy into to one of these two monitor technologies you are more likely to stay with that brand. Many people change out their computers or parts of them (especially video cards) fairly often... but people who change monitors often are much rarer. There are definitely people (especially on this forum) who change their monitors yearly or even more, but compared to the people who are upgrading video cards, not even close. And high end gaming is where the market is for both g sync and freesync. Get people to invest in one or the other and you have a lock on many GPU upgrades.

I really hope AMD brings the hammer down but I have my doubts. I don't think thats the motivation for nVidia bringing the gtx 980 Ti in at an effective 400 dollar gap with the Titan X (which have been running at least $1050) right now. We are now at a time were 1080p is on its way out for the enthusiast crowd (which the 980 Ti is firmly positioned in) and higher resolutions like 1440p, ultra wide, and 4k are becoming the next big upgrade. CPU, memory, harddrive/SSD, all have performance upgrades available over the last year(s), but performance increases aren't that big compared to the GPU market. Monitor resolution and gpu performance are some of the only significant performance upgrades you can make right now for the high end user.

Once you are using that g sync monitor and gtx 980 Ti, how much harder is it going to be to jump on AMD's next GPU that has a similar performance and similar enough price? Are you willing to trade out your monitor every time the performance crown seesaws back and forth? I'm sure not and right now I am planning a summer upgrade to either 1440p or 3440x1440 ultra wide along with a new GPU to replace my 670's in SLI. I have no idea at this point if I will be going g sync, freesync, or typical standard refresh monitor along with my new GPU. Its all going to come down to price/performance and nVidia has a good chance of keeping me on green team with the 980 Ti.
The new flagship could literally be twice as fast as the 980 Ti for $200 and people would still find excuses to not buy it. And it certainly won't turn around their 80/20 marketshare woes overnight. So regardless of how successful Fiji is, it's just a drop in the ocean... Especially for people who actively go out of their way to find any excuses to hate AMD.

Ouch to Titan X owners, could have got SLI 980ti for just a few hundred more and has massive performance gains....what a slap to the face.

The new flagship could literally be twice as fast as the 980 Ti for $200 and people would still find excuses to not buy it. And it certainly won't turn around their 80/20 marketshare woes overnight. So regardless of how successful Fiji is, it's just a drop in the ocean... Especially for people who actively go out of their way to find any excuses to hate AMD.

I really ideally would like to see a nasty, close bloodwar at all times between the two companies so I hope Fiji comes out and turns heads.

We need it to regardless of what brand people tend to favor.

Ouch to Titan X owners, could have got SLI 980ti for just a few hundred more and has massive performance gains....what a slap to the face.

Might there be a Titan XX (Pronounced Double-X) to offset this move by NVIDIA?

And what would the dos equis be?
Nvidia is going to magically pull Pascal out of their ass a year and a half early.

I doubt this price will move at all in response to Fiji.
It's releasing days before Fiji's launch, Nvidia already knows what to expect. This is Nvidia's response to "Fury".
Same goes for the GTX 980's price cut.

Based on past models you can expect an AMD-equivalent card for $500-$600.

Actually with the influx of freesync monitors and the potential for their flagship to be significantly better than nVidia, this would be the time for them to develop market share by doing the same thing nVidia is right now- bringing a lower priced than expected GPU to the top end, even though they would be bleeding even more money.

I also think the people who actively hate AMD (or nVidia) are a smaller percentage than the extremely vocal ones we find here on the forums would make it appear. There are always the apple/android, nVidia/AMD, AMD/Intel, Ford/Chevy/etc people who jump on their soap boxes every chance they get, but just because they are loud and post on every thread about their favorite/least favorite brand doesn't mean there aren't a lot more people who are going to buy what seems the most logical at the time.

Actually with the influx of freesync monitors and the potential for their flagship to be significantly better than nVidia, this would be the time for them to develop market share by doing the same thing nVidia is right now- bringing a lower priced than expected GPU to the top end, even though they would be bleeding even more money.

I also think the people who actively hate AMD (or nVidia) are a smaller percentage than the extremely vocal ones we find here on the forums would make it appear. There are always the apple/android, nVidia/AMD, AMD/Intel, Ford/Chevy/etc people who jump on their soap boxes every chance they get, but just because they are loud and post on every thread about their favorite/least favorite brand doesn't mean there aren't a lot more people who are going to buy what seems the most logical at the time.
With the move to HBM, DX12, Windows 10, combined with Nvidia's PR disasters over the last few months: AMD is in a prime position to overtake Nvidia in the DX12 era (next 3-5+ years).
It's too early to say "AMD is going to drop the ball" but it's starting to look like they're going to drop the ball.

I don't agree at all. If AMD could deliver their Fiji at $200 even with a limit of 4GB they would bury Nvidia. Unfortunately everyone knows Fiji is new and therefore expensive and AMD will have very little wiggle room in price to make a profit. So Nvidia just put out a card they know will sell well in a target price range they estimate will be around where Fiji is going to be at. AMD wants to make a Titan like Top of the line card to help recoup the R&D put into Fiji, but Nvidia just effectively said "try to sell a high end card now".

I expect this Fiji to be faster than what nvidia has, and it might even come with a surprise or two (maybe a smaller process node?). But I do think nvidia will end up selling more 980 Tis than AMD sells Fijis, and probably at better margins too.

I expect this Fiji to be faster than what nvidia has, and it might even come with a surprise or two (maybe a smaller process node?). But I do think nvidia will end up selling more 980 Tis than AMD sells Fijis, and probably at better margins too.

Pretty much this.

I expect this Fiji to be faster than what nvidia has, and it might even come with a surprise or two (maybe a smaller process node?)

Like lazy driver support and no optimization on day 1 of major game launches. Then again that wouldn't really be a surprise.

I'll never go back to the nightmare that was AMD drivers during my Radeon years, but my wallet thanks AMD fanbois for their blind devotion since my new 980Ti would've probably cost more and come out even later if not for AMD's still barely hanging on.

Last edited:
Back